advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
coffee maker discussion
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 07, 2018 02:09PM
My wife has been using the Keurig 2.0 for quite awhile and was generally satisfied until recently. Now she would like to reduce the waste from the pods and perhaps get some better tasting coffee at the same time. So I bought a reusable stainless pod and we have been experimenting. She says the coffee has been coming out lukewarm and not very strong. So she is discouraged with this method.

So now she wants to consider another type of coffee maker. She wants to keep it simple, keep the mess small, and she doesn't want to brew a big pot of coffee since she only drinks two mugs every morning. Suggestions?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: coffee maker discussion
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 07, 2018 02:13PM
....does she like cold brew......??

....have just been using french press to make cold brew and leave in fridge at least overnight.......

.......if you prefer 'pods'.....try nespresso.....the empty pods are recycleable.....I believe they will even send you return bag so that you can send the empty pods to be recycled........the pods can get expensive though since only nespresso sells the 'authentic' pods........though there are a few parties that make 'generic' pods.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 02:24PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 07, 2018 02:16PM
This thing's on sale at many Walmarts for $50:

[www.amazon.com]

You can check for inventory at your local store using the following link and inputting your ZIP code:

[brickseek.com]

UPDATE: Some stores even have it for $25!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 02:22PM by Carnos Jax.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 07, 2018 02:23PM
Nespresso uses aluminum capsules and you can order bags (free) and UPS will take the bags back to them for recycling.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 07, 2018 02:37PM

coffee and filter bio-degrade

can't get much easier on the environment beyond not drinking coffee

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 07, 2018 02:51PM
Billb makes a smart choice, my wife uses something similar when she travels.

Personally I would get a French Press. Just as fast as a standard coffee maker, quick to clean, and good tasting. you can also use it for simple Cold Press (add room temp water, add coffee, leave in the refrigerator overnight). I like the a double wall insulated, keeps the coffee hot longer.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Drew
Date: August 07, 2018 02:59PM
I do what billb does. Additionally, I bought a burr grinder and grind my own beans. We have a hot water pot plugged in in the kitchen, so making a cup/mug of coffee means grind beans for about 8 seconds, add grounds to paper filter, put hot water on top of the grounds, start enjoying coffee 30 seconds later. One minute prep, 10 seconds clean up, occasionally add beans to storage bin on grinder. Simple and cheap, oh and the coffee flavor is outstanding.
Posted by: 3d
Date: August 07, 2018 03:02PM
2 mugs = 4 cup coffee maker models

Any basic model should be sufficient.
[www.amazon.com]

No timer. No programs. No nonsense.
Add water. Coffee filter. Grinds. Press one button. Done.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 07, 2018 03:13PM
.....what about kids......??

.......they can be new dishwashers......AND......coffee makers and for free............

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 07, 2018 03:24PM
Aeropress all day. Best coffee,.to boot. Slightly more involved, but more rewarding.
Posted by: Buck
Date: August 07, 2018 03:27PM
mrbigstuff
Aeropress all day. Best coffee,.to boot. Slightly more involved, but more rewarding.
More mess, more clean up.

A Mr. Coffee should be about $20
Date: August 07, 2018 03:30PM
I have a simple pour-over and an AeroPress. I like the Aeropress because it uses a little tiny disc of paper filter.
I also have a $19.95 type 4-cup coffee maker which makes more sense for more than one cup of coffee and a Keureg which I just got tired of all the waste and the K-cups are a little pricey. I have a pod-thing to make your own "K-cups" but it's a bit messy to clean up every day. K-cups are Convenient. The 4 cup I was drinking the coffee because it was there. It takes 2 minutes to boil a cup of water in the microwave and the coffee maker isn't on the counter taking up valuable space any more.

I'm the only one here that drinks coffee and I'm down to one cup in the morning and sometimes I don't finish that.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Bernie
Date: August 07, 2018 03:57PM
Cuisinart $70.99

The best period. I strayed back to a Braun but it was not the Braun of old. Could not wait for it to crap out. Back to the fastest and longest lasting maker I have ever owned.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 03:59PM by Bernie.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: August 07, 2018 04:04PM
I love my aeropress because it’s no mess, super quick clean up. After you make the coffee, you just press the grounds out into the trash. The plunger effectively cleans the cylinder for you. Just a quick rinse and it’s good to go. It’s nothing compared to cleaning a carafe.

