advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Home Inventory Software
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: August 09, 2018 09:04AM
I’ve been thinking of doing a home inventory for the purpose of insurance valuation etc. I know I could just do a spreadsheet, but it would be nice if there was an easier way. I’d like to be able to include photos. I did see something called Home Inventory for $40. Doris anyone use such software? Recommendations?

Asheville, NC Area
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Home Inventory Software
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 09, 2018 09:35AM
I've often thought how a convenient tool would have a scanner to just read barcodes off items like books and CDs, and provide an image automatically. For other items you just take a photo and it creates a new entry.

There is probably something exactly like that available but I have never looked.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: August 09, 2018 09:42AM
Does Sortly fit the bill? It's free and allows bar
code reading plus up to 8 photos per item.

Edit: Free for limited use but that would give you an idea if it's worth continuing.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 09:46AM by voodoopenguin.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 09, 2018 09:55AM
Thanks for the tip on Sortly, vp! I'm downloading the Pro version now (which also looks like it's free).
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 09, 2018 10:35AM
Delicious Library is available for books/music/video libraries.

[www.delicious-monster.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: norse
Date: August 09, 2018 11:23AM
voodoopenguin
Does Sortly fit the bill? It's free and allows bar
code reading plus up to 8 photos per item.

Edit: Free for limited use but that would give you an idea if it's worth continuing.

Paul

Ouch, $30 a month?

I've been using MyStuff on the Mac for years but it's not the greatest app. I requested some enhancements over the years and they never implemented them. After you load a document (owner's manual) from the web, you cannot rename it. There are other UI problems too.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 09, 2018 12:30PM
Sortly sounds like it would be good, except for one thing....$3.99/month!? Who are they kidding. The free version is pretty useless for anyone with a house since it's only good for 100 items. I'd pay $3.99 for an app like this but a monthly fee is absurd.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: August 09, 2018 01:01PM
Shortly is only for iOS I was hoping for a Mac app. There is "Home Inventory". It's $40. I might still go for that unless there's something else.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 09, 2018 01:04PM
Why not just use a photo app, and tag the items in the metadata? Should be easy enough to export a list or generate a page with everything.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: August 09, 2018 03:52PM
"Home Inventory v3.7.4" in the Mac App Store seems to fit your requirements. It will hold listings, manual, receipts and photos. Looks like it covers all the bases. Pricey at $34 but if it does what you want, then it's worth it. Don't know id it will be compatible with a hand-held bar code reader, though.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: StingMe
Date: August 09, 2018 05:35PM
richorlin
Don't know id it will be compatible with a hand-held bar code reader, though.

I believe there is a free "remote" app you can use on your phone to do remote entry and scanning of barcodes...but I haven't used it in years.

[binaryformations.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 05:36PM by StingMe.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 10, 2018 09:06AM
....abacus + eidetic memory...............

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Buck
Date: August 10, 2018 02:01PM
Video. I taped and my wife explained what everything was.
Made me realize I have a grand worth of suits. Replacing all my ties would be $200.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 212
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015