advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
NEST - What do I need to know?
Posted by: Markiscool
Date: July 11, 2018 07:25PM
Wife and I are thinking about upgrading out ancient HVAC controller to a NEST. Anyone with experience that can give us pros/cons and tell me things to look out for?

-M
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: NEST - What do I need to know?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 11, 2018 07:58PM
I don't know if NEST customer support will respond to you unless you have bought the unit, but you could try. Their site has a list of incompatible systems you can check before calling.

The Ecobee website has an online compatibility checker to evaluate your current thermostat wiring setup to see if it should work.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 11, 2018 08:38PM
Get sensors. They cost extra. But they give you a better read of the temp of your house.
I went with ecobee because the nest would have cost a lot more for the same setup with sensors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 08:39PM by Carm.
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 11, 2018 08:54PM
I went with ecobee also. Like it so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 08:55PM by Cary.
Date: July 11, 2018 09:43PM
Remove your old thermostat from the wall to check if the blue wire is there. That’s the “extra” wire required by these new thermostats. The ecobee came with an adapter if yours doesn’t have a blue wire. Both my units had a blue wire, but one wasn’t wired correctly, so I had to climb into the attic to check the wires and why it wasn’t wired correctly (someone being lazy). It was wired incorrectly at the thermostat (wrong colors) but the colors matched the ac units terminals. Checked wires with multimeter and reconnected correctly.

(AC blower/fan electronics) in attic. One unit died and had to be replaced. Had to cut a hole in ceiling to replace it.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 11, 2018 10:11PM
you don't need to know anything. Google knows everything about you.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 12, 2018 12:34AM
Markiscool
NEST - What do I need to know?

You need to know that you should avoid Nest and seek out an alternative like ecobee.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 12, 2018 06:41AM
I had great experience with my downstairs Nest so I got another for the bonus room upstairs. The downstairs was pretty simple to install. I followed the diagram and got it working with no issues at all.

The upstairs had several more wires that I could not figure out. After exhausting the Google i chatted with Nest support. They asked for my current t-stat plus the make and model of my heat pump. A few minutes after sending them that info, I received a customized wiring diagram to install my Nest. It was a great experience. And its been humming along fine since then.

I'm still trying to figure out the advantage of having multiple sensors in different rooms. I just don't see the point unless you also have the ability to control the temp in those same rooms. If i want the house cool, I set it to cool. Whether the sensor is at my t-stat or in my bedroom, its going to be set to cool. Now if i had a way to control the vents individually that would be a different story.

Date: July 12, 2018 07:33AM
Now if i had a way to control the vents individually that would be a different story.

[keenhome.io]
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 12, 2018 08:08AM
space-time
Now if i had a way to control the vents individually that would be a different story.

[keenhome.io]

And I'll be all over those as soon as they make a baseboard vent version.

Posted by: Mactel
Date: July 12, 2018 10:09AM
I have a Nest and have been happy with it but if I ever had to buy a new thermostat, I would go ecobee since it supports Homekit. Once Google bought Nest I was disappointed.
Date: July 12, 2018 12:26PM
Here are the advantages I have encountered with multiple sensors.
Monitor multiple room temp (main reason I bought the ecobee): some rooms are warmer than others in my house, so I needed to turn down the thermostat to make up for the difference (baby monitor was the temp monitor in baby room). Ecobee monitors and does adjusting automatically averaging the temp of all the rooms. The smart home feature turns on the AC to your comfort settings (see below)

Sensors also monitor if the room is occupied - auto adjusting the temp if you get home early or take the day off. I know the nest has a similar feature connected to your phone. I have two ecobee3 units in my home.

AC doesn’t turn on as often. My main unit was set at 78 degrees. Before the ecobee, my AC would constantly turn on trying to keep the temperature at that level. The problem was that there is poor air circulation at the thermostat. The kitchen and dining area were at about 74 degrees and the thermostat constantly read 78. I checked the temp with a couple of different digital thermometers at both areas and the readings were correct. Thermostat was functioning properly. My temporary solution was to have a fan pointed towards the thermostat from the living room. That worked to keep the AC from turning on all the time. Dining room/living room/kitchen now have temp sensors. Now I just disable that thermometer in software from contributing to the averages. I do the same for my room ecobee. Since I have a window unit also.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 12:33PM by Carm.
Date: July 12, 2018 01:43PM
Another possibility for remote sensors. Say you have one room that gets more Sun light in the evening. and you want that particular room to be comfortable all day. The offset between that room and the main thermostat can be 0 during the morning/day and could be +5F in the afternoon when that room is Sunny. Sure you can make a custom schedule to take that into account. Fine. But then one day it is cloudy, so the Sun does not heat that room. The offset is now 0F in the afternoon. The room would be too cold in the afternoon. With a remote sensor, you adjust the exact temperature in that room, regardless if the Sun heats it or not.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: July 12, 2018 11:07PM
I had a Nest and got rid of it. It was always setting schedules that I didn't need and changing the temps to something I didn't want.
Got an ecobee 3 with three additional sensors at Costco for $150.
Great unit and the tech support if fantastic. I highly recommend it.
Wouldn't recommend Nest even if they were giving them away free.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: parsaplenty
Date: July 13, 2018 06:59AM
Pass and buy an ecobee!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

JJ
Guests: 273
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018