Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
World Cup SPOILERS!
Posted by: DP
Date: July 11, 2018 03:57PM
Croatia 2, England 1

Croatia advances to first World Cup final with dramatic extra-time win over England

In the beginning, it was quintessential England. In the end, it was quintessential Mario Mandzukic; it is the end of England’s magical World Cup run; and it is the continuation of Croatia’s.

Croatia, a country of just over 4 million people, advanced to its first-ever World Cup final with a dramatic 2-1 extra-time victory over the English on Wednesday. Mandzukic’s predatory 109th-minute goal booked a date with France in Sunday’s final

[www.yahoo.com]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: World Cup SPOILERS!
Posted by: hal
Date: July 11, 2018 04:15PM
Kind of a snooze fest until Croatia tied it. Then it was really even, great fun. I was getting all ready for a France/England match - that would have been one of the oldest rivalries of all time.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 11, 2018 04:39PM
I'm heartbroken. I really thought England would go to the Final. sad smiley

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 11, 2018 04:50PM
My brother-in-law (who was a FIFA qualified ref) told us to watch Croatia back in the group play. He said they could play with abandon and were more talented than other teams gave credit for.

He knows his stuff (but I still expect France to win)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Buck
Date: July 11, 2018 05:23PM
England stopped playing after the 1st goal. They can only blame themselves.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 11, 2018 05:26PM
Fantastic match, especially after it got tied up. It went from forgone conclusion that England would win (since they clearly outclassed Croatia until that goal) to high stakes time all the way to the end. I'm sad that England lost, but better a high stakes tense game than a lopsided snoozefest. The England team are still babes in arms and did a great job considering their youth and relative inexperience on the world stage. It would have been a fairy tale to have them prevail on their first outing. Expect to see them back.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 05:34PM by davester.
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 11, 2018 07:32PM
Belgium/England will be a good match on Sat. I think those Brits can manage a 3rd place.
France/Croatia. Goin with the underdog Croats.
Posted by: max
Date: July 11, 2018 08:41PM
$tevie
I'm heartbroken. I really thought England would go to the Final. sad smiley

hehehehe....
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 11, 2018 10:28PM
davester
The England team are still babes in arms and did a great job considering their youth and relative inexperience on the world stage. It would have been a fairy tale to have them prevail on their first outing. Expect to see them back.
I'm still sad (I love a good fairy tale) but you are totally correct.

Posted by: btfc
Date: July 11, 2018 11:31PM
England looked like the better team early on. Croatia was doing a lot of pushing and grabbing. Later, England looked a little tired and Croatia kept beating them to the ball.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 183
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015