advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cool, old or fun cars used to be cheap. Did you have any?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 14, 2018 10:22AM
This post from Fritz got me thinking about cool, old, fun cars, how cheap they used to be and how much they cost now.

Mine, est current value for condition mine were in:
1955 T-Bird, $800 in 1967, now probably worth $30K
1963 Austin Healey 3000 Mk II, $1300 in 1970, now about $30k
1967 VW Beetle, in 1969, $700, now about $6k.
1962 Volvo 544, $600 in1979, now about $12k
1968 Volvo 122 wagon $2000 in 1987, now about $20k

What did y'all have, and what did they cost?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cool, old or fun cars used to be cheap. Did you have any?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 14, 2018 10:37AM
'56 Old's 98 four door with every possible option (foot switch to change radio stations, radio had a motor; rear air bags in suspension, etc.). Beautiful metal flake blue! I paid $150 in '67 and dear old dad made me sell it when school started in the fall. The girls loved the car but liked the option my father gave me after its sale: the family '65 Buick Electra 225 four door hardtop. I got $75 for the Old's.

'50 Caddy two door with an automatic transmission but no power steering. I paid $50 for it in spring of '68 and sold it to a friend for $25 that fall.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 10:38AM by Speedy.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 14, 2018 10:58AM
We had a ‘67 Mustang which, while not babied by two teenaged drivers, was in pretty good shape when my dad decided it was getting old (circa 1977). My friend, who was a car buff, offered $400. My dad took it, but only after being assured that my friend knew what he was getting into.

My friend put it in storage out at his family’s hobby farm. It could’ve been worth a pretty penny today, I suspect. Unfortunately, the sad end to the story is that a couple years into storage, some hooligan discovered it undefended and stripped it to pieces.

sad smiley
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: July 14, 2018 10:58AM
67 Mercury Comet..minty and LOADS of fun..love

i also had a 72 BMW 2002 (purchased used in about 80-81) that was also a total blast..swapped in a new motor, fixed it up..those cars are the meaning of fun to drive..cant say enough about that.

After that I never cared much for cars//still dont and drive what i have into dust
Date: July 14, 2018 11:04AM
Kraniac
67 Mercury Comet..minty and LOADS of fun..love

I had a '66. Good solid car!

Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 14, 2018 11:18AM
we had a '65 Chevy Corvair that leaked oil and was retired in '72 or so.
It was gonna be mine when I turned 16 a few years later.
Alas, we had to make room.
I think my folks paid around $3k. These days ......

[bringatrailer.com]

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 14, 2018 11:20AM
[www.dropbox.com]

1930 Ford Model A Roadster Deluxe

Sold it 2 years ago because my 6'-4" body (76 yr-old) could no longer easily bend enough for ingress/egress. Also the clutch in these cars require a 50# effort to depress and hold at lights. That is more than my leg would take very often. It made the Dream Cruise a real chore. It wasn't fun to drive anymore.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 12:14PM by modelamac.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: July 14, 2018 11:24AM
1952 Jaguar XK120 current values range from a low of $79,000 on up to the stratosphere $300,000+

as Cramer says of stocks "would have, could have, should have" if only we knew then what we know now, but life is like that.
Posted by: steve...
Date: July 14, 2018 11:40AM
I drove a '66 VW Bug for about 30 years.

I was sooo tempted to buy these but logic prevailed:

• '49 Chevy 2 door fastback. Was in pieces but looked like it was in great shape.
• '63 VW panel van. Looked good on the outside but the interior had lots of rust.

Both were inexpensive and went fast.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 14, 2018 12:15PM
Fixed my early link: [www.dropbox.com]

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Posted by: rexs
Date: July 14, 2018 12:37PM
1958 Alfa Giulietta 1300 Normale owned since 1974 (paid $1000)
1967 Alfa Giulia Super 1600 dual webbers Paid $675 in1971
1972 Alfa GTV Paid $3200 in 1978 Totaled/ sideswiped by a yellow Camero on the Oakland Bay bridge

All 3 of these cost about the same as replacing our well pump, and were way more fun.
Posted by: max
Date: July 14, 2018 01:08PM
64" Peugeot 404 I picked up for $400, one of the most popular cars in school, the only one with fully reclining seats. After a couple months the starter went out, to save $20 for a replacement, I would take it out clean the contacts and drop it back in all in under 20 minutes.
Then I found a starter crank for it, it must have been the last car made with a radiator and a bumper opening for one.
Finally, I picked up another 404 for$75, as a spare parts car.

