advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Electrician or HVAC repair person.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: July 26, 2018 08:04AM
We came home from a 4 day vacation and the AC wasn't working (it had been set at 78 degrees while we were away).

Noticed that the 40 amp circuit breaker was tripped,
Flipped it back on and it tripped again.
Shut off system over night.
This morning reset the breaker and it held.
Started the AC and it tripped again.

I think I should call the HVAC repair (we have the repair plan through the utility company).
The Ac unit is really old, we keep hoping to squeeze 1 more year out of it.

Thanks,

Steve
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Electrician or HVAC repair person.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: July 26, 2018 08:44AM
Motor locked up and will not turn. Fan or compressor, doesn't matter. Have you called yet?

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 26, 2018 09:36AM
Call HVAC, they will tell you if it is electrical a great deal faster than an electrician will diagnose an AC equipment issue.

But start preparing for a new unit, especially if yours is old.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: July 26, 2018 10:20AM
Ombligo
Call HVAC, they will tell you if it is electrical a great deal faster than an electrician will diagnose an AC equipment issue.

But start preparing for a new unit, especially if yours is old.

System is off.
I have an appointment with HVAC for Monday afternoon.
First Appointment available.
(repair plan through utility co.)
Luckily a cold front has moved in.

Thanks,

Steve
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 26, 2018 11:54AM
Do you have a way to check the capacitors? you need a DMM with capacity function and you need to know what you are doing.
Date: July 26, 2018 12:08PM
space-time
Do you have a way to check the capacitors? you need a DMM with capacity function and you need to know what you are doing.

This is above my my pay grade.
Although I think my meter might du capacity.
I know it does resistance,
Posted by: Schpark
Date: July 26, 2018 02:01PM
Capacitance. They can pack a serious punch so please wait for HVac guy

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 26, 2018 06:38PM
That's what's great about having a neighbor that runs an HVAC business I just give him a call and he's here within hours.

Three weeks ago I woke up on a Sat. morning and noticed the inside blower fan was running and running non stop and blowing ambient air. Went outside and the outside unit wasn't doing anything, no buzz, no hum, nothing. I called him and he said he was on a call and had 2 more but would stop by on his way home for lunch and check it out. He took off the panel and said I'll about bet it's your contacts.

Now get this he said, "I'll bet there's an Earwig in there", and sure enough a toasted Earwig was between one set of contacts and stopped them from making contact. He said he sees about 1 a week same problem. He put a new set of contacts in it and a few ounces of freon and charged $60. I even asked him if he was sure that was enough and he said yes. He's our closest neighbor even though he's several hundred yards away. We watch his place for strangers when he's out and he does the same for us. He's been broken into twice, they took copper and freon. If we see a vehicle we're not used to seeing at his place we give him a call.

I sprayed Home Defense bug spray all around the outside unit.

Grateful11
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 27, 2018 09:16AM
Checking contacts is always a good start.

Beyond that, you just start replacing parts. Begin with the start capacitor, that's cheaper than a service call and easy to do, just make sure to shut off power first!

Next you could do the motor, not sure what those run but if it's an old unit that might keep it going for a while longer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 239
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020