advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RAID backup education.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: August 02, 2018 08:57PM
Okay, I am talking backup and redundant for iTunes and pictures.
Say 4 gig in parallel in an enclosure.
On the cheap and plug and play.

Ideals?

Staunton, Virginia
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RAID backup education.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 02, 2018 10:26PM
Whats "on the cheap"?

Whats your current backup setup? Or even your whole setup? Might be easier to make suggestions.

2 single 4 TB drives would be easier?

No power brick, no noise, 1/4 the size of any dual case 3.5" RAID.

[www.amazon.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: August 02, 2018 11:07PM
Been there done that.
Want 2 mirrored drives at least.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: August 02, 2018 11:25PM
Not sure how 2 mirrored drives, in a case 3" X 7" X 6" with a big fan and power brick is "better" than two 3" x 4" x 1" portable drives...

2 bay case, with JBOD, RAID 0 & 1, $54: [www.amazon.com]

4 TB HGSTs, $85 (7200 RPM, maybe 5400s would be cheaper)
[www.amazon.com]

FWIW, I have that case above, going strong for 2 years with lots of daily read/write use. Its relatively small, fan isnt too bad.

If I could have, I would have gone with 2.5" drives in a small case, like this:
[eshop.macsales.com]

or this
[www.amazon.com]

But bare 2.5" drives are still kind $$$, double the cost of 3.5".

----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2018 11:26PM by jdc.
Date: August 03, 2018 09:00AM
Yeah.

This is more of my line of thinking. I will downsize later to 2.5 drives when I get that new MacPro Tower. smiley-laughing001

Like this too. Added to wish list. No time to play at the moment.

Anyone else want to chime in on this. I know this is old hat to many of you excessive hoarders of data.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: clay
Date: August 03, 2018 09:06AM
yeah, just get 2 of whatever size drives you want (the 2.5" 4tb drives jdc linked are good). Use one as the primary storage destination. Then setup Carbon Copy Cloner to sync to the backup hourly (or daily, depending on how often things change). The bonus of that is that if the primary dies, you're not stuck with some proprietary hardware/RAID controller. The backup becomes your new primary and you get a new backup drive. There's no "middle-ware" that puts your drive or data in a non-native format.

That's probably what I'd recommend for your situation.
Date: August 03, 2018 10:39AM
I have 4 bays in my tower. Could go that way. That is more of a back up and less of a redundant but identical copy.
Back ups and Time Machine have always left something to be desired.

Like having all 52 cards, but needing to be sorted and filled. My photos are such crap over the years from backups and mergers and migrations.
My last hurrah so to speak.
The definitive collection.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Bixby
Date: August 03, 2018 10:50AM
RAID is not a backup. RAID is for redundancy and uptime. If you have a RAID, you should still be backing it up to a separate system.
Date: August 03, 2018 12:15PM
Not sure the difference the case you linked to vs the one I have, except for it costs more and is bigger.

It kinda sounds like you need to do some "house cleaning" work before starting a good backup?

Again, without any real details on your current setup, kinda hard to make suggestions.

For example. I run a 5K iMac with 1 TB Fusion, only OS, maybe 300 GB. + a 8 TB RAID 0 with all working files, maybe half full. (in the case I linked to)

Both of those drives TM to an external 6 TB drive, and both of those drives online backup via backblaze.

Not a lot of data -- I have no music or movies or photos.

I never feel as if my backup is "missing" anything, or like Im not getting it all. Im confident in my backup.

once a month or so I have a couple of portable 2 TB drives that I hook up and manually copy new client files over, then drop that in a fire proof safe.

----

Date: August 03, 2018 04:27PM
My photos are such crap over the years from backups and mergers and migrations.

I got some digital baggage, many versions of the same thing, same photo different iTune and iPhoto formats.
House Cleaning yeah I need to sort some stuff.

As I sort and absorb this DATA I feel my current system that is not up to the challenge.
I need some room and want pursue this path.
A single WD MyBook was my latest failure. The drive is good but the supply caused the drive to mount and disappear and mount and did not eject properly.

My 2008 tower was more machine than I would ever need then.

This venture may be more than I need now. It does offer some flexibility and schooling on where to go next with my house cleaning.
WD MY Book Duo could be the answer but the Mediasonic looks so cool.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: August 03, 2018 04:46PM
$260 for 4TB seems pricey. RAID 0 = two 2TB drives.

Using the parts above -- $85 + 85 + $50 = $220 and would get a 8 TB RAID 0.

RAID 0 is purely for speed, not redundancy. 1 drive fails, they both fail.

----

Date: August 03, 2018 05:11PM
I am thinking Raid 1 and about 3 to 4 TB each.
260.00 will buy the WD 4TB My Book Duo Desktop RAID External Hard Drive - USB 3.1
292.00 will buy the Buffalo TeraStation 1200D Desktop 4 TB NAS with Hard Drives

65.00 will buy the Mediasonic ProRaid 2 Bay 3.5” SATA Hard Drive Enclosure – USB 3.0 & eSATA Support 12TB & UASP Protocol .........Drives not included.

So without the collective sharing their experiences I have to rely on idjits complaining about fan noise on their reviews.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: August 03, 2018 05:36PM
You keep wanting to spend more... not "on the cheap"? Why spend $300 on a RAiD 0 drive, If you can DIY for $220 for TWICE the storage.dunno smiley

RAID 1 is fine, but both the WD and Buffalo are RAID 0 setups -- TWO drives to get to 4 TB.

Im kinda missing the point of a RAID 1 right now, its just 2 drives with the same data... except if one dies, they both die.

Just get 2 drives and have 1 backup to the other. CCC or TM can do either automatically with just a few button clicks. 8 TB for $150: [www.amazon.com]

If everyone is complaining about the fan on that giant pro case -- then get the case Im using? I already mentioned the fan isnt bad. Its quiet. and the case is 2/3 the size?

----

Date: August 03, 2018 06:18PM
"except if one dies, they both die. "

RAID 1 requires a minimum of two physical disks, as data is written simultaneously to two places. The disks are essentially mirror images of each other, so if one disk fails, the other one can retrieve the data. Disk mirroring is good for very fast read operations, but it's slower when writing to the disks since the data needs to be written in two locations.

That is why the raid.
That is a great deal on the seagate though.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: August 03, 2018 06:30PM
Bernie
"except if one dies, they both die. "
RAID 1 requires a minimum of two physical disks, as data is written simultaneously to two places. The disks are essentially mirror images of each other, so if one disk fails, the other one can retrieve the data. Disk mirroring is good for very fast read operations, but it's slower when writing to the disks since the data needs to be written in two locations.
That is why the raid.
That is a great deal on the seagate though.

They were $125 2 weeks ago.

May bad, got RAID 0 and 1 mixed for a minute. Still cheaper to DYI, unless you think you need 8 TB of storage

----

Date: August 03, 2018 08:54PM
agree smiley

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Bixby
Date: August 04, 2018 09:24AM
If you have a RAID and corrupt data gets written to it or the controller goes bad or..., both drives are f**ked and you've lost your data. This is why you'd still need a backup to a RAID. RAID is for redundancy, not backup. Please don't think that just because you've got two mirrored drives, that one is a backup. I made this mistake many many years ago and learned the hard way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 192
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018