The next car was a 1960 VW Transporter, drove it up and down the East coast several times and couple trips from NYC to Texas. When i moved to Houston the cops would pull me over every night.
I gave it away in the late 90's.
I still have a Triumph '69 Triumph TR-250,
taken apart again...
Posted by: lost in space
Date: July 14, 2018 02:40PM
My 64 VW bus was an early quasi-camper. After I got the bus, I got a sailboat and had to tow the boat with the bus, plus I live at the top of Oakville Grade in Napa Valley. With a good running start at the base of the grade, I could make it half way up in third gear, and top in second. Towing the boat, I'd be in second gear within 100 ft of hitting the grade, and at the top, about 12MPH floored in 1st gear. It's a wonder I never blew the engine.

TR250 would be a kick.

Friend's dad had a 30 Model A that he drove to work every day in the early 60s. He'd painted it with a broom, covered the hard surfaces inside with Contact Paper. The mom sewed the seat covers from old bedspreads.

Wow man, Jag 120!

Brother had a '65 Corvair Spyder, the turbo one. That was one bada$$ little car

edit: quasi-camper, not quad-camper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 05:04PM by lost in space.
Posted by: Cary
Date: July 14, 2018 02:54PM
1969 Camaro - bought for $675, put a bunch of work into it, sold it for $2200.
1972 240Z - bought for $1700, sold for $2000.
1973 Porsche 911 - bought for $3200 in boxes, lots of work, sold it for $8000.
1975 BMW 2002 - bought for $3400, sold for $3000.

2 i didn't buy that I wish I had - 1962 Austin Healy 3000, 1955 Ford Thunderbird.

There are others, but the above are the ones thAt I wish I still had.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 14, 2018 04:11PM
My favorite cars were the ones I did get cheap and then made my money back or a slight profit. The best of those was a 78 Bronco. Great car, but it got 8mpg....
Date: July 14, 2018 04:34PM
modelamac
[www.dropbox.com]

1930 Ford Model A Roadster Deluxe

Sold it 2 years ago because my 6'-4" body (76 yr-old) could no longer easily bend enough for ingress/egress. Also the clutch in these cars require a 50# effort to depress and hold at lights. That is more than my leg would take very often. It made the Dream Cruise a real chore. It wasn't fun to drive anymore.

Very nice car! I would have thought that vintage SUV would be fairly easy to ingress/egress.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 14, 2018 04:46PM
My mom had a 1947 Ford Super Deluxe convertible until she sold it about four years before she died. I had several 70's cars bought used.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 14, 2018 05:01PM
Had a '56 Mercedes 190SL that my dad and I were in the process of restoring at the time he was killed in a plane crash. Evil stepmom got rid of it while it was still in pieces. Orig white w/ black interior, we were going w/ metallic blue w/ white interior. Would be about $125K today if it avoided the last fifty years of trees and potholes.

==
Posted by: jh
Date: July 14, 2018 05:48PM
1. First care for 18 year old me was a 1964 Impala coupe. 283 CI three speed. 8 track tape player, mags were added. $1,200. Turned DOWN a 1959 vette convertible for the same price because I thought we could not get insurance for it at my age. Doh!

2. 1969 Chevelle SS396, 4 speed. Bought it with rear air shocks and thrush mufflers that were nice and loud. Can't remember what I paid for it.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: July 14, 2018 06:33PM
Hey Buzz.
I had a 1959 190SL.
Cast backfire/breather cover to carbs did not like to stay on. Had to have a second car to get me around when that was down for whatever reason.
I miss the radio most. It had a SSB that would pull in England in the evenings.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2018 06:34PM by Bernie.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 14, 2018 06:34PM
I had nothing but basic transportation specials when I first started driving. My first car was a '65 Buick Wildcat that would definitely burn up tires. So many things wrong with that thing, a State Trooper pulled me over one day and did an inspection. It was cheaper to scrap it than get the required repairs.

