advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So Now We Know About The Best Car You Ever Owned--How About The Worst Car You Ever Owned
Posted by: jh
Date: August 09, 2018 07:13PM
Just one.

For me:

1978 Monte Carlo. Bought it brand new and it must have been built at the zenith of sloppy workman ship. Piece of trim came off before I took delivery, transmission needed work after several years (no I did not drive it hard either), AC needed work eventually. Finally got rid of it after I got married and replaced it with another stinker but that is another story.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So Now We Know About The Best Car You Ever Owned--How About The Worst Car You Ever Owned
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 09, 2018 07:19PM
Mazda 626 that I bought for some reason after a string of no-problem Honda Accords. They never could fix a couple of problems and I got rid of it right before the warranty ran out. Back to Honda.
Re: So Now We Know About The Best Car You Ever Owned--How About The Worst Car You Ever Owned
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 09, 2018 07:21PM
Honestly, it was that same 1977 VW Rabbit. Every car I've owned since then has been significantly and quantifiably better.

It is what it is.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 09, 2018 07:27PM

Mine had seat head rests.
You could count on it not starting when it was pouring rain and late at night in the dark. Luckily it was easy enough to adjust the points. It got 30mpg during the 1973/4 energy crisis when I just couldn't buy enough gas for the Z-28 to go very far. It did drive in the snow a little better.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 09, 2018 07:29PM
2016 Subaru Forester. First new car, first Subaru. Probably the last time I do either ever again. Tires were shot after 20k miles, the AC couldn't blow cold air in the WI summer, it couldn't warm up in the winter idling, the remote start turns off when you open a door, the sheet metal is so thin it got dented by someone leaning against it and the roof was rippled by a touchfree car wash blower. Super thin paint that after 30k miles was sand blasted to the primer all over the bumper. Radio wouldn't sync with iPhone over Bluetooth. Radio wouldn't pull in any album art or XM radio station icons. It was just a piece of crap. Had the rear seat fabric wear through, Radiator hose clamp failed, AC compressor was replaced, had multiple trips to have the ECM flashed to resolve odd issues, airbag light randomly came on when it was hot outside....I'm sure I'm missing stuff. Tried to purge that car from my memory. I've owned over 30 cars and this was by far the worst.

Oh, but it did do well in the snow and averaged 29mpg...once I put a set off 4 season snow tires on it. Still not worth it.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 07:32PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: August 09, 2018 07:37PM
94 T-Bird

Rode roughly. Rattled everywhere. Steering wheel came apart from the steering column. Could completely spin the steering around. Brakes warped. Paint started to fade. And Ford didn't give a damn.

Bryan
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 09, 2018 07:39PM

barf smiley

Don't ask.

(Photo is not mine. I destroyed all records of mine.)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 09, 2018 08:07PM
1982 Mazda GLC

Kept it two years, replaced two transmissions, and dumped it. The flywheel was spot welded together - poorly spot welded apparently since it kept breaking. The dealer refused to warranty cover it, that it was my fault.

You know it was bad when you wish you had bought a Dodge K-Car

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 08:11PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 09, 2018 08:19PM
A fully loaded 1995 Pontiac Trans Sport 2WD minivan. Pretty much anything that could go wrong w/ all the extra goodies, did. It had the same wheel fitment as the Caddy Northstar's, so I got some take=off Caddy wheels from the dealer (it was a Pontiac-Cadillac-GMC dealer), that were a little bigger than the factory alloys, but other than the wheels, that was the longest three and half years of car ownership ever.
==
Posted by: davester
Date: August 09, 2018 08:21PM
1968 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. Funnily enough this one is the hardtop brother of cbelt3's favorite car. It was a pretty decent handling car with decent power for such a tiny engine (1500cc). However, every part on that car was flimsy as heck, including the ridiculously thin sheet metal. It broke down often and parts were both expensive and difficult to get. Also, it had that horrid Italian driving position (arms straight out, steeply upward-tilted steering wheel), and was notorious for having bouncy rubber links in the accelerator linkage (resulting in extremely jerky acceleration. Compared to that car, my next car (a supposedly unreliable MGB) was as reliable as a Toyota.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 08:24PM by davester.
Posted by: Pat
Date: August 09, 2018 08:38PM
1976 Fiat X/19. My parents owned it,but it was still around when I started driving. With or without car you were gonna end up walking.