I don’t know that it’s really any more involved than using a Mr. Coffee. It’s certainly faster for making a single cup. And, you decide how weak or strong you want it. You decide how much grounds to put in it, how much hot water, then after you press, you top it off with hot water to your liking.

I have an electric kettle which quickly heats up a mug’s worth of water to 175° but lots of people just put their mug in the microwave for 43 seconds or whatever. As a bonus their mug is warmed up too.
Date: August 07, 2018 04:15PM
Buck
mrbigstuff
More mess, more clean up.

A Mr. Coffee should be about $20

Definitely not more mess than a regular drip coffee maker. more than a Keurig, but that's out of the equation.
Date: August 07, 2018 04:18PM
Ha! 43 seconds is what I also do. And, yes, the heated mug makes a difference.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 07, 2018 04:24PM
We have a Keurig 1.0 K75 Platinum and I've tried many pods and still doesn't make a good of a cup of coffee as my 4 cup Mr. Coffee. Not even with the Ekobrew use your own Keurig coffee adapters, it's not bad but still not quite there.

Probably the best K-Cups I've tried are the San Francisco Bay Fog Chaser, they're more environmentally friendly with no plastic cup on the bottom but they are sealed individually in a clear plastic bags.
[www.sanfranciscobaycoffee.com]

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 04:25PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 07, 2018 04:34PM
French press and a manual burr grinder, although I have one of these ... coz.
I just bought a SS press as I was constantly smashing the glass beakers.
It's double walled and the coffee comes out f'n hot!!!
Also just got a simple $10 batt milk foamer. Works well. Can't wait for 6A winter mornings.
Yea, it's all Chinese made, but it's all pretty good stuff.

Replaces a poc device from the crooks of Capresso.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Date: August 07, 2018 05:17PM
I must be the ultimate cheapskate here as I just buy the cheapest coffee maker I can find. Only requirement is that it uses cone filters. Other then that I use decent coffee and distilled water.

If I used a pod type machine I'd be broke in six months...

D & C
Posted by: Buck
Date: August 07, 2018 05:54PM
Why don't we ever agree about coffee makers?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 07, 2018 05:57PM
Bonavita. Made in Germany. Pour water in, grind coffee, put coffee in filter, press one button. Clean up is only throwing away grounds and rinsing the stainless pot. No heated burner to kill the coffee's flavor. Stainless pot keeps coffee hot but is cool to touch on the outside. Makes small batches too. Works the same way as pour-over but keeps the coffee hot. Nothing to break or stop working.

Have given these two both kids when they moved into their first apartments, and a couple of times as wedding gifts. Can't go back after this. Worth the $$$ if you love good tasting coffee.

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 07, 2018 06:06PM
Grateful11
Probably the best K-Cups I've tried are the San Francisco Bay Fog Chaser, they're more environmentally friendly with no plastic cup on the bottom but they are sealed individually in a clear plastic bags.

Ditto that San Francisco Bay Fog Chaser recommendation. When we stopped using the Keurig and started using a BrewStation for quick morning coffee, we stuck with Fog Chaser via either whole bean or pre-ground. Excellent coffee.

same as it ever was
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 07, 2018 06:11PM
Zoidberg
Grateful11

Ditto that San Francisco Bay Fog Chaser recommendation. When we stopped using the Keurig and started using a BrewStation for quick morning coffee, we stuck with Fog Chaser via either whole bean or pre-ground. Excellent coffee.

Wife loves the Brewstation! I make it in the morning, take a cup with me and she has coffee for her home office.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 07, 2018 07:29PM
As long as San Francisco Bay Company keeps making Fog Chaser, I'll keep using our Keurig. Not as bad as the plastic K-Cups, and those bags they pack ten pods into are biodegradable, too. It's getting harder to find them on sale as often, but I can deal with .35-.40 per cup for the convenience.
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 08, 2018 04:15AM
Dazed & Confused (Mobile)
I must be the ultimate cheapskate here as I just buy the cheapest coffee maker I can find. Only requirement is that it uses cone filters. Other then that I use decent coffee and distilled water.

If I used a pod type machine I'd be broke in six months...

