advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone have the new two dose shingles vaccine yet?
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 11, 2018 08:40AM
I have heard it hurts more than the other, but wondered if anyone can confirm this.
I have a meet and greet appointment with my new GP doctor in a couple of weeks and I was going to ask about getting it. I am somewhat of a needlephobe, so I wanted to prepare myself, if it was going to be worse than just a regular stick.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone have the new two dose shingles vaccine yet?
Posted by: willmill
Date: July 11, 2018 08:50AM
I had the first dose about 8-10 weeks ago and did not notice any more or less discomfort than with the old vaccine. I'm due for the second shot, but it is not available locally at present. Fortunately, there is a 3-4 month window to get the follow up injection. Go for it.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 11, 2018 09:00AM
I haven’t had the shots yet, but I investigated my Medicare coverage for them last week. IIRC, Medicare pays 30%, which worked out to be about $50 responsibility for me. This is what it will cost if I get the shots at my pharmacy, because the coverage is provided by my Medicare prescription policy. I’m not sure what the coverage would be if I asked for the shots in a clinic. I plan to go ahead anyway because I understand that they are very effective against what can be a very painful condition.

Inside every old person is a young person saying "what happened?"

“Love is the motive, but justice is the instrument.” - Reinhold Niebuhr

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Date: July 11, 2018 09:23AM
I have heard that the vaccine was in short supply right now, so that may play into when I actually get mine. I am now with Kaiser, and I have no idea how it works with getting vaccines, as far as where and how much they pay. I guess I will find out on the 25th.

Posted by: J Marston
Date: July 11, 2018 11:28AM
My GP gave me shot #1, mentioned that some people had headaches, a sorer-than-normal injection site, etc.

I didn't have any of that. Felt no different than a tetanus booster. I'm not worried about dose #2.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 11, 2018 11:42AM
I had shot #1 in April. This post on the forum details my experience. I realize that there's no active virus in the new vaccine, but there's no doubt I got shingles for the first time days after the injection. My case has been reported.

Posted by: Kraniac
Date: July 11, 2018 12:02PM
My Dad..who is early 90's got it the other day and he said he felt @#$%& for the rest of the day..said it was a very messed up feeling and had to go home and lay down to wait it out. haven't heard anything after that..
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 11, 2018 02:10PM
I'm due for my second dose beginning August 4. No issues with the first dose but my wife said her arm was sore for days longer than the three days until I could not feel anything from the injection site. I suggested she get the second dose in one of her butt cheeks.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 11, 2018 04:47PM
I found it to be on the same level of soreness as a tetanus shot.

I have now had the new vaccine, the old vaccine, and prior to all that a case of shingles. Not sure why my doctor keeps jabbing me, I thought that having a case of it was enough to stave it off from now on?

Posted by: PeterW
Date: July 11, 2018 07:01PM
Shingles is not one and done. Chances of a recurrence are the same as getting it in the first place - about one in three. [www.health.harvard.edu]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 11, 2018 10:30PM
I can assure you, shingles are FAR FAR FAR worse than 2 needle sticks.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 12, 2018 02:42AM
I am somewhat of a needlephobe

I'm right there with you, sister, except maybe for the 'somewhat' part.

I don't like 'em. At all.

When I went into the service, there were lots of needles and I just didn't look. No fainting, at least on my part, but there was queasy. Later the gun was used. I like that, quick with about the same pain level, but no freakin' needle. Some guys did flinch and the gun cut a little swath in their arm.

I found it to be on the same level of soreness as a tetanus shot.

That's um... Disappointing. Tetanus shots have always near put my arm OOS for the better part of two days, and sore for three more. I never like them.

My flu vaccine shot this year was imperceptible. The nurse grabbed some skin, and maybe pinched it a little. That's all I felt, not the stick at all.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 12, 2018 06:34AM
Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.
And as far as the “somewhat” of a needlephobe, I was trying to sound brave. I hate needles, a lot. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 06:35AM by rgG.
Posted by: billb
Date: July 12, 2018 09:48AM
After having endured shingles which presented itself in the temporal nerves ( approximately from just below the inner ear, across the eyebrow and up over the top of the skull ) over the course of close to three weeks I usually highly recommend anyone get the shot(s). Especially if you have no or low tolerance for pain (ie stinging, stabbing burning neuropathic pain ).

If you're looking for excuses, the shot is no guarantee you won't have to endure an episode of shingles,but documented odds are in alleviation's favor. You might also be one of the lucky ones who have a reaction of some sort to the shot, including but not limited to actually triggering the shingles. Again, odds.

Shingles won't kill you despite the contrarian fear-mongering hype but you certainly wouldn't want to add the complication on top of any life threatening conditions you might already be enduring and there is some evidence that points to shingles being triggered by physiological stress. It's one thing to endure shingles when you are healthy another when you are not. And "you are not" could be something as simple as fighting the simple cold virus and the double whammy complicating into pneumonia.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015