advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Alan Alda has Parkinson’s......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 31, 2018 11:26AM
....he revealed on 'CBS This Morning'....diagnosed 3 years ago....

Alan Alda Has Parkinson’s Disease: Tells ‘CBS This Morning’ The Diagnosis Came Three Years Ago

....Actor Alan Alda revealed today that he has Parkinson’s disease, the first time he’s publicly disclosed the diagnosis he received three and a half years ago.

The MASH actor Alda made the announcement during an interview on CBS This Morning, explaining that his recent spate of TV appearances promoting his new podcast led to his decision to go public. (Watch clips from the interview below).

“I had been on television a lot in the last couple of weeks talking about the new podcast,” Alda said today, “and I could see my thumb twitch in some shots and I thought, it’s probably only a matter of time before somebody does a story about this from a sad point of view, but that’s not where I am.”

Though he was careful not to diminish the serious, even incapacitating symptoms that Parkinson’s can bring, Alda said he wanted to warn people not to be “immobilized” by fear from the “very beginning.” He said he stays active, taking boxing lessons and even marching to Souza music.

Alda said he’s lived “a full life” since his diagnosis. “”I’ve acted, I’ve given talks, I help at the Alda Center for Communicating Science at Stony Brook.”

The 13-year-host of PBS’ Scientific American Frontiers said he requested to be tested for the disease even before his doctor noticed symptoms. He’d read that one of the early symptoms of Parkinson’s was acting out your dreams. “I was having a dream that someone was attacking me and I threw a sack of potatoes at them, but really I threw a pillow at my wife.”

Alda, whose long roster of credits also includes Crimes and Misdemeanors and The Aviator, said he approaches his condition as if it were a puzzle, figuring out each day “what do I have to adapt to, to carry on a normal life.”

Watch the interview in the three tweets below. In the first tweet, Alda announces his diagnoses at about the 1:26 mark.

wishing him and his family well............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2018 11:37AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Alan Alda has Parkinson’s......
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 31, 2018 12:27PM
A pity. I've enjoyed much of his work. There are a lot of treatment modalities available (ask Michael Fox), but his age may work against him for some of them.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: July 31, 2018 12:52PM
My best wishes to Alan Alda, always like that guy…

=wr=
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 31, 2018 01:12PM

hope he's got a good doctor
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 31, 2018 01:14PM
I never liked MASH, but I have really enjoyed all of the science programs that I’ve managed to see. Sounds like he has a positive approach to the situation.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: July 31, 2018 01:18PM
"The 13-year-host of PBS’ Scientific American Frontiers said he requested to be tested for the disease even before his doctor noticed symptoms. He’d read that one of the early symptoms of Parkinson’s was acting out your dreams. 'I was having a dream that someone was attacking me and I threw a sack of potatoes at them, but really I threw a pillow at my wife.'"

Wow, he was thinking more proactively than the vast majority of people when considering that event. Very few people are both that informed and also motivated to act on that type of suspicion.

Best of luck to Alan!
Posted by: Schpark
Date: July 31, 2018 02:14PM
M.A.S.H. is the best TV show ever.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 31, 2018 03:12PM
At age 82, there are probably worse things that he could be dealing with… but still, though it's almost inevitable with how long people are living now, one hates to see anyone go EOL with something crappy like this.
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 31, 2018 03:21PM
ka jowct
I never liked MASH, but I have really enjoyed all of the science programs that I’ve managed to see. Sounds like he has a positive approach to the situation.

I liked the TV show but cried all the way thru the movie thinking of my son who could get drafted.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 31, 2018 03:27PM
Schpark
M.A.S.H. The Beverly Hillbillies is the best TV show ever.

There, I fixed that for you.....
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 31, 2018 03:41PM
ka jowct
I never liked MASH, but I have really enjoyed all of the science programs that I’ve managed to see.

Back in the day, he did a segment with the solar vehicle team at the university I attended -- I believe it was for this episode: [www.chedd-angier.com]

Transcript for the episode above: [www.chedd-angier.com]

(P.S. Mine was the Pomona team.)

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2018 03:48PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 31, 2018 06:19PM
Schpark

agree smiley

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 31, 2018 08:52PM
Sorry to hear about is diagnosis.

I wonder at what age he began getting more serious symptoms.

He seems to have been affected much later in life than a lot of people, or at least other celebrities.

As far as his acting, I never really cared for him. His voice was/is very annoying. Nasal and whiney.

And I never really liked M.A.S.H. all that much either. What I did like was soured by the series finale.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: tronnei
Date: July 31, 2018 09:21PM
Schpark

One of the best, but overstayed its welcome by about four seasons.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 01, 2018 12:29PM
tronnei
Schpark

One of the best, but overstayed its welcome by about four seasons.

Yup, a typical outcome of a number of initially very good 70s and 80s sitcoms.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 165
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018