D & C

I'm like you. Pretty much the only thing I buy on Black Fridays are batteries from Home Depot and whatever $10 coffee make Walmart has on sale. I have an extra that sits in the basement right now so I won't buy a new one this year unless the current one goes south.

My wife has just shifted to a Keurig and really likes it. I have a couple of cans of coffee from Costco sales and I'll use them with the cheap machine. Then I'll have to decide whether to keep the cheap one and continue to buy coffee or take it off the counter and shift to pods. I tried the refillable pod that came with the Keurig and I'm very sure that I will find that to be more trouble than it's worth. The Aeropress looks intriguing because it's smaller and won't take up substantial counter space. I also like the idea of making a cup when I want it rather than making a pot in the morning and then reheating a cup later in the day.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 08, 2018 05:15AM
Amazon has French Press and flow-through coffee makers as today's (Wed) deal of the day

[smile.amazon.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: tenders
Date: August 08, 2018 06:50AM
There is something wrong if the Keurig coffee is “lukewarm.” Many Keurigs have a hidden feature allowing you to adjust the output temperature by a few degrees; maybe yours needs to be kicked up a notch. Google it for your model.

As for weak coffee: try Cafe Bustelo, espresso grind, in your DIY cup. Don’t pack it into the DIY cup, in fact, you might not even need to fill the cup completely. This made me stop using any other off-the-shelf Keurig cup, including the pricy Starbucks that had been my favorite.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 08, 2018 08:17AM
Buck

Why should we?
Date: August 08, 2018 08:47AM
Buck

wide range of needs and preferences.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 08, 2018 09:35AM
Another vote for Aeropress.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 08, 2018 11:00AM
Dave,

If your wife wants "to keep it simple, keep the mess small, and she doesn't want to brew a big pot of coffee" then avoid aeropress, french presses and similar systems. They seem simple and offer minimal mess on the surface but, after using them, that is actually not the case. You have to heat water separately, which is an inconvenience and you have to clean the aeropress or french press, which is an inconvenience.

A Keurig with the proper k-cup or k-cup alternative will do the job nicely. You already have a Keurig, so the first thing I'd do is try a different type of k-cup. Cafe Bustelo, mentioned by Tenders, actually offers some of the best k-cups out there. No need to use a DYI k-cup gadget for it. Just by it as k-cups and be done with it. i'm a fan of Stew Leonards Stew's Choice k-cups, too. Onecups from the Rogers Family Coffee Company (parent company of San Francisco Bay Coffee Co), are great and they are environmentally friendly. The cheapest way to get them is to order direct:

[www.rogersfamilyco.com]
[www.gourmet-coffee.com]

That said, a cheap drip machine will probably do the job but maintenance on them isn't always the easiest. The carafe _may_ be dishwasher-safe but the rest of the components not so much.

A pour over setup may work, too. Heat water in an electric kettle, use a dishwasher-safe pourover kit to make coffee by the mug or pot:

[nymag.com]

For me, ease of use and easy cleanup are just as important as the ability to make a good cup of joe. That's why I have a Bonavita BV1800 with glass carafe. Bought it nearly 4 years ago. Best coffee maker I've ever used in my entire life. It's not the same model recommended by Lemon Drop, though. Bonavita had issues with the stainless steel carafe model back in '14. No doubt, those issues have long since been resolved.

Mine works great. Even wrote a 9 page review of it. [www.amazon.com]

Note, as I said in a different thread, some of the things people don't like about the Bonavita are actually pluses. No timer for brewing unattended? Don't want it. No take coffee as it's brewing feature. good. Don't want the feature. Filter holder sits on the carafe instead of in the machine. People have issues with this. I don't at all. It makes cleanup easy. Rinse it off after each brew. Throw it in the dishwasher once every couple of days. No muss, no fuss. You get the idea.

I can brew any amount of coffee with the Bonavita easily. One mug. Two mugs. A whole part. Easy pease. Maintenance is easy. all of the components that need cleaning are dishwasher safe. Carafe, pourover piece that sits on the carafe, other components. you name it. Throw'im in the dishwasher. Done. you can't do that with most other coffee makers.

My model has since been discontinued and replaced. Not sure which of the newer models offers the same level of simplicity, minimal mess and cleanup and great coffee.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 11:06AM by Robert M.
Posted by: jimmy d
Date: August 08, 2018 11:17AM
I too like a pour-over. I've always used Melitta, winner of many taste tests over machines costing many times more. Cheap and little mess. Everything goes into the dishwasher.

