The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do you know how to ride a motorcycle?
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 23, 2018 05:09PM
Poll
Do you know how to ride a motorcycle?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
81 votes were received.
Yes 60

74%
No 21

26%

And if your answer is yes, do you have a current MC endorsement on your driver’s license?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do you know how to ride a motorcycle?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 23, 2018 05:10PM
I voted yes because it looks easy winking smiley

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 23, 2018 05:23PM
Yes but...
Haven't ridden one since the late 80's.
Mrs. cbelt3 tells me "NO. No way, no how, nope"
My steel supported right arm isn't strong enough or flexible enough to control anything stronger than a bicycle pedaled by a fat old man (me).
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 23, 2018 05:32PM
Yes, and yes to having a current CY endorsement. Heck, I have so many project bikes around, I can't even list all that I own. I keep telling myself to restore the '66 Honda Dream 305. I have three of them, and could probably build two bikes from all the parts, IF I had more gumption. rolleyes smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: July 23, 2018 05:44PM
Dirt bikes only
Posted by: timg
Date: July 23, 2018 05:45PM
Yes and Yes for me.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: July 23, 2018 05:46PM
No and never had. Rode a factory handbuilt Hodaka factory race bike + 250 yamaha TT
175 yamaha IT and a Suzuki 400 P E and last 500 Yamaha TT
Posted by: Winston
Date: July 23, 2018 05:47PM
Yes, if having access to a 50cc Honda minibike as a kid counts. It worked just like a "big" motorcycle. 3 speed transmission. I've also ridden mopeds many times, but I don't think they count.

Waiting for the "no, but I do have a little Vespa I play around with" comment . . .

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 23, 2018 06:04PM
I had one when I was out of high school in the 70's. Then I started working part time in a hospital and took care of a guy in a permanent vegetative state from a motorcycle wreck where he was run off the road by a car coming around corner on the wrong side of he road. That sort of ruined it for me. I kept the bike for a couple more years but didn't ride it much.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: July 23, 2018 06:05PM
Yes. Have had a MC endorsement on my license since 1982. Have been riding since except for 1999-2004 when I was cycle-less.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: billb
Date: July 23, 2018 06:11PM
I've owned a few Kawasaki .

Nothing smells or sounds like a Kawasaki Triple, which is probably a good thing.
But the acceleration was addictively amazing.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 23, 2018 06:17PM
Yes and Yes. Got my license in the early 90's. Never owned a bike. Figured the best way to see if I liked it was to enroll in a motorcycle safety class and learn to ride on their bikes. Cost me $25 plus I had to buy a helmet. Was going to buy a motorcycle, but got married and had child #1. Decided that I should put off buying one until my children were no longer dependent on me (people around here can't drive well).

So, still have the endorsement but haven't used it in over 20 yrs.
Posted by: timg
Date: July 23, 2018 06:19PM
billb
I've owned a few Kawasaki .

Nothing smells or sounds like a Kawasaki Triple, which is probably a good thing.
But the acceleration was addictively amazing.

First Street bike I rode was a Suzuki GT380 with a 3 cylinder two stroke engine.

from the description, the Kawasaki triples were similar.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 23, 2018 06:29PM
When I was recovering from surgery in Buffalo in the 70's, I was on a wake-up ward with 4 or 5 guys...all of whom were recovering from knee surgery when their bikes went down on them. That sealed the deal for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2018 06:29PM by Steve G..
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 23, 2018 06:37PM
Yes and yes. Current owner/operator of a 2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Pat
Date: July 23, 2018 06:43PM
Yes and yes.

Honda Trail 50/70, SL90, CL100, NightHawk 450. All gone.
Yamaha YZ125, TT250, TT600, WR450, YFZ350 (RZ engine plus 2 extra wheels). Still have the WR and Banshee.
Vespa Allstate, Primavera, P125X, several P200Es, Rally 200. Still have some Ps and the Rally.
Servetta Lambretta Jet200. Still have.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 23, 2018 06:54PM
Yes and I maintain my CYcle endorsement even though I haven't had a bike for many years since it doesn't cost extra (or at least not much extra).

