Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple brings in AI expert will fix Siri’s serious flaws
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: July 11, 2018 09:59AM
[www.cultofmac.com]

Craig Federighi is no longer in charge of Siri. Responsibility for Apple’s troubled voice assistant has been given to John Giannandrea, who is now in charge of all Apple’s artificial intelligence efforts.

Siri is seen as poor competition for Amazon Alexa, Microsoft Cortana, and Google Assistant. Its weakness is hurting sales of Apple products, including the HomePod.

Giannandrea was recently lured away from Google‘s artificial intelligence division. Apple’s website was updated today to indicate that he “oversees the strategy for Artificial Intelligence and machine learning across the company and development of Core ML and Siri technologies.”

Federighi remains Apple’s SVP of Software Engineering, responsible for overseeing iOS and macOS. The only change is that Siri isn’t on the list any more.

One of the biggest challenges facing Apple’s new Chief of Machine Learning and AI Strategy is the company’s strong stance on privacy. Unlike Amazon and Google, Apple refuses to gather data about its users wholesale. It won’t save recordings of everything anyone says to their smartspeaker and use that to improve Siri. That’s an efficient way to work, but it provides little privacy protection for users.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple brings in AI expert will fix Siri’s serious flaws
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 11, 2018 12:54PM
I'll believe it when I see it. FAR too often, Siri is useless. angry villagers smiley

I've had MUCH results using OK Google. boink smiley
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 11, 2018 01:25PM
The one and only thing I ever use Siri for is on the AppleTV I tell it to "Turn on subtitles".
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: July 11, 2018 04:54PM
Actually, Siri works pretty well for me, although I don't ask him to do a whole lot: call so&so, remind me about such&such, wake me up before it's too late, find a route with no tolls, and so on (mine is a Mr. Siri).
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 11, 2018 10:07PM
A-Polly
Actually, Siri works pretty well for me, although I don't ask him to do a whole lot: call so&so, remind me about such&such, wake me up before it's too late, find a route with no tolls, and so on (mine is a Mr. Siri).

I'll to try Mr Siri! Ms Siri is a joke in our household, where Alexa rules the roost.
Posted by: fauch
Date: July 15, 2018 06:34PM
I'm happy if Siri actually understands what I say properly, forget actually responding properly...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 268
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018