advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wouldn't you know it! End of lease and got a flat tire...
Posted by: DP
Date: August 09, 2018 10:18AM
Shredded the sidewall so I can't patch it. But I really hate to have to buy a tire and give it to the dealership. I'll call the dealership to check on my obligation but what about a used tire (if I can find one)? Other options?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wouldn't you know it! End of lease and got a flat tire...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 09, 2018 10:22AM
Actually a used tire is a better option because it will have similar wear. Mid-level tire shops might have them.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 09, 2018 10:26AM
someone posted a link here a few days ago, something like usedtires.com or similar. Good luck.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 09, 2018 10:30AM
.....can you 'nab' one off of any car around.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 09, 2018 10:37AM
NewtonMP2100

If I lived closer to space-time, maybe.... grinning smiley

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Date: August 09, 2018 11:00AM
DP
NewtonMP2100

why are you harassing me?
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 09, 2018 11:03AM
You might check ChampTires on ebay. [www.ebay.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 09, 2018 11:07AM
I'd check the depth on the remaining tires and try to get similar.

Usedtires.com and ebay are your best bets unless there is a used tire shop nearby.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: August 09, 2018 11:16AM
space-time
DP
NewtonMP2100

why are you harassing me?

BTW, space, what OEMs are on your Mazda? We have Toyo A23s and (to tie in Ombligo's post) I have noticed that, although the Treadwear rating is for 90,000 miles, they are wearing a lot more than I would think with that rating. In fact, if we were keeping this car ('15 Mazda CX-5) I'd be thinking about replacing the tires soon. But we've put only 33,000 miles on them! And we aren't abusive drivers, especially because it's a lease.

Posted by: Carm
Date: August 09, 2018 11:24AM
I got some “blemish” tires off eBay before I traded a car to a dealership. It was a sequoia that ate through the original tires. I had the car less than a year. Gas guzzling beast. This was in 2004.
Date: August 09, 2018 11:25AM
.....can you get a 'chestier' tire to replace it......??

Date: August 09, 2018 11:56AM
DP
BTW, space, what OEMs are on your Mazda? We have Toyo A23s and (to tie in Ombligo's post) I have noticed that, although the Treadwear rating is for 90,000 miles, they are wearing a lot more than I would think with that rating. In fact, if we were keeping this car ('15 Mazda CX-5) I'd be thinking about replacing the tires soon. But we've put only 33,000 miles on them! And we aren't abusive drivers, especially because it's a lease.

We had the same Toyo A23 (I think) and at ~21k miles we had a flat tire and Costco guy said the side wall was damaged and refused to patch it. After reading about those tires online, I realized they were not very good and seemed to wear out faster. I spent a chunk of money and got 4 Micheline at Costco. We will see how they last. BTW, I doubt the A23 were going to last 90k, when I looked they seemed to be rated for 60k but maybe my memory is wrong.

I believe Tires in Europe are rated for less than in US, they probably use a different rubber composition and get better traction, but I never heard of tires over there being rated for 150k KM (90k Miles). Unless things changed lately. I believe in US the tire ratings are way overinflated (pun not intended).
Date: August 09, 2018 12:16PM
I think I read that it's illegal to patch a sidewall.

Well, I went to eBay and found the tire I need for $60 used.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 09, 2018 12:23PM
space-time
We had the same Toyo A23 (I think) and at ~21k miles we had a flat tire and Costco guy said the side wall was damaged and refused to patch it. After reading about those tires online, I realized they were not very good and seemed to wear out faster. I spent a chunk of money and got 4 Micheline at Costco.

Automobile tires are one of those things for which no expense should be spared to procure the best product possible. How much is your life worth?

It is what it is.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 09, 2018 12:29PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Automobile tires are one of those things for which no expense should be spared to procure the best product possible. How much is your life worth?

I agree in spirit but lets walk it back a bit -

You have a vehicle that weighs several thousand pounds. Approximately one square foot is in contact with the earth. Make sure you're using quality tires.

Posted by: Carm
Date: August 09, 2018 01:12PM
I agree mattkime and N-OS X-tasy, I just bought a set of Goodyear’s at Sams Club, best deal ever, even beat Costco and America’s tire. Previous set was from America’s Tire, Falcon Brand. They lasted about 3 years and didn’t crack- couldn’t say the same about the Michelin.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 09, 2018 01:17PM
DP

Well, I went to eBay and found the tire I need for $60 used.

Not illegal to patch a sidewall, but rarely possible with passenger car tires. Due to liability issues they will not attempt it in the few cases where it might work in case they missed seeing other damage that would rule the repair out.

For truck tires repairing a sidewall is common. The technique do do so is called a section repair. I have driven buses with tires that had section repairs, don't recall them failing any more often than other tires.
Posted by: max
Date: August 09, 2018 01:26PM
mattkime
N-OS X-tasy!

You have a vehicle that weighs several thousand pounds. Approximately one square foot is in contact with the earth. Make sure you're using quality tires.

I agree, that is why the best deal is to rent a car with the same tires for a day

and switch them out....
Date: August 09, 2018 02:14PM
max
mattkime
N-OS X-tasy!

I agree, that is why the best deal is to rent a car with the same tires for a day

and switch them out....

I used to rent vehicles for work a lot. Saw a bit of that, too...

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 09, 2018 02:47PM
max

and switch them out....

You're an evil genius!

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: August 09, 2018 02:47PM
DP

the hole was in the thread, not the side wall. But they said because of driving with low pressure, the side wall was damaged. They showed me what looked like a white circle on the inside of the tire, on the side wall.
Date: August 09, 2018 02:51PM
max
… I agree, that is why the best deal is to rent a car with the same tires for a day

and switch them out....

you might as well swap the battery, catalytic converter and steal the floor mats, spare tire, etc. when you do something, do it properly.
Date: August 09, 2018 03:52PM
....I must......I must......I must.......increase my bust...........

Date: August 09, 2018 04:07PM
Ombligo
max

and switch them out....

You're an evil genius!

We used to rent minivans for our work trips and once we had a Grand Caravan with 3,000 miles on it and the tires were worn to the steel belts! Showed the manager and he said, "I know exactly who did it...".

Date: August 09, 2018 08:29PM
DP
Ombligo
max

and switch them out....

You're an evil genius!

We used to rent minivans for our work trips and once we had a Grand Caravan with 3,000 miles on it and the tires were worn to the steel belts! Showed the manager and he said, "I know exactly who did it...".

Only a lazy amateur would wait for tires to wear down to the steel belts to do the deed....
Date: August 09, 2018 08:30PM
space-time
max
… I agree, that is why the best deal is to rent a car with the same tires for a day

and switch them out....

you might as well swap the battery, catalytic converter and steal the floor mats, spare tire, etc. when you do something, do it properly.

Missed the half-axles....
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 10, 2018 12:42AM
Now THAT'S dedication.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 254
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018