advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: Your most favorite car you ever drove or owned
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: August 09, 2018 07:45PM
1996 Olds LSS with the supercharged 3.8 V-6. Loved that car. Quiet, fast. Decent mileage and loaded for the era. It was actually fun to drive.

Bryan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 09, 2018 07:54PM
1982 Honda Accord.

Posted by: Pat
Date: August 09, 2018 08:43PM
2003 F250 Crew Cab, Long Bed, 7.3l diesel.

Not perfect, but that truck has been to hell and back more than once and is still going strong with 254K miles.
Posted by: Winston
Date: August 09, 2018 09:33PM
voodoopenguin

For those of you who may remember some of my cars I have mentioned here, no, it wasn't a Maserati. I just searched the interwebs and an old photo of my car is still there, a bit low res but you might just make out my young teenage daughter who loved going to the classic car shows with her Dad. Mine was the later 1973 model with the even bigger engine.

Paul

The Jensen Interceptor was one of those cars I really wanted when they were on the market. But as a teen I especially liked the Jensen Healey. Instead, my dad got a 1973 Mustang convertible, which was a nice looking bucket of bolts. But still more fun than the family station wagon . . .

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 09, 2018 10:21PM
My current car is my favorite. Toyota Solara convertible. Comfortable, fun, mildly sporty. Huge trunk. Very reliable. If anything were to happen to it I would look for another one. Unfortunately they stopped making them in 2008.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 10:23PM by davemchine.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 09, 2018 10:33PM
To date, that would be the, 2012 Toyota Prius C I bought new in June 2012. Earlier this year, I traded it in for a 2018 Toyota Prius Four Touring. This is the first time I've ever bought, not only the same brand but, the same model.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 10, 2018 12:00AM
Winston
The Jensen Interceptor was one of those cars I really wanted when they were on the market. But as a teen I especially liked the Jensen Healey.

Me too, but I was old enough to get one:

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 10, 2018 01:28AM
I didn't own but put a lot of miles on:

'77-'78 Chevy Nova.

350/4bbl/TH400.

Quick (fairly), and handled really, really well.

Driving it was amazing. I felt like an F1 driver. Surprisingly badass. I was very sad when they were EOLed.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 10, 2018 06:50AM
1971 Fiat 124 Spider. 5-not 4-speed and a seat that reclined! DOHC engine! Had to sell it and the guy who bought it was in the process of repainting it and a few other things and it was stolen out of his garage!

Edit: Oh, yeah. And my now vehicle; '15 Jeep Wrangler!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 06:51AM by DP.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 10, 2018 07:04AM
1970 Karmann Ghia 1.6 Coupe

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
"I Call Shenanigans!"
-Kyle Broflovski

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 10, 2018 08:00AM
2015.5 Volvo S60 T5. Not half as fugly as other makers.
Pleasure to drive and spend time in, unless you're in the back seat behind me.
Fast, sure-footed, great stock hi-fi that was often on 11.
Comfy, efficient, few issues beyond a slow computer.
I replaced it with a pig 2018 S90 T5. Kind of fast, still sure-footed as long as you don't ask too much off it.
Not-comfy over time, not efficient. Piercing stock hi-fi, still slow computer. My 3yo cell is way faster.
Room enough for a small village or pygmy elephant couple.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Date: August 10, 2018 08:02AM
@ ztirffritz sweet! Folks had a '65 or so. Was gonna be mine, but the engine died.
@ MrNoBody also sweet! Would like to own one.

!#$@@$#!

>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Posted by: davester
Date: August 10, 2018 09:47AM
Fritz
Room enough for a small village or pygmy elephant couple.

That sounds like good advertising copy. I'm surprised that the SUV makers don't pick up on language like that.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
About that Karmann Ghia...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 10, 2018 10:07AM
Is it just the perspective or my faulty memory— the Ghia looks like it has a noticeably longer front than that rear.

In my memory, the Ghias I saw had the top and driver area pretty well centered. In that pic (and several others) they seem to have a longer 'hood' than what I recall.

Is it just perspective, or did VW move the occupant compartment fore/aft at some point?