Edit:. Forgot about my wife's 2001Toyota RAV4. Burned up catalytic converters on a regular basis after an emissions update. The most fun was the electrical glitch in the ECU that would throw the transmission into reverse/park while driving, then try to start you off n 3rd gear. The way Toyota handled that one made it our last one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 10:03AM by Pat.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 09, 2018 08:40PM
7th generation Ford Thunderbird. A lead sled, sucked down gas like it was free, could not get out of its own way. And only survived less than a year before dying brilliantly in an accident. The Toyota that hit me was totaled, but the insurance decided the side damage to my boat was too much. I was not sad.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: August 09, 2018 08:50PM
My first car. 1962 Rambler American
Bought it off a gypsy (really) in The Bronx for $100.
Was able to drive it home and around the neighborhood for 2 hours before the transmission died.
Boy, was I stupid in 1969.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: Winston
Date: August 09, 2018 09:13PM
My mother's 1974 Ford Mustang II. Engine would die when you were braking going around a corner. Had to brake first.

Followed closely by my dad's 1976 Cadillac Seville. Killed any respect I ever had for Cadillac.

On my end, a used 2003 Audi S8. Drives wonderfully, seats are incredibly comfortable for long drives, has the best speakers I've heard on a car, and it keeps eating parts. And now you can't get parts. As far as I'm concerned, a "luxury" brand isn't so unless parts are available for 50 years or so. Which leaves out all but Mercedes-Benz, and probably Rolls Royce and Bentley.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 09, 2018 09:15PM
Mercury Topaz. Literally ALL power windows broke, driver's side twice.

I am pretty sure every optional part that was not required for the car to run failed.

Our mechanic refused to fix it any more, as he felt it suggested he was bad at his job!
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: August 09, 2018 09:47PM
1979 Mustang. So bad in so many ways.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: August 09, 2018 09:48PM
There have been a few, including the VW Jetta Diesel (AKA, so sue us, we lied about emissions) or the 69 bug that didn't have working heat in the winter and you could see the road through holes in the floorboard beneath the driver. The all-time lemon, though, had to be both of my mid 70s Mercury Capris. My grandfather convinced me to buy the first, because he loved Mercuries, but I was driving it on campus, thought I smelled gas, and looked ahead to see half the campus waving me to stop. BMOC, right? As soon as I stopped, the car was engulfed in fire and soon a complete total. My grandfather felt so badly he bought me another Capri, same mid-70s model. Two weeks after I got it, started smelling gas as I pulled into the local mall. You can guess what happened as soon as I stopped. I graduated soon after, got a Toyota, and except for the Jetta fiasco have been happy with Toyotas since.
Posted by: August West
Date: August 09, 2018 09:50PM
Some kind of AMC wagon bought at a gov't auction for 200 bucks that was essentially shot, but ran the road. Had it for about 10-11 months and someone rear-ended us hard on a freeway exit. Totaled the junker got about 2800 in book value for it.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: August 09, 2018 09:56PM
1966 MG MGB GT, oh dear God what a piece of crap...

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 09, 2018 09:57PM
The 1991 Ford Exploder (the first model year). It was in for warranty work 13 times in the first year. Radio replaced 4 times, transfer case 3 times. We polished it up to make it look brand new and drove it 100 miles to the Suzuki dealer to trade for a Sidekick. I stopped at McD's for a coffee and the drive thru person said "It seems as if your car is on fire" and it was. Valve cover gasket was leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold. Fortunately was caught before there was significant damage. Went to the carwash next door, and cleaned the engine, then did it again a few blocks from the dealer.

The salesperson never did a test drive on my trade. He just noted the miles and how sparkling clean it was. The trade-in covered the cost of the Sidekick. The Sidekick was a great car until it met it's demise. Long downhill driveway and a 5 year old kid left in the idling car alone. Fortunately nobody was injured.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 09, 2018 10:15PM
My first car; a 1965 Ford Mustang was mine if I got it out of the yard where it had been sitting for many years. This was early 70's when a decent used car could be had for well under $1,000. By the time my father's mechanic finished getting it roadworthy, I'd sunk about $1,200 into it. Originally, it had a V-8. When I got it, the original V-8 had been replaced with a straight 6 (which made it ride nose high). I drove it a couple of years and traded it for an Opel Kadet.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 09, 2018 10:19PM
1980’s era Plymouth Reliant. Gutless as it could possibly be. I would step on the gas and wait...and wait....and wait until the rubber band got tight enough and the car finally started to move. Happy to see it go.

