advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is your phone doing all it should...or maybe too much?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 11, 2018 03:04PM
So, in China (and other places), if you try to pay cash instead of using your phone, they look at you strangely. Boarding a bus or train, soon the same. Collection point for your sensor data (smart watch etc), yup. Track you movements...hmm. Talks to you intelligently (well, okay, maybe not Siri). Is there anything you want your smart handheld computer (originally a phone) to do that it doesn't. Or are the things it does over the line already.
Apple and Android answers welcomed.

extra points- Do you think folks are getting all they would want or are they just happy doing Facebook, texting, Snapping or playing a few simple games?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 03:06PM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is your phone doing all it should...or maybe too much?
Posted by: timg
Date: July 11, 2018 03:26PM
What I'd really like my phone to do (Android not Apple sad smiley ) is last more than half a day on a full charge ...

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 11, 2018 03:33PM
I'd say that Apple got ApplePay right. At merchants that accept ApplePay, ApplePay generally "just works" for me. On my Samsung Galaxy phones (first an S7Edge+, now a Note 8), paying is FAR more "hit and miss" (mostly miss).

Here in the US, I don't see cash going away anytime soon. Personally, I will NOT use a debit card (if I want someone to have money from my checking account, I'll write them a check). If I'm not paying cash, I put everything possible on my Discover Card. DC has provided EXCELLENT customer service for decades.

For anyone concerned with being continuously being tracked, there are two simple solutions. Put your smart device in airplane mode or, just turn it off altogether until you need it. Sadly, most of the calls I receive are BS telemarketers. On my Note 8, I report EVERY BS call through the "Should I Answer" app. My Note is on T-MobiIe Senior Plan and, T-Mo often alerts me when they suspect an incoming call is BS. For BS calls that come in on my iPhone8+ (on Verizon), I'm not aware of an iOS app where said BS calls can be reported and added to a database. I simply add them to a "BLOCKED" Contact in my Contacts app.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 11, 2018 03:46PM
I want it to completly replace my wallet. Drivers lic, costco card, target card -- and have every place I shop take it.

I dont want to use cash ever, not even at a farmers market or a food truck or any other hold out. square and paypal readers are free. Swipe and done.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 11, 2018 03:56PM
I still use cash to help limit my spending. I get strange looks now at some restaurant/grocery when I pull out the cash, they seem to always statistically expect a credit/debit card from my apparent demographic. I don't think I have seen someone use a checkbook at the local chain grocery store in six months.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: timg
Date: July 11, 2018 04:18PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I still use cash to help limit my spending. I get strange looks now at some restaurant/grocery when I pull out the cash, they seem to always statistically expect a credit/debit card from my apparent demographic. I don't think I have seen someone use a checkbook at the local chain grocery store in six months.

Go after midnight ... that's when I see them using their checkbooks.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: July 11, 2018 04:57PM
jdc
I want it to completly replace my wallet. Drivers lic, costco card, target card -- and have every place I shop take it.

I remember having a few apps that would collect your various membership cards so you could have them w/o having a wallet full of them. Later on, one by one, each of the places we went to (e.g., the zoo, the kids museum, the art museum) stopped allowing that, saying that people were sharing cards illegally. (I'm not sure "illegally" is the right word but that's what they'd say)

Bloody Nora; if you're going to be like that, just make my DL# my membership number, and I can use my DL for my entry.

same as it ever was
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 11, 2018 07:36PM
timg
Filliam H. Muffman

Go after midnight ... that's when I see them using their checkbooks.

I still see seniors use checkbooks at the supermarket. The cashiers don't care. But the people standing in line behind them ever so quietly grumble under their breath.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 11, 2018 07:44PM
testcase
I'd say that Apple got ApplePay right. At merchants that accept ApplePay, ApplePay generally "just works" for me. On my Samsung Galaxy phones (first an S7Edge+, now a Note 8), paying is FAR more "hit and miss" (mostly miss).

Here in the US, I don't see cash going away anytime soon. Personally, I will NOT use a debit card (if I want someone to have money from my checking account, I'll write them a check). If I'm not paying cash, I put everything possible on my Discover Card. DC has provided EXCELLENT customer service for decades.

For anyone concerned with being continuously being tracked, there are two simple solutions. Put your smart device in airplane mode or, just turn it off altogether until you need it. Sadly, most of the calls I receive are BS telemarketers. On my Note 8, I report EVERY BS call through the "Should I Answer" app. My Note is on T-MobiIe Senior Plan and, T-Mo often alerts me when they suspect an incoming call is BS. For BS calls that come in on my iPhone8+ (on Verizon), I'm not aware of an iOS app where said BS calls can be reported and added to a database. I simply add them to a "BLOCKED" Contact in my Contacts app.

Have you looked at the Hiya app? There's another one that I can't remember the name of right now.
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 11, 2018 07:48PM
Went to a Mets game this past weekend with virtual tickets using the StubHub app.
Took the train there using virtual tickets for myself and the fam on the MTA eTix app.
Beer and food all bought using a credit card.

There are still uses for cash for me.
Used cash to buy some fruit from a street vendor.
Used cash to tip the waitress at a bar.
Used cash to pay the swim coach at the local pool
Will use $5 cash to pay for a bowling outing at summer rec for daughter.
Date: July 11, 2018 08:03PM
testcase
For anyone concerned with being continuously being tracked,

Not to hijack, but who here really thinks they are?

Apple pay uses a unique # every time, and cards are stored on your phone only, so...

----

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 11, 2018 09:41PM
jdc

I dont want to use cash ever, not even at a farmers market or a food truck or any other hold out. square and paypal readers are free. Swipe and done.

THIS and then more! I want my phone to open my house door and open and start my car. The works. I want one thing to do EVERYTHING. One device in my pocket to do everything.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 12, 2018 01:42AM
I want to put my CDL, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance on my 'Phone.

CA, and most of not all other states allow one to put their proof of insurance on an electronic device.

CA Vehicle Code requires the (official) registration or facsimile copy be kept with the vehicle, with a couple of exceptions. While not specially allowing it to be kept on an electronic device, one might catch a pass at a traffic stop, and/or maybe in court. It would depend on how facsimile was defined and by who, LOL.

There's almost zero chance a DL could be acceptable on a phone or iPad.

That said, I'd want an app that when launched, would demand a password to open. It would contain the above three document and would not let the viewer move from that folder to any other screen or app, without again entering a password.

This is now probably not advisable, since the phone would in the hands of a police agent, and possibly susceptible to Grayshift-type intrusion.

It was nice while it lasted.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 12, 2018 12:07PM
C(-)ris
jdc

THIS and then more! I want my phone to open my house door and open and start my car. The works. I want one thing to do EVERYTHING. One device in my pocket to do everything.

Sounds good, but what do you do if your all in one device fails? What would be your plan B? dunno smiley

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Date: July 12, 2018 12:48PM
Rick-o
Sounds good, but what do you do if your all in one device fails? What would be your plan B? dunno smiley

Kinda same as losing your wallet or keys. Call AAA! ;)

----

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: July 12, 2018 08:11PM
Rick-o
C(-)ris
jdc

Restore from my iCloud backup to a spare of a new one? Will always have the mechanical keys or a fob for backup.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 12, 2018 10:38PM
Love ApplePay.

Would really like it to replace my identity card.

I still connect my iPhone periodically to my iMac, so I have both iCloud and local backups.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 10:38PM by sekker.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 232
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015