advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
speaking of a*****e drivers, what cars do they drive?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 10, 2018 11:41AM
I have found, over years of non-empirical study, and hundreds of thousands of miles, that there is one car that a******s prefer, and that is the Jeep Grand Cherokee. In fact, I don't even know what the second most a**holey car is because the cohort is so dominated by the Cherokee. Now, interestingly, this does not seem to extend to other Jeep models. Some Wrangler models driven by kids are certainly aggressive, but the rule seems pretty exclusive to the Grand Cherokee. That's my take, what's yours?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: speaking of a*****e drivers, what cars do they drive?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 10, 2018 11:50AM
Ones with Jersey plates on them.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 10, 2018 11:53AM
MrBig,

Nope. No make, model or year in particular. They drive all types of vehicles. Even school bus drivers are known to drive like a**hats around here and they do it with children on board. I don't stand for that. If I see a school bus driver operating the bus like an a**hat, I call the bus company and report it. No doubt about it. They need to know what is going on and take appropriate action.

Robert
Posted by: Bernie
Date: August 10, 2018 11:54AM

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 10, 2018 11:56AM
my empirical experience says BMW. I am not now saying all MBW drivers are aggressive, far from such a statement, just that the percentage of drivers being aggressive is higher for BMW than other makers, based on MY limited empirical observation.

And I want to make it clear that someone accelerating a sport car from a red light, as long as they have clear road ahead of them, and they do not exceed the speed limit by an absurd amount is not considered aggressive. What I find aggressive and annoying is when someone tailgates, runs stop/red lights, do not stop at right turn on red, or even honk if you do, they are pissed off that you obey the law and slow them down.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 10, 2018 12:15PM
More often than not it is a BMW making a di@@head inconsiderate “rules are for other people” move around here.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 10, 2018 12:28PM
A sedan, usually beat to heck and with pieces hanging off of it. I see a bashed in car, I stay the heck away from it. Lest it use my car to add to its collection of scars.

Alternatively an overpowered male member compensatory device, usually a large pickup truck with stupid bumper stickers, often with confederate flags (not the white hanky one) flying. Those guys are terrifying.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 10, 2018 12:36PM
> I see a bashed in car, I stay the heck away from it.

LOL! You must have never driven in Detroit! When I get down that way, virtually EVERY vehicle has a fender bender.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 10, 2018 12:37PM
Car seems to be irrelevant, but I see more and more women than men.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 10, 2018 12:46PM
High-end luxury car drivers in general, and (for reasons that are unclear) Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Neon drivers are more apt to be unnecessarily thoughtless and aggressive. NOT 100%, of course, but generally.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 10, 2018 12:47PM
.....the buTTmobile.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 10, 2018 12:49PM
In NC it's Dodge RAM pickups. I asked a guy one day if there was a sticker inside his truck that said, "tailgate every chance you get".

Grateful11
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 10, 2018 12:56PM
Car makes associated with a*****e drivers vary from city to city. In the SGV it was Audis and to a lesser extent BMWs but more recently that's been moving to Maseratis. There is a typical type of driver associated with these cars which I choose not to elaborate on but it's not gender-based.

However there are also the timid/lame/annoying not very good drivers and that association is with Toyotas, usually Corollas and Camrys, more rarely Avalons or Lexuses. And yes there is a type of driver (different from above) very commonly associated with those makes which I will not elaborate on.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 10, 2018 01:03PM
mrbigstuff
I have found, over years of non-empirical study, and hundreds of thousands of miles...?

"Non-empirical"??
Meaning that your findings are NOT based on observation?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 10, 2018 01:29PM
I avoid Prius like the plague. I understand they want to maximize their gas mileage but their slow starts, driving 5mph under the speed limit, glacially slow turns into parking lots with no blinkers drives me insane. I just try to remember that the driver might be a member of my church or maybe a friend of my grandmother's and that it's me that needs to have a better attitude.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 10, 2018 01:39PM
Lew Zealand
There is a typical type of driver associated with these cars which I choose not to elaborate on but it's not gender-based.