Posted by: TheCaber
Date: July 23, 2018 07:06PM
Yes and Yes. Haven't ridden since 1990 when I sold my 1982 Honda V45 Sabre to my brother. My wife has forbidden me to ride since (or at least until all the children are growed up and have left the nest). I kept the M endorsement on the off chance that I was born to be wild. And will be again someday.

=TC
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 23, 2018 07:07PM

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 23, 2018 07:17PM
Yes and yes. I learned on my brother's Honda CB450 and shortly thereafter bought myself a Honda CB500 (4 cylinder). I have to admit it's a little troubling that the last time I rode was in the '80s and I can still just have the MC endorsement on subsequent drivers licenses without having to be re-tested. That said, I'm glad, because one day again, I might just buy another. Would love to find a nicely taken care of Yamaha XS 650.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: July 23, 2018 07:42PM
Yes and yes for me, too. Got mine in the early 70s when I bought a 350 Kawasaki triple. What a little rocket, I still remember flying down the Dan Ryan expressway in Chicago with that thing. Just recently sold a '79 Honda K750, another fine machine. I'm looking at a '73 BMW but probably will pass. Maybe I'll pick up a little Vespa. Ha.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: July 23, 2018 07:47PM
Yes, since I was of age. I have a 1994 Goldwing but my health keeps me off it most of the time. As few as 2 years ago I rode it 7 days a week to both my jobs. A few years ago me and my wife did an iron butt ride. A certified ride of 1000+ Miles in 24 or less hours. We left Hamburg, NY at 3 pm Sunday and arrived at Eureka Springs, Arkansas at noon Monday. Certified 1053 miles and 21 hours.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 23, 2018 07:51PM
Yes, I have an "M" endorsement.

I can HIGHLY recommend the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. I took an MSF course back in 2012. Over a weekend combining classroom and roadwork on MSF 250cc Hondas, students were taught all the basics as well as how to be a safe rider. Students who pass the MSF written and road tests receive a certificate that, when turned in to the DMV, satisfies all DMV requirements qualifying graduates for their M endorsement. MUCH easier that "doing it all yourself"

A year later I took a four hour MSF "refresher" class (all roadwork) and, can recommend that as well.
Posted by: Pat
Date: July 23, 2018 07:55PM
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 23, 2018 07:58PM
Anyone can "ride" a motorcycle, but I assume you mean drive a motorcycle. (Yeah, I'm being a smartass - deal with it)

so yes and no (same reason the state won't let me drive a stick shift)

I drove a bike exactly one time. I was a teenager, my friend had a small Kawasaki with a sticking throttle. So we decided if the throttle on the right handlebar would stick, then this idiot with one left hand wouldn't have any trouble driving it. I got on, the owner gunned it and ran alongside a few steps to stick the throttle. Away I went.

I was on my second trip around the neighborhood when that lone teenage braincell dedicated to reasoning finally cut through the static and I realized I was going about 40mph and only had a front brake (because the rear was on the right side).

A couple hours later I finally ran out of gas and coasted to a stop amidst the laughter and applause of the neighbors who had come out to watch the idiot on the bike circling the block.

Thus ended my easy rider days.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2018 07:59PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: July 23, 2018 08:11PM
Yes and still have my 3 bikes from the day, 69 Yamaha 100, 74 Kawasaki H2 750 Triple and 76 Kawasaki 900.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: July 23, 2018 08:32PM
Ombligo
Anyone can "ride" a motorcycle, but I assume you mean drive a motorcycle. (Yeah, I'm being a smartass - deal with it)

so yes and no (same reason the state won't let me drive a stick shift)

I drove a bike exactly one time. I was a teenager, my friend had a small Kawasaki with a sticking throttle. So we decided if the throttle on the right handlebar would stick, then this idiot with one left hand wouldn't have any trouble driving it. I got on, the owner gunned it and ran alongside a few steps to stick the throttle. Away I went.

I was on my second trip around the neighborhood when that lone teenage braincell dedicated to reasoning finally cut through the static and I realized I was going about 40mph and only had a front brake (because the rear was on the right side).

A couple hours later I finally ran out of gas and coasted to a stop amidst the laughter and applause of the neighbors who had come out to watch the idiot on the bike circling the block.

Thus ended my easy rider days.

The fact that you think “drive a motorcycle” is the correct terminology reinforces the wisdom of terminating your brief riding career. smiley-shocked003

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 23, 2018 08:33PM
Owned two smallish bikes in my teens/20s, but would not ride one on a public highway ever again.