[www.amazon.com]
Date: August 08, 2018 11:54AM
Jimmy,

If I were to get a pour-over, I'd look at something like that with an electric kettle. My only complaint would be about time. It takes time to warm the coffee in the kettle and time for the coffee to drip into the pot. It takes much more time to brew a pot of coffee with a pour-over as a result. That's an issue for me in the morning when time is at a premium.

Robert
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 08, 2018 01:51PM
I use a pour-over but were I to buy an automatic, I'd go with Cuisinart. They make a great coffee maker that allows you to make a cup or a pot, depending on what you need that day. You can get the gold filters for both options. Very expensive but has so many features that I would find perfect.
[www.target.com]

Date: August 08, 2018 03:06PM
Stevie,

I think the advertising fooled you. A coffee maker doesn't need special filters or settings for a cup or a pot. All that should be necessary is an easy adjustment of the amount of coffee you put in the filter and the amount of water you put in the reservoir. The fact that the Bonavita I use has minimal "features" is what makes it awesome!

To make my morning coffee, I add enough water for 4 "cups" of coffee to the reservoir, drop two scoops of ground coffee into the filter holder (which is actually a pour-over design), place the carafe onto the hotplate and hit the "on" button. My coffee is ready a few minutes later. In some respects, it's like using an electric kettle and a carafe based pour-over system, only in one machine.

Robert
Posted by: Winston
Date: August 08, 2018 03:31PM
davemchine
My wife has been using the Keurig 2.0 for quite awhile and was generally satisfied until recently. Now she would like to reduce the waste from the pods and perhaps get some better tasting coffee at the same time. So I bought a reusable stainless pod and we have been experimenting. She says the coffee has been coming out lukewarm and not very strong. So she is discouraged with this method.

The pump in a Keurig does not provide much force for the water to the pod. It's nothing like what an expresso machine does. If you load a reusable Keurig pod in a way that blocks water flow you will not get a good result. Your wife may have noticed that the pump motor is working harder and the coffee comes out of the Keurig more slowly with the reusable pod. This could be an indication of clogging from too-fine grounds.

I've found that the reusable pods for Keurigs work OK, if you follow two rules:

1. Use an appropriate grind.
The pods need a medium to medium-coarse grind. Less fine than for a filter machine, but finer than what you'd use in a French press.

If you use a blade grinder the reusable pods won't work. Blade grinders give you a mix of grinds, with some of it being very fine. The fine grounds clog up the reusable pods, blocking water flow in the Keurig. I could not find a way to grind beans in a blade grinder which produced good coffee with a reusable Keurig pod. Maybe you could sift coffee ground in a blade grinder to remove the finest grounds, but that would be a lot of trouble.

I got much better results with reusable pods when we switched to a burr grinder. I got a Capresso brand burr grinder:
[www.capresso.com]
It had decent reviews and was not outrageously priced. (I got the black one, I think for about $80, but might have been $90.)

2. Don't pack the coffee into the reusable pod too tightly.
Compressing the coffee in the reusable pod has a similar effect to too-fine grounds: it blocks water flow through the pod.

I fill the reusable pod, and tap it gently on the counter to settle the grounds, but do not pack the coffee down. This also means not overfilling the pod and then pressing the top on.

To clean our reusable pods, I let them cool and dry out a bit, then turn them over and rap them on the counter. When I open the pod to dump the grounds they usually come out "whole", and the pod only needs a quick rinse.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 03:34PM by Winston.
Date: August 08, 2018 04:08PM
espresso is a style of coffee

expresso is a brand of bicycle

[soundcloud.com]
Date: August 08, 2018 04:11PM
billb

And expresso love is a Dire Straits song
Posted by: Winston
Date: August 08, 2018 06:49PM
billb

I'm in a location with a ridiculously poor internet connection, leaving me with a lot of frustration on anything internet related, including posting here. One result is less patience with getting terms right.

However . . .

[www.merriam-webster.com]
"So does this mean we've been wrong about expresso all this time? Yes and no. Espresso remains the original borrowed word for the beverage, but expresso shows enough use in English to be entered in the dictionary and is not disqualified by the lack of an x in its Italian etymon. Just think of expresso as a quirky, jittery variant."