Pretty sure its the same here. guy up the street with 2, one is white with red anoodized rims and loud aftermarket exahust. I see him locally, always zipping and blipping.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 10, 2018 01:41PM
In NYC its garbage trucks. they don't give a @#$%&

Posted by: Buck
Date: August 10, 2018 01:57PM
That's easy: Prius drivers
Posted by: jimmy d
Date: August 10, 2018 02:10PM
In my experience it's Benzes, but maybe that's because I live in an area where they're one of the most driven brands (my wife drives one).

"Study: Wealthier Motorists More Likely to Drive Like Reckless Jerks"

[usa.streetsblog.org]
Date: August 10, 2018 02:34PM
DeusxMac
mrbigstuff
I have found, over years of non-empirical study, and hundreds of thousands of miles...?

"Non-empirical"??
Meaning that your findings are NOT based on observation?

Meaning the data are not based on any study, yes on observations
Date: August 10, 2018 02:38PM
Lew Zealand
Car makes associated with a*****e drivers vary from city to city. In the SGV it was Audis and to a lesser extent BMWs but more recently that's been moving to Maseratis. There is a typical type of driver associated with these cars which I choose not to elaborate on but it's not gender-based.

However there are also the timid/lame/annoying not very good drivers and that association is with Toyotas, usually Corollas and Camrys, more rarely Avalons or Lexuses. And yes there is a type of driver (different from above) very commonly associated with those makes which I will not elaborate on.

Haha, I usually joke that the AARP had a group buy on Camrys. Whenever I'm behind one, I never honk, because it's usually an elderly driver. The Corolla is the car of grad students or recent immigrants around here.
Posted by: dk62
Date: August 10, 2018 02:42PM
Large pickup trucks
Posted by: Forrest
Date: August 10, 2018 02:49PM

Ones with Jersey plates on them.

As a NJ resident - I fully agree with you smiley-laughing001
Date: August 10, 2018 03:33PM
Detroit!

OHIO!

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 10, 2018 03:37PM
PT Cruiser
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 10, 2018 03:49PM
The further off the ground a pickup is, the bigger the ass inside.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: davester
Date: August 10, 2018 03:59PM
Oh boy, let's play the stereotype game!

BTW, it's whatever car I'm not in.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 10, 2018 04:03PM
davester
Oh boy, let's play the stereotype game!

BTW, it's whatever car I'm not in.

Totally. This topic is more about confirmation bias than anything else.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 10, 2018 04:21PM
Ombligo
The further off the ground a pickup is, the bigger the ass inside.

thumbs up A lot of truth to that.

Speaking of which, remember when most pickups were at more normal heights. A few would modify theirs for higher road clearance, but they were the exception. Even 4-wheel drive pickups tended to not be anywhere as high as pickups are in general now.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 10, 2018 04:30PM
Any vehicle in Boston.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 10, 2018 04:33PM
Not scientific but pickups trucks with lifted suspension, the higher the lift, the higher the possibility.

Date: August 10, 2018 04:53PM
Hey,
What is the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?

A BMW has the pricks on the inside.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: August 10, 2018 06:42PM
I'm just waiting for Last Poster, I'm always curious about what he has to say.
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 10, 2018 07:48PM
Unbelievable. I didn't even start reading the thread, but as soon as I saw the subject line, I said aloud, "Jeep Cherokee". After that, pretty much any other model of Jeep, then BMW suvs (for some reason, the BMW sedan drivers aren't so bad).

Incidentally, I also get annoyed with many Prius drivers. And I drive a Prius. Unfortunately, I drive it like I used to drive every other car I've owned, which is probably more aggressively than I should. Which is also why I'm getting only 50-ish mpg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 07:54PM by wurm.
Posted by: 3d
Date: August 11, 2018 06:51AM
Pickups. Any make. Any model. Any condition.

Pickup a*****e drivers fall in two categories:

A1) Workers who are racing to and from multiple jobsites throughout the day. Resources stretched thin to make a buck. They deal with whiny customers all day. In their truck, they feel in control and stronger than you. It's a break for them, mentally.