They're just too small for the incompetent car/truck drivers to notice*; and there are far too many incompetent drivers on the public highways. old fogey smiley

*And the biker always looses in those confrontations.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: July 23, 2018 08:40PM
Yes x 2.

=wr=
Posted by: davester
Date: July 23, 2018 08:55PM
Yes and yes. I owned a Honda 350 for non-freeway commuting purposes for a long time but got rid of it because I wanted to stay in shape and it was too tempting to jump on the motorcycle instead of the bicycle. I've ridden on and off since (last time was a year ago when I took out a friend's Kawasaki Ninja for a ride through the hills) but I pretty much stick to bicycles these days.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2018 08:55PM by davester.
Posted by: Wags
Date: July 23, 2018 09:10PM
I've got an 05 Sportster 1200 Low. Pretty much always owned a mc since 71 when I bought my first, a 450 Honda. Rode that from Canada to Mexico one time.
Posted by: LyleH
Date: July 23, 2018 09:15PM
Yes and Yes. Drove (on the street only) a 175cc dirt bike, and also drove to work with 2 Honda street bikes, a 350cc and a CB 550cc. Was lucky and only had one close call. Haven't driven one for 20 years and will probably never drive one again - don't want to push my luck. LyleH
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 23, 2018 10:42PM
Yes and yes. Yellow 94 V-Max, but I haven't ridden it in a few years because the water pump and front forks need to be rebuilt.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 23, 2018 10:59PM
Honestly, I'm just too klutzy to not have a cage around me.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: July 24, 2018 01:58AM
Yes, and yes. Currently have a '05 BMW R1200RT, but I spend more time on my Cannondale lately.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: July 24, 2018 01:59AM
Yes and no. Rode a bit when I was younger off road, and never got the license endorsement. Lost interest in riding, and never regained it.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 24, 2018 03:48AM
Dirt only. Since a kid the mid 70s. Unless you count my mom riding a trail 90 when she was pregnant with me.

Family owns few hundred acres of desert in CA near Victorville, we would ride there a lot. Think the biggest was a 400TT, but for years had a PE175. Did a few enduros, but nothing much more. Stopped about 10 years ago when the uncles started dying off. No one really was interested anymore...

Street riding was forbidden. Lost 1 first and 1 second cousin to street riding, both their fault, but didnt matter. After college roommate was a helicopter flight nurse, he had plenty of gruesome stories.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 24, 2018 04:20AM
Yes and yes.

Still ride regularly.

There will come a time that I have to stop, so I ride even more now than in years past.

I love riding a bike.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: July 24, 2018 05:10AM
I voted yes because I know how to ride one.
I don't know how to drive one, though.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: Schpark
Date: July 24, 2018 07:53AM
Yes and yes. Had a motorcycle before I had a cage.
Currently riding a 92 Goldwing. Had a beautiful commute this morning along
the Mississippi. Before getting married I told the wife to be that the bike is not
going. She was okay with it so I got a keeper.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 24, 2018 07:56AM
Nope, not a chance. Life is too short.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: qdog2
Date: July 24, 2018 08:43AM
I have been riding since 1981 and never stopped. Owned a motorcycle for 7 years before I bought a car. Haven't owned a car for the last 3 years. I might get around to buying a car next year. My Honda mechanic retired this year so I might switch from a Honda ST1300 to a BMW R1200RT. If I do I won't be buying a car for a few more years.

Portsmouth, Va
Posted by: Dazed & Confused
Date: July 24, 2018 10:58AM
Yes & yes.

My most memorable moments I have ever had were on road trips across this country. Or the many times I have ridden in the Santa Monica mountains in So. Cal. along with the many breakfasts consumed at the Rock Store. Too many motorcycles to list but my favorite was a well tuned Honda CX500 Turbo. The most scary a Kawasaki 750 triple. To this day I still think the Honda as the best looking motorcycle ever made.

I feel both lucky and blessed I was able to do and see this country from the seat of motorcycle.

D & C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2018 11:29AM by Dazed & Confused.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 24, 2018 04:15PM
Nope, no interest. Luckily there are a lot of other things to do in this world.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 202
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020