advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
looking for a phone
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 24, 2018 06:41AM
I had originally intended to give my old 5S to my soon to be entering middle school daughter. However, after putting in a new sim card last night, I discovered that after using it for about an hour, her battery was down to 70%...from 100%. Thats 30% in an hour. So then the Google tells me that this is a pretty common occurrence with Apple's iOS updates. @#$%& you very much Apple.

So I guess I'm trying to figure out what would be a decent phone for her. What OLDER phone would be least susceptible to Apple's battery killing updates? I was thinking an SE so it retains that smallish form factor. But is that even too old? Plus no one makes a battery case for the "5" from factor anymore. At least not that I can find. I have a battery case on my 7 and the wife's 6S. But I don't know that I want to spend that much on the little one.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 24, 2018 07:14AM
Bummer. Maybe you can find a 5 or 5s that has had its battery replaced by Apple. My 5 had its battery replaced under the extended repair program and it easily lasts all day. The cases out there that fit the SE may fit the 5's.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: looking for a phone
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 24, 2018 07:15AM
SE is a great phone but rumor mills say Apple will introduce iPhone SE 2 later this year.

Why not let her use the old 5S for a few days and see how it goes? maybe that was only a temporary effect after software update. maybe battery does not drop so much after all.

My son is using a 5 (2012!!!) and battery lasts a full day.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: July 24, 2018 07:21AM
I see a lot of the younger set using external batteries - see if a "lipstick" battery and cord would be acceptable to her.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 24, 2018 07:27AM
Bazooka,

Don't be so quick to blame an OS update for the battery issue. The 5S is an old phone. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the battery is due for replacement. The same thing happened to my wife's 5 after several years, even with an older OS on it. If you don't want to get a new battery for the 5s, a battery case will resolve the issue pretty easily. Did that with my 4S when the battery on it started losing its holding power. Did the job nicely.

Robert
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 24, 2018 07:31AM
Check what a new battery costs.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 24, 2018 08:15AM
I just ordered ifixit's $29 battery kit. So we'll see how that goes. I've read that while that extends the battery life (b/c its a new battery) its still far short of what it used to be. Sometimes not even lasting a work day.

Anyway, does anyone know of a good battery case that fits a 5S. All the ones I've found are no name chinese brands.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 24, 2018 08:30AM
Apple will put a battery in the 5s for $80.

While a battery case could be a good idea, unless they're recently manufactured, and a decent battery/case to start with, they may have a short duty cycle as well. There are a lot of battery cases for the 5s/SE line, though they may not be up to the standard of a fresh, non-counterfeit Mophie Juice Pack.

Even a good external battery for a weak 'Phone battery isn't a good idea. The external must first charge the internal battery. It can't supply juice directly to the 'Phone. So you'd constantly be charging the bad battery, if that's the problem.

OS updates frequently cause some level of alarm for some people. Often it settles down after a day or two, but not for all people.

A new SE should have very good battery life. Mine does. You could get one now, and upgrade to the SE 2 if and when you feel like it.

For my money, I'd have Apple put a new battery in it and be done. That will last a good while and let you decide if a new 'Phone like the SE or better is what your child needs.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 24, 2018 08:41AM
Also, s-t's idea is a good place to start.

Run with your 5s and see what's what for a few days.

Download coconut battery for Mac, then connect the 5s and see what the battery capacity measures.

Apple considers the battery to be 'old' at 80% or less of original capacity and recommends replacing. My 5s' battery started draining more quickly at 82%.

The 5s and SE are the same size. My 5s Incipio case fit my SE perfectly.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: July 24, 2018 09:04AM
The battery in my iPhone SE typically lasts 2 days per charge, with light use.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: July 24, 2018 09:11AM
Just picked up a new SE 32GB for $97 out the door, including a month of service, taxes. Will also work on ATT MVNO's.

[www.prepaidphonenews.com]
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: July 24, 2018 09:14AM
bazookaman
Plus no one makes a battery case for the "5" from factor anymore. At least not that I can find.

Yes, not so common anymore, but they do still exist. After the case for my 5s broke a couple months ago, I bought this one...i-Blason

So far, I'm quite happy with it. It does add some bulk, though.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 24, 2018 11:06AM
Search for a case (SE/5S/5) on amazon, ebay, and OWC

Just looked - OWC has SE cases from $8.75
Amazon has them starting at $4.75
eBay literally starts at 1¢ with free shipping.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 24, 2018 11:18AM
The most recent iOS update was actually supposed to be the best in the last four years for NOT degrading battery life, but this 'feature' only worked on new enough hardware. I thought the 5S was the oldest supported hardware for the improvement. A new battery and a decent battery case should give two days of light use (assuming there is a good cell signal most of the time).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 24, 2018 11:29AM
nwyaker
Just picked up a new SE 32GB for $97 out the door, including a month of service, taxes. Will also work on ATT MVNO's.

