advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mini(for)Me ? Mac Mini Upgrade coming in the fall ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 11, 2018 12:39PM
[www.macrumors.com]

"Mac mini - Kuo didn't have a lot of information to share on the Mac mini, but he says a processor upgrade is expected. The Mac mini has not been updated for more than 1,300 days, aka over 3 and a half years. It's not clear if additional upgrades will be included, such as a redesigned chassis, but at least some kind of refresh is on the horizon."

Hopefully this upgrade will not involve a 'worse' processor like the last one.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mini(for)Me ? Mac Mini Upgrade coming in the fall ?
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 11, 2018 12:58PM
"It's not clear if additional upgrades will be included ... but at least some kind of refresh is on the horizon."

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 11, 2018 01:32PM
cbelt3
[www.macrumors.com]

"Mac mini - Kuo didn't have a lot of information to share on the Mac mini, but he says a processor upgrade is expected. The Mac mini has not been updated for more than 1,300 days, aka over 3 and a half years. It's not clear if additional upgrades will be included, such as a redesigned chassis, but at least some kind of refresh is on the horizon."

I was about to post that you can't get a worst processor but I suppose Apple could go batshit crazy and put in an Atom-class or Core-Y processor. Or an A10.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 11, 2018 02:16PM
Lew Zealand
cbelt3
[www.macrumors.com]

I was about to post that you can't get a worst processor but I suppose Apple could go batshit crazy and put in an Atom-class or Core-Y processor. Or an A10.
Hey, I hear good things about that Intel Pentium.... devil smiley
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: July 11, 2018 02:53PM
I just bought the 2014 model off eBay. That guarantees a new one is right around the corner.

Bryan
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 11, 2018 03:24PM
Lew Zealand
I was about to post that you can't get a worst processor but I suppose Apple could go batshit crazy and put in an Atom-class or Core-Y processor.

You mean like the one in the retina MacBook, the laptop sized cell phone?

The current mini is 4 generations behind in processor technology. You need at least a 7xxx generation processor to best handle 4K video. I keep hoping one of the large PC manufacturer will make a current low end machine that is 100% macOS compatible. If it has happened, I haven't heard about it.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Date: July 11, 2018 04:12PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Lew Zealand
I was about to post that you can't get a worst processor but I suppose Apple could go batshit crazy and put in an Atom-class or Core-Y processor.

The current mini is 4 generations behind in processor technology. You need at least a 7xxx generation processor to best handle 4K video. I keep hoping one of the large PC manufacturer will make a current low end machine that is 100% macOS compatible. If it has happened, I haven't heard about it.

The Core Y in the Retina MacBook serves a purpose: for a light and thin at all costs computer for people who need a convenience machine, not a work machine. I have no problem with that and bought one for my Mom and she loves it.

The Mini has no need for that extreme of a form factor, though it started as a desktop version of Apple's then smallest laptop, the iBook. They *could* make a crazy small desktop from the Core Y or A10 if they wanted.

They probably want to.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 11, 2018 07:13PM
Lew Zealand
Filliam H. Muffman
Lew Zealand

The Core Y in the Retina MacBook serves a purpose: for a light and thin at all costs computer for people who need a convenience machine, not a work machine. I have no problem with that and bought one for my Mom and she loves it.

The Mini has no need for that extreme of a form factor, though it started as a desktop version of Apple's then smallest laptop, the iBook. They *could* make a crazy small desktop from the Core Y or A10 if they wanted.

They probably want to.

All they need to do is put the motherboard for the retina MacBook in a phablet sized case, but as-is it would be a little wider than the current mini. Maybe after they sell a few million more of the MacBook to amortize the production... I think there is a chance Apple will make a mid-range desktop with an ARM chip before a low-end one, the former has been their M.O. in the past.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Mac Mini Upgrade coming in the fall ?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 12, 2018 02:23AM
No. Not.Going.to.Happen.

I just bought the 2014 model off eBay. That guarantees a new one is right around the corner.

Ok, then. Between the two of us, it's almost a lock that there will be a new and improved mini later this year.

4K/60Hz, two monitors, 24G RAM. (They'll add one slot, and limit the addressing to 24G instead of just using two and giving as a full 32G.)

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 12, 2018 07:42AM
I, too, gave up and purchased a replace mini at work this year. Hope it helps with a true refresh!
Re: Mac Mini Upgrade coming in the fall ?
Date: July 12, 2018 01:39PM
RAMd®d
4K/60Hz, two monitors, 24G RAM. (They'll add one slot, and limit the addressing to 24G instead of just using two and giving as a full 32G.)

So speaks a true connoisseur of Apple History. That is *exactly* the type of thing Apple would do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 291
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018