A2) Weekend wimps who have no reason owning a pickup other than to make themselves feel bigger. They deal with belittling people all day. In their truck, they feel in control and stronger than you. It's a break for them, mentally.
Date: August 11, 2018 07:36AM
I resemble that remark

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 11, 2018 09:03AM
Yep, lifted pickups, esp black Rams. Also Prius drivers, though not agressive, just seem to be in their own world without a clue that there are drivers who would like to go at least the speed limit in the HOV lane.

Near Seattle, there was a Prius in the HOV lane holding up a long line of cars. The guy behind it was beside me to my left, obviously frustrated, but not agressive. He looked at me shaking his head doing the WTF? hand gesture. I backed off to let him around; you'd have thought I gave him my winning Lotto ticket. Made my day, and his too, I suspect.

I drove a friend's Prius a few weeks ago. There's something about it that made me feel cut off from the outside world. Maybe that's the problem with their drivers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 09:04AM by lost in space.
Date: August 11, 2018 10:29AM
The comments a about the Prius are interesting to me, as I certainly see some trying to hypermile, but many of them are hauling a**, esp on the highway. I've often wondered about that.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 11, 2018 10:39AM
Since we're stereo typing, let's not for get women.

Any woman in an SUV or crossover must be a soccer mom and sooner or later will cause a fiery death of some innocent person.

Oh, and 'millennials'. I don't know what there weapon of choice is (Ubër?) but no doubt they're up to no good as well.

Ah. That was fun.

Next bias...?

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: August 11, 2018 02:17PM
Next bias...?

You'd be incorrect in the application of that word, however, in this instance.

bias:

a : an inclination of temperament or outlook; especially : a personal and sometimes unreasoned judgment : prejudice
b : an instance of such prejudice
c : bent, tendency
d (1) : deviation of the expected value of a statistical estimate from the quantity it estimates
(2) : systematic error introduced into sampling or testing by selecting or encouraging one outcome or answer over others

observation:

a : an act or instance of observing a custom, rule, or law

observation of the dress code

b : observance 3

The characters in her novel are based on close observation of her family.

2 a : an act of recognizing and noting a fact or occurrence often involving measurement with instruments

weather observations

b : a record or description so obtained

Scientific observations were sent to the committee.

3 : a judgment on or inference (see inference 1) from what one has observed; broadly : remark, statement

an insightful observation

based his observations on his own research

Date: August 11, 2018 02:36PM
"Any woman in an SUV or crossover must be a soccer mom and sooner or later will cause a fiery death of some innocent person."

I nearly coughed out a lung laughing at that one. In LA that was the most dangerous driver I encountered. In Chicago all drivers. In Seattle Subaru drivers busy tuning their radios to NPR while drinking their $8 Starbucks lattes.

Of course none of the above is true except the crazy "risk life & limb to get 2 cars ahead" Chicago drivers.

D & C
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 11, 2018 04:35PM
You'd be incorrect in the application of that word, however, in this instance.

I'll stipulate the possibility, but not the likelihood as:

bias:

a : an inclination of temperament or outlook; especially : a personal and sometimes unreasoned judgment : prejudice
b : an instance of such prejudice
c : bent, tendency
d (1) : deviation of the expected value of a statistical estimate from the quantity it estimates
(2) : systematic error introduced into sampling or testing by selecting or encouraging one outcome or answer over others

very often colors what people think are:

observations:

a : an act or instance of observing a custom, rule, or law

observation of the dress code

b : observance 3

The characters in her novel are based on close observation of her family.

2 a : an act of recognizing and noting a fact or occurrence often involving measurement with instruments

weather observations

b : a record or description so obtained

Scientific observations were sent to the committee.

3 : a judgment on or inference (see inference 1) from what one has observed; broadly : remark, statement

an insightful observation

based his observations on his own research

If the subject line were less ambiguous, there might not be any responses attempting to link a type of driver or driver's behavior to a category of car. But there are several, enough that any conclusions and/or implications would be suspect.

For most any truly objective statement equivalent to 'I saw X people doing Y in Z cars' without attempting to draw a correlation, I'd say 'bias' would