[www.prepaidphonenews.com]

This is the right move. a 5SE is a 6S on the inside, it sill moves along at a good clip. My SE sees little use, mostly phone calls and texting, and it will last for 2+ days if I forget to charge.

I agree with the others, its 99% most likely not the iOS, its the 5S age and battery life.

The battery might help, but I would cancel the order and go with a SE instead.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 24, 2018 12:35PM
I'm fighting this, as well, except I had replaced my 5s battery about 8 weeks ago. It was fine then and for the next month or so.

The most recent update (11.4) has been associated with a huge decline in my battery usage. Today, it was at 100% when I tee'd off at 7am. By 10:30 the iPhone turned off. I recharged it to 100% and took it off the charger about 1/2 hour ago--it's at 91% right now (and a couple of minutes later, as I'm about to send this, it's at 88%). I updated to 11.4.1, hoping it would improve but it did not.

There are reports that going back to 11.3.1 will fix it. I'm going to try to do that and hope for the best. If that doesn't do it, pretty much the only hope I have will be 11.4.2!

My dear wife isn't too sympathetic. She never updates her ios devices until an update has been around for a while and then she searches for problems before she updates. Me, I do what Apple tells me what to do--maybe no more!
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: July 24, 2018 03:06PM
Before you give up on the battery, calibrate it. Charge it fully, use it, drain it all the way down, preferably leave it overnight to drain a little more, charge it fully, reset it before using it. Then repeat

My iPod Touch sometimes tells me the battery is draining super fast, but it just needs recalibration.
Posted by: Winston
Date: July 24, 2018 03:35PM
For anyone having battery issues:

I had not realized that turning off background activity did not stop all activity by apps in the background.
You also need to turn off location services for apps.

Note that some things you definitely want to work in the background, and some things you definitely want to have access to location services. Think of using Google Maps while playing Spotify.

Turn off background activity:
Settings>General>Background App Refresh

Turn off location services:
Settings>Privacy>Location Services

When I adjusted these it greatly improved battery life on my iPhone SE.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: July 24, 2018 03:46PM
bazookaman
I just ordered ifixit's $29 battery kit. So we'll see how that goes. I've read that while that extends the battery life (b/c its a new battery) its still far short of what it used to be. Sometimes not even lasting a work day.

I have replaced the battery on both an iPhone 5 and on an iPhone 5s (and replaced the screen on the 5).

Two things to watch out for replacing the battery on an iPhone 5s

1. Be really careful with the screen cable on the iPhone 5s.
The cable to the screen on a 5s does not really have enough play in it - if you let the screen move past 90 degrees (right angle to the phone case) you will probably damage where the screen cable attaches to the screen. The iPhone 5s I worked on now has two vertical lines on the screen which I am sure were caused when the screen moved past 90 degrees. I'd find something solid and heavy to lean it against (like a full 1 gallon paint can) and tape it in place when you open the phone.

2. Be really careful scraping under the old battery to release it.
There is a flat cable under the top about 1/5th of the battery. When I used something to scrape under the battery to release the glue holding it in place, I did not realize the cable was there, and damaged it. So I then had to replace the cable. (I then damaged the screen on the second repair.)

I was using iFixit's instructions, and was being very careful, but they didn't mention the cable under the battery. (I think I added something about this to the notes on the iFixit iPhone 5s battery replacement page.)

Good luck.

- Winston

ps: To be clear, when you open an iPhone 5s you pull the screen up, like on old clamshell phones, and need it to stay up while you either disconnect the cables to it, or work on the battery while the screen is still attached. Probably better to remove the screen, but while doing so it's really easy to yank the cable as it's very short. The screen wants to fall over backwards, so you need to find some way to brace it safely. If I did this regularly, I'd probably build some kind of frame I could slip the opened up phone into which would hold the screen up securely.

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2018 03:50PM by Winston.
Date: July 24, 2018 03:52PM
And a comment on the iPhone 5s vs. the SE: I might still be using the 5s if I didn't need LTE band 12 for T-Mobile. Love my SE, but the 5s was great too.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018