2001 Chrysler Sebring convertible. Super fun to drive. Felt like a go cart. Hit 60k miles and all the paint fell off the hood, the AC stopped working and various buttons on dash stopped working. All expensive fixes so away it went.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 09, 2018 10:28PM
'61 Corvair van. I'd had a Corvair pickup, which was bad, but I wanted a van, so I traded my boss for his van. Bare metal inside, so it was loud, even with a new muffler. 3-speed, but it needed at least a 4-sp because the engine was so weak. The side doors flew open when I hit mild bumps. The heater was a small furnace that ran on gas from the tank, with its own spark plug. It would fill the cab with choking fumes in about a minute. Somebody had taken a torch to the front springs to lower it, but went too far, so the ride as bonebreaking, probable why the doors flew open. It blew up on the guy I gave it to. I felt bad about giving it to a friend.

davester, I hear you on the Fiat. We stopped taking Fiats in our shop, because too often they would break down while we worked on them. 124 was fun to drive, though.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 09, 2018 10:46PM
Forgot about the mid 70's bright orange Mercury Bobcat all-glass liftback... didn't have a lot of extras, but it was a piece of crap. Way easier and cheaper to fix than the '95 minivan. Somewhere around 1985/86 I traded it for a set of 1972 Wilson Staff irons and a pro style Wilson Staff golf bag. I got the way better end of that deal.
==
Posted by: davec
Date: August 09, 2018 10:47PM
1968 AMC Rebel- the only car I've owned that almost killed me. Horrible rust issues. The metal around the door latch was in bad condition and the floor was very badly rusted. On one occasion while driving alongside a semi truck, the door popped open. I reached over to close the door and my left foot went completely through the floor. I was holding on to the door, hanging halfway out of the car, going around a curve in the road with the semi right beside me. With my one hand on the steering wheel I managed to pull myself back into the car, slam the door shut and pull my foot back up through the hole in the floor pan. Shortly after that, I had a local guy weld in some metal for the door latch and the floor and the car and I survived being together another two years.

Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 09, 2018 11:30PM
This is a much better thread than the favorite car thread! Great stories.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 10, 2018 12:35AM
A 1986 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Brougham. We owned it from mile 2, had it serviced exclusively at the GM dealership we bought it from…and in our 4 years/90,000 miles of ownership, literally everything that could go wrong did. The only things that didn't break were the body (although pieces of trim fell off) and exhaust system. I'm not exaggerating and I'm not talking about blown fuses here.

The next worst was a beautiful POC 1984 Oldsmobile Toronado.

Coming in at #3 was a 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.

(Yep, 1986 was the last year we bought a GM product.)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 10, 2018 12:38AM
jh
Just one.

For me:

1978 Monte Carlo. Bought it brand new and it must have been built at the zenith of sloppy workman ship. Piece of trim came off before I took delivery, transmission needed work after several years (no I did not drive it hard either), AC needed work eventually. Finally got rid of it after I got married and replaced it with another stinker but that is another story.

That's because it had the notorious GM Turbo Hydramatic 200 Metric. POS had stamped gears. Most grenaded just after the warranty was up. Class action lawsuit to. My dad had one in a '78 Gutlass Salon.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 10, 2018 01:39AM
I've been lucky.

I've been a Chevy guy all my life, until a few years back.

Still, all my cars have severed me well, maybe even better than I deserved. LOL!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: August 10, 2018 02:03AM
RAMd®d
all my cars have severed me well

Freudian slip?

It is what it is.
Date: August 10, 2018 07:38AM
Nah, just a little cognitive dissonance.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: August 10, 2018 07:41AM
Honestly, it was that same 1977 VW Rabbit.

It was the best of cars; it was the worst of cars.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

of evil men.

Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: August 10, 2018 07:53AM
1974ish Dodge Colt. Was repaired weekly.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 10, 2018 08:18AM
1979 Ford LTD, hand me down from my mom. Looked like a cop car. My high school buddies dubbed it "the Blue Bomb."

Looked something like this:

Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 10, 2018 08:20AM
@ DeusxMac is that one of them cold war Russian made Renault?
That's a chick magnet if I ever saw one!

1969 (I think) Ford Econoline hippy f truck. Other than the f.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 10, 2018 08:22AM
1977 VW Dasher (body style later resurrected as the Fox) was our family's worst.

Mom keep the above almost 20 years, and going back through her records later I found she spent ~$3,000/year at the local independent VW specialist to keep it going.

