advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What the heck? "Side effect may in include certain kinds of cancer"
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 09, 2018 03:44PM
Watching a little TV and a commercial for a pharmaceutical respiratory drug runs. While depicting people enjoying life, playing with children, frolicking all about, the voice over lists the side effects. "Side effect may in include certain kinds of cancer". Isn't the cure worse than the disease?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What the heck? "Side effect may in include certain kinds of cancer"
Posted by: Z
Date: August 09, 2018 03:56PM
It's only a side effect! Jeez.

facepalm
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 09, 2018 04:12PM
.. But.. you get the kind of spiffy lifestyle they show on TV ! Take baths in those beach side bathtubs ! Live in SoCal or Tahiti ! Cancer is a small price to pay !

Wait.. what was your illness anyway ? Nah, you NEED that pill ! Call your doctor !!!!!

TV Watcher: "Doctor, I want that pill !"
Doctor: "Sir, it's just for women with a very specific condition."
TV Watcher: "Don't care !"
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 09, 2018 04:14PM
....olestra caused........*n*l leakage.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 09, 2018 04:33PM
Incorrect terminology.

A side effect is a symptom due to the intended actions of the drug, like the dry mouth and lack of tears, etc, which occur with decongestants.

An adverse effect is an entirely different effect of a drug caused by a different mechanism of action, such as liver damage caused by anabolic steroids or birth defects in developing fetuses from cortisone use.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 09, 2018 04:36PM
"commercial for a pharmaceutical respiratory drug"

if you're having problems breathing, are you gonna let a little cancer get in the way of a clear breath? You'll cut off your arm if it means being able to breath.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 09, 2018 05:54PM
hal
You'll cut off your arm if it means being able to breath.

maybe a leg, but I'm done cutting off arms.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: rz
Date: August 09, 2018 06:02PM
Whenever those commercials come on, I always say (in my best TV announcer voice), "Should death occur, discontinue use and contact your doctor right away."
Posted by: billb
Date: August 09, 2018 06:06PM
Their lawyers make them cover all the bases.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 09, 2018 08:31PM
I get a little freaked out by "May cause suicidal thoughts." I'd have to think long and hard about the cost-benefit analysis on that sucker.
Posted by: bik
Date: August 09, 2018 08:48PM
My current asthma medication offers an increased chance of asthma-related death.

Not what you look for in your medications but, yeah, I liked the feeling of breathing.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 09, 2018 09:20PM
I was told that they run a certain study and if someone has say cancer, they have to report it. It is possible the cancer is not cause by that medication, that person may have gotten cancer even if it were not part of the study. But maybe the cancer is caused by the medication. No one knows. They have to report ALL possible side effects. Some companies keep the study as small as possible for this reason.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 09, 2018 10:32PM
Ombligo
hal
You'll cut off your arm if it means being able to breath.

maybe a leg, but I'm done cutting off arms.

You can only do one, right?

Posted by: dk62
Date: August 10, 2018 05:18AM
I not sure which medication it is, but if it is any type of immunosuppresant, an increased possibility of cancers is to be expected. But the drug would not have been approved if there was no positive benefit to harm ratio.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 10, 2018 08:47AM
dk62
I not sure which medication it is, but if it is any type of immunosuppresant, an increased possibility of cancers is to be expected. But the drug would not have been approved if there was no positive benefit to harm ratio.

That is part of the problem, drug companies have been known to fudge or cherrypick the research data to show a positive enough ratio of benefit to harm.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: August 10, 2018 12:44PM
I figured you were just talking about 'Life' in general.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 10, 2018 07:31PM
There was a non-narcotic pain med back in the early 2000s that worked wonders for arthritis and joint issues. Can't recall the name but both my ex-wife and SaminTX took it. Anyway, I think A number of users had heart attacks while on it. Never actually proven to be the med. They used the word "linked"

Sam and I talked about it quite a lot back then. It allowed both her and my ex to actually live and enjoy life. My ex was able to exercise, be healthy and compete in triathlons. Took her off the med, couldn't exercise properly any more (still swims though I believe) Gained back about 100 pounds. I'll bet the extra weight is FAR more a health risk than the meds were.

Sam and I believe if there was any connection to the heart attacks and the med, it was because people were actually getting out of their chairs and living life. An 86 year old arthritis sufferer on this med has a heart attack? Maybe it was because he was 86! I guess it escaped them that many nearly crippled arthritis sufferers are the elderly, and wonder of wonders, they sometimes have heart attacks.

Found it! Vioxx

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 08:40PM by Racer X.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 11, 2018 05:29PM
You can believe that, but the manufacturer pulled the drug because it was not just a few cases, but an estimated 88-110,000 over 5 years. Merck got caught withholding information for that long about the increased chance of heart attacks and strokes. This adverse information was found by its own study started in 2001 for another usage of Vioxx, twice the chance compared to using a placebo.

There were also fabricated efficacy studies connected to getting the drug approved. One of those involved used to work at this area's largest medical center, his testimony about doing this came out 5 years after Merck discontinued the drug.
Posted by: dk62
Date: August 12, 2018 08:16AM
The truth is somewhere in the middle. There is mechanistic rationale why you would expect higher rates of heart issues with that medication. But that is the same mechanism that reduces the chance of potentially life threatening gastrointestinal bleeds that you can get with other pain meds at the similar level of efficacy. In addition, there were ethical issues with advocates on both sides of the issue. As mentioned, the drug was withdrawn, but there are still some experts in the field that think that the good outweighed the bad. Unfortunately, the whole thing was not handled appropriately. But the new(ish) transparency regulations (registration of clinical trials and results on clinicaltrials.gov) make it difficult for something like this to be repeated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 274
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015