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 10, 2018 10:33AM
Is it just perspective

This. Phone camera default is wide angle which accentuates the part of the subject closer to the camera.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 10, 2018 12:58PM
2006 VW Jetta 2.0T, stick-shift. This is the one that has a regular suspension for comfortable long-distance driving, but the 200hp engine of the GLI and various Audi models. It's a real point-and-shoot car. I've had it almost 13 years, and still get a kick out of driving it.
Date: August 10, 2018 01:12PM
I had a rental 1984 VW Scirocco along time ago (duh!).
I was pretty nice, a little sloppy sometimes.

!#$@@$#!

>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Re: About that Karmann Ghia...
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 10, 2018 02:19PM
RAMd®d
Is it just the perspective or my faulty memory— the Ghia looks like it has a noticeably longer front than that rear.

In my memory, the Ghias I saw had the top and driver area pretty well centered. In that pic (and several others) they seem to have a longer 'hood' than what I recall.

Is it just perspective, or did VW move the occupant compartment fore/aft at some point?

We discussed this before, and I may be in the minority here, but I never liked the Karmann Ghia's looks.

Its rear deck area was disproportionately long, and its rear quarter view made it look like it had been deflated; like the air had been let out of the balloon.
Re: About that Karmann Ghia...
Date: August 10, 2018 02:38PM
DeusxMac
We discussed this before, and I may be in the minority here, but I never liked the Karmann Ghia's looks.

we forgive you.

!#$@@$#!

>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Posted by: Cary
Date: August 10, 2018 03:47PM
The best car I've ever owned? A 1973 Porsche 911T that was completely rebuilt (down to the tub) with an upgraded 2.7 liter (from 2.4) motor, hot cams, weber carbs, anti-dive geometry, coil-over suspension, steel fender flares, duck tail spoiler, etc... What a blast to drive.

The best car I've ever driven that I haven't owned? Toss up between a Formula Ford racer, and a Ferrari 488. Both a blast to drive...

I also loved my 72 240Z, 69 Camaro, and 75 BMW 2002, as well as some others, but the 911 was the best.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 10, 2018 05:13PM
I've been shopping around for a cheap 66 Corvair to convert into an EV. There are lots of kits to convert Porsches so I should be able to use one of those in a Corvair...I think.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 10, 2018 06:02PM
ztirffritz
I've been shopping around for a cheap 66 Corvair to convert into an EV. There are lots of kits to convert Porsches so I should be able to use one of those in a Corvair...I think.

Unsafe at any voltage.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 10, 2018 07:08PM
S. Pupp
ztirffritz

Unsafe at any voltage.

I hear those rear axles really swing though. smiley-music039
Posted by: Frank
Date: August 10, 2018 08:09PM
DeusxMac
S. Pupp
ztirffritz

Unsafe at any voltage.

I hear those rear axles really swing though. smiley-music039

It just wasn't the same after the swing axles left the party in '64.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 10, 2018 10:33PM
mstudio
This is impossible for me to answer since I've had a few favorites. The two I wish I still owned were a '78 VW Bus Westfalia and the '59 356 Porsche Cabriolet in the photo. Sold the bus in 1990 to buy a VW Vanagon camper that had heat and the 356 had to go in 1971 since I couldn't carry my art supplies.

You look cool as hell in that photo
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 11, 2018 12:05AM
Cary
The best car I've ever owned? A 1973 Porsche 911T that was completely rebuilt (down to the tub) with an upgraded 2.7 liter (from 2.4) motor, hot cams, weber carbs, anti-dive geometry, coil-over suspension, steel fender flares, duck tail spoiler, etc... What a blast to drive.

The best car I've ever driven that I haven't owned? Toss up between a Formula Ford racer, and a Ferrari 488. Both a blast to drive...

I also loved my 72 240Z, 69 Camaro, and 75 BMW 2002, as well as some others, but the 911 was the best.

You, sir, have exquisite taste in vehicles. smiling smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: Cary
Date: August 11, 2018 06:51AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Cary

You, sir, have exquisite taste in vehicles. smiling smiley

Thank you.

I wish I could afford my taste... :-)

I currently drive an 02 BMW 530i. Love the car - one of the best sedans ever made, in my opinion, and great to dxrive, but it pales in comparison to the others...
Date: August 11, 2018 02:43PM
1969 Camaro right after High School. The girls loved it. 'Nuff said...

D & C
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 311
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015