Which about describes the internet connection I'm dealing with.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: August 09, 2018 04:38PM
Robert M
Stevie,

I think the advertising fooled you. A coffee maker doesn't need special filters or settings for a cup or a pot. All that should be necessary is an easy adjustment of the amount of coffee you put in the filter and the amount of water you put in the reservoir. The fact that the Bonavita I use has minimal "features" is what makes it awesome!

To make my morning coffee, I add enough water for 4 "cups" of coffee to the reservoir, drop two scoops of ground coffee into the filter holder (which is actually a pour-over design), place the carafe onto the hotplate and hit the "on" button. My coffee is ready a few minutes later. In some respects, it's like using an electric kettle and a carafe based pour-over system, only in one machine.

Robert
I just spent two weeks using this machine at my sister's house. It has a reservoir for water and I could get up in the morning, throw coffee grounds into the reusable 10-oz filter, and shove a cup in place, voila a cup of coffee for a lazy person. I fell in love.
EDIT: I suppose if I was really lazy I could have put the coffee in the filter and shoved the cup in place the night before, which would mean merely pushing the button in the morning.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 04:42PM by $tevie.
Date: August 09, 2018 04:52PM
$tevie,

Sounds like a dandy machine with lots of features people don't need at all for making good coffee. smiling smiley

Robert
Date: August 09, 2018 05:05PM
Hey, people don't need a machine at all. I don't use one. But if I did, I'd want that one. And that's that.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 09, 2018 05:16PM
davemchine
My wife has been using the Keurig 2.0 for quite awhile and was generally satisfied until recently. Now she would like to reduce the waste from the pods and perhaps get some better tasting coffee at the same time. So I bought a reusable stainless pod and we have been experimenting. She says the coffee has been coming out lukewarm and not very strong.

The reason for this is probably because the stainless pod is removing too much heat from the water during the brewing process. I use a stainless French press at home; I get the best results when I preheat the vessel by filling it with hot water and letting it sit for a few minutes. This serves to greatly reduce the amount of heat lost by the water during the actual brewing process.

Have your wife try preheating the stainless pod by letting it sit in hot water for a few minutes before brewing and see if that helps.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 05:16PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: August 09, 2018 05:22PM
Fritz
French press and a manual burr grinder, although I have one of these ... coz.
I just bought a SS press as I was constantly smashing the glass beakers.
It's double walled and the coffee comes out f'n hot!!!

This is my exact set-up, although I confess: since getting the Virtuoso, I have not used the manual grinder even once.

I need to check out that milk foamer -- I'm tired of paying Starbucks for my daily latte.

It is what it is.
Date: August 09, 2018 05:35PM
Robert M
Mine works great. Even wrote a 9 page review of it.

Not the slightest bit surprised by that. smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Date: August 09, 2018 05:52PM
N-OS X-tasy!

This is my exact set-up, although I confess: since getting the Virtuoso, I have not used the manual grinder even once.

I need to check out that milk foamer -- I'm tired of paying Starbucks for my daily latte.

starbucks!!??! WTF?
so far, I'm not sold on the thing. Prolly just a knack and patience, 2 things I lack. But safer than the peeling Crapresso frother I bought for $40 and ran a year before peeling non-stick into milk.

!#$@@$#!

>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Date: August 09, 2018 06:43PM
Fritz
starbucks!!??! WTF?

Think of it as the mp3 version of coffee -- lower quality than the real deal, but much more convenient.

It is what it is.
Date: August 09, 2018 08:04PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Think of it as the mp3 version of coffee -- lower quality than the real deal, but much more convenient.

but f'n $$$!.
I go to a coffee mom & pop around the corner from my free-lance gig. Got to have real deal. And their price is more reasonable.
Happy to have them nearby as SB is right across the street.
Couple other m&p's have failed.

!#$@@$#!

>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 10, 2018 01:35PM
I discovered my wife was packing the re-usable cup tightly to the lid causing the water to have difficulty flowing thru. I showed her to only pack it about 2/3 full and now she is getting nice hot coffee with full flavor. She seems happy so we will see. She is still interested in a possible change but I suspect it's just for change's sake.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 296
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015