I still own some old iron though.

'75 'Vette

'85 Pontiac Trans Am

'62 Jeep CJ-5

All in the barn waiting to be fully restored except for the Trans Am. It's 99% complete that pretty much needs some interior freshening up.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 14, 2018 07:22PM
Several of the listed cars were not very good from the start, and they were more plentiful years ago, so less expensive then.

Now they’re even worse for wear, but they’re now RARE.
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 14, 2018 07:42PM
My first car was a blue '65 Mustang (289 v8). Bought from a used car dealer. Asking price $695. Talked him down to $650. Drove it for several years, then swapped it for my brother's Honda 450 motorcycle for the summer when he was getting out of the marines, as he had stuff to bring home and needed a car for that. I loved having the bike for the summertime, but unfortunately the car died on my brother (I think he said the engine seized) and I never saw it again.

One of my other favorites was a 1970 Austin America.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 14, 2018 08:03PM
I bought my first car, a '62 Mercury Comet, for $600 at a garage sale in 1988.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 14, 2018 10:29PM
'71 Buick GSX Stage 1 Total of 124 built, and under 20 made with the Stage 1 engine package. Mine has a white vinyl top, and white interior, which were nor supposed to have been possible to order. There is another white interior car that is documented, but not one with a vinyl top as well. Might be a unique combo.

Can't put a price on it.
Posted by: Winston
Date: July 14, 2018 10:37PM
My dad got a "restored" olive green 1954 Army Jeep when I was 17. It had an aftermarket aluminum top, which you could take off by removing about 50 bolts. "Cruise control" was a ratcheting pull knob on the dash, which you turned to release. No, it did not release when you hit the brake.

He had me drive it home (3 speed manual) without giving me any lessons. I'd driven a Renault 4 (in Paris) once that summer for a couple of hundred feet, so understood in principle what to do. Think I only stalled 30 or so times on the way home, but by the end I was reasonably competent at manual shifting.

Parking brake worked on a ring on the center driveshaft, and essentially didn't work.

My next youngest brother tended to bring it home with a few new dents. I think he drove it on the railroad tracks.

A few years later he was a summer camp counselor, and as he was going down a hill the brakes failed. He and another counselor bailed out, and the Jeep ended up through the back wall of a cabin. Luckily no one inside. Wish I'd seen pictures of that.

My dad was very safety conscious, and I have no idea what brought him to getting a Jeep with narrow "army tread" tires and no seatbelts for 3 teenage boys to play with. It was fun.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: July 15, 2018 12:29AM
I really miss my 65 Chevy II Wagon with the 283 V8

mine and the misses

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Date: July 15, 2018 07:26AM
One more: My fiancé and I bought a '64 Impala convertible. Yellow with black interior. It had a two speed Powerglide behind a 409 c.i. engine. I could never get it to run right and it sucked gas. I traded it for a '66 Comet with a straight six. The guy who got the Impala later told me he figured out the problem easily enough by opening the hood at night and saw sparking all over due to bad spark plug wires. After he replaced those, he said he blew out both mufflers the first time he peeled out.

Posted by: Winston
Date: July 15, 2018 07:55AM
One other. Not exactly mine, but I'm the one who oversees it's maintenance for the extended family. Lives in a garage in Michigan for 9-10 months with the battery turned off, then gets a couple of month's use each summer.

1965 Olds 98 Luxury Sedan (bought new by my dad, I think in fall 1964)
Ours looks like this, but with a white body and black vinyl roof cover:

Interior of ours is a medium-dark blue, so steering wheel and dash cover are blue, but otherwise look like this:

We don't have the auto-dimming gadget that you see on top of the dash, and there is a second switch under the dash cover to the right of the steering wheel in this picture which I can't identify. Might be for the auto-dimming gadget. Ours has one switch there which was for a trunk mounted power antenna.

The car has two "map pockets on the back of the front seat, and a center console in back with a lighted mirror behind a cover which pivots out, with spaces on either side for small Kleenex packages and those single wet-wipes.

Car is an inch wider than a Suburban, and a couple of inches longer. (Cadillacs of those days were even bigger.)

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 282
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018