We joked it didn't need fuses after the main wiring harness became a fusible link (flaming, melting plastic dripping down underneath the dash)

My worst vehicles personally have been Chevrolets.

#1 was the Camaro I got new at 16 from an older relative, since after all, what brand new teen driver doesn't need a sports car?

Couldn't keep it aligned no matter how many suspension parts were replaced (ate tires like no tomorrow), steering wheel internal plastic gears stripped (had to have it towed many times).

#2 is the current Suburban I got for free from another family member

Though, at least so far, I've never had to have it towed.

Air suspension failed at 75,000 miles ($1200 to replace with a conventional shock/strut kit)

Engine cylinder deactivation (at highway speed) was burning 1 quart of oil every 300 miles until I paid a few hundred bucks for a custom tune to turn off that "feature" in the computer.

Hopefully I caught it in time to avoid the piston damage that usually necessitates a replacement engine.

Exterior plastic door handles that have broken more than once (last pair replaced with $300/pair metal aftermarket)

Annoying little things like the rear defrost tab popping loose. Although it has been re-soldered twice by the local auto glass shop it now looks like I'll have to replace the entire rear glass panel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 08:23AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: August 10, 2018 08:26AM
Mid 80s Audi 5000s- The car ran great (5 cyl. engine was smooth) but EVERY electrical system was sketchy. It was also hard to trouble shoot because sometimes things would work, sometimes not. Headlight shorts, power windows go up or down at random times, buzzers and warnings constantly when nothing was actually wrong, hazard lights that sometimes would not turn off, etc.

Athens, OH
Posted by: raz
Date: August 10, 2018 08:46AM
1994 Ford Aerostar.

Needed the space with two kids and their crap, but what an awful vehicle.

Funny story, though. I rented a Ford Escape about 15 years later taking the oldest on a College visit. After a few miles, it was like being in the Aerostar. I swear Ford was using the same transmission.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: August 10, 2018 08:55AM
I'll also have to add my 1981 Fiat Spyder 2000 Turbo. Which TIL was a VERY rare car.. like they only made 700 of them.

It ate mufflers. I had to replace them every 5.000 miles. I think they were originally made of rust and shiny spray paint.

The turbocharger was an incredible POS. It lunched itself after about 10,000 miles, when my cool sports car suddenly became a WWII destroyer laying a smoke screen of oil smoke out the back. Had to use a pair of vice grips to close off the oil line so I could get it home.

The exhaust manifold cracked at 8,000 miles due to turbocharger stress. I ordered a replacement for $125. When my wife went to pick it up 3 months later, they demanded $900. She called me in a panic and I said "Just walk away". I found a guy that was able to weld it up.

It had a rear seat which was big enough for our Lhasa Apso. She liked to go for rides, I still have memories of seeing her little nose raised in the airstream when the top was down, long hair flying behind her. Or a thin and limber adult curled up lying down.

The air dam was held on with plastic fasteners and ripped off when I went through a snowdrift. I later discovered that the air dam was really necessary when the front end lifted off at about 120mph... scared the hell out of me.

The turbocharger was supposed to kick in immediately. Yeah, um, nope. 4krpm was when it really spooled up. I almost killed the clutch dumping it in gear to spin the tires. My foot slipped. Whoops.

It was impossible to drive with boots... the pedals pretty much demanded skinny Italian driving shoes. I kept a pair of loafers in the car in the winter.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 10, 2018 09:07AM
Uh, I've only owned one car so here it goes.

Worst things about my 2017 VW Golf Alltrack

- I had to travel to dc to get a good deal on it ($5k below sticker)
- It expects gas on regular intervals
- The tires are wearing a hell of a lot more quickly than the rating would indicate but I'm eager to get nicer tires on it anyway.
- The rear seat belongs to my son. Cracker crumbs everywhere.
- Turbo means you don't get real power until 3k rpm
- Not rated for towing in the US but it is in europe. This does not get in the way of the more industrious
- the Infotainment system needs to be reset once in a while to make car play work.
- Oh, I did suffer a windshield crack from highway debris in the first thousand miles or so.
- Stock acceleration was nothing to write home about but great for its class.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 09:08AM by mattkime.
Posted by: Cary
Date: August 10, 2018 09:30AM
Take (or leave) your pick:
1982 Mercury Capri - sort of fun, what a piece of crap.
1985 (or so) Audi 100 (5000?). Spontaneously combusted in the driveway one night.
197x AMC Sportabout - no fun, what a piece of crap...

There were others, but those were the creme de la creme (or the exact opposite of that, actually).
Date: August 10, 2018 10:34AM
raz
1994 Ford Aerostar.

Needed the space with two kids and their crap, but what an awful vehicle.

Funny story, though. I rented a Ford Escape about 15 years later taking the oldest on a College visit. After a few miles, it was like being in the Aerostar. I swear Ford was using the same transmission.

Famously bad, this one was.

It is what it is.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 10, 2018 12:01PM
Not one honda or toyota on this list so far...
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 10, 2018 12:26PM
1973 VW Superbeetle, bought used in 1985.

1. Could not turn off heat. In the Pennsylvania summer, a thermometer once pinned at 130 degrees F. "Unfixable," per mechanic.
2. Braking in the rain caused a lane shift.
3. Braking to a stop caused the car to stall. "Unfixable," per mechanic.
4. Accelerator would stick.
5. After heavy rain, the car would not start.
6. I began sinking once while driving. Turns out the floor was dropping out.
7. The car burned to the ground in 1991, with my senior thesis on a floppy disk in the back seat.

Oddly enough, it failed PA inspection only once. Reason given was that the horn was too quiet.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 10, 2018 12:33PM
My all time worst vehicle was a 1986 Ford Ranger. That thing was constantly breaking down, often leaving me stranded. Needed a new clutch every year, and it went out without ANY warning. Engine was constantly failing, many expensive repairs along with parts I replaced myself.

The only good thing I remember about it was when the heater core failed. It was mounted under the glove compartment and was easily accessible. The new core wasn't expensive either. IIRC, it took about 15 minutes to swap out.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 10, 2018 01:31PM
Only ever owned one car, so here it goes:

1983 Volvo 245 (then sold as the DL - low trim model). Just ran through the vehicle repair history a few days ago while clearing out old paperwork.

Roughly $3-4K of work on it in the first 5 years for loads of things like wheel alignment, soft brakes, loud axle noise, radio, power steering, etc. Later on 2x master cylinder replacements before it was 12yo. Seems like it was in the shop every 6 mo for the first few years of it's life. Died on me in the middle of an AZ summer and had a nice long walk back to get it towed. Electrical problem again.

But over time it became a tank as initial quality issues were worked out and it made a 9Kmi. cross country trip at 10yo. with no problems. Generally did about $1K work on it every 2-3 years for the last 20 years of it's life and only got rid of it because a 35 year old car is a project, not a daily driver.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 10, 2018 03:37PM
Some notable clunkers haven't made the list -- No Ford Pinto, Ford Fairmont, Chrysler K-cars, Chevy Citation, Cadillac Cimarron, AMC Gremlin, Chevrolet Chevette, Cadillac V-8-6-4, Triumph TR7, Ford Mustang II, and, of course, the AMC Pacer (I won't even mention the Yugo).

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 10, 2018 05:11PM
Ombligo
Some notable clunkers haven't made the list -- No Ford Pinto, Ford Fairmont, Chrysler K-cars, Chevy Citation, Cadillac Cimarron, AMC Gremlin, Chevrolet Chevette, Cadillac V-8-6-4, Triumph TR7, Ford Mustang II, and, of course, the AMC Pacer (I won't even mention the Yugo).

I think the operative phrase here is "you ever owned".
Perhaps none of the responders has been unlucky enough to own any of those.

(Or they have, but they owned something even worse.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 05:12PM by DeusxMac.
Date: August 10, 2018 06:19PM
We had a Chevette. It was remarkably easy to work on, and not an interference engine. I replaced the timing belt in a parking lot. It had a problem holding onto the oil pan. Mrs Cbelt3 and I were driving really fast in Illinois and got pulled over. As I came to a halt the oil pan cut loose and a gout of smoke came from underneat car. I rolled out with a fire extinguisher and tools, slid underneath and tightened it up. The officer walked over and said “ hey, you’ve got enough problems, so slow down, OK ?”

Earlier that summer the same car featured in my night driving at high speeds with night vision goggles story.

It finally died of rust. A good little car.
Posted by: rz
Date: August 10, 2018 08:58PM
1974 Chevy Vega. My dad bought *3* of them! First one, my sister totaled. Second one, my brother totaled. I got the third one. Aluminum engine block. Didn't even make it to 70,000 miles before it finally died. The last year we had it, it was in the service garage more than our driveway. The first two, we were able to get like $50 to scrap it. Last one, I had to call around before we found a place that would agree to take it for nothing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 196
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015