advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Percentage of trip cost rebated to travel agent?
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 09, 2018 05:20PM
I have asked this question before but maybe not well enuf to get an answer. Does a travel company give a percentage of the trip cost to my travel agent when they book a trip for me? What percentage usually?

If I sign up for a $12,000 trip does my travel agent get a percentage for booking? Like 3%, 1% or ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Percentage of trip cost rebated to travel agent?
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 09, 2018 05:24PM
They get a commission I'm sure. I didn't know that travel agents were still a thing.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: billb
Date: August 09, 2018 06:04PM
Too many variations defining a "trip" and "travel company" . The percentage varies far too much.

Due to all the potential incentives there's no set percentage off the top per se.

Kick backs for joe blow travel company and national brand travel company are not going to be the same. National brand travel company can make discounted block purchases to hopefully make a few bucks.

The one travel agent I know is hardly staying in business and it's more of a hobby at this point as she gets about 2%. That's not even 2% on all her time spent as she makes nothing on airfare any more and very little on just a hotel room. "hotel room " does not include resort packages.
She was making a little extra taking groups on Alaska trips. Not necessarily extra money for herself but discounted accommodations. Tips appreciated.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: rz
Date: August 09, 2018 06:15PM
I don't know for sure, but travel agents are still a thing, and if you're planning a big vacation it can be worth it if you have a good one. Sure, if you're just looking for a cheap flight and hotel, it's probably not worth it. But travel agents, at least the good ones, can get deals that you and I can't get. They can get discounts on package deals, and the good ones know about stuff that could take you a lot of research to figure out.

We haven't used her in a while, but co-workers still use the one who arranged our honeymoon 20 years ago. A friend who just retired used her to help setup a 6-month around-the-world trip. He said she saved him quite a bit of money. His wife had been researching prices online for a while, and the agent found all kinds of deals they would have never found on their own. And the best part is, you don't pay a cent for using one. They get all their money from the companies (hotels, airlines, etc).
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 10, 2018 11:54AM
Yes travel agents are alive and. Well. Can get better deal and worth every penny.
Posted by: fauch
Date: August 12, 2018 03:31PM
On flights little to nothing and they often charge a service fee outright. On vacation packages and more so cruises they can make quite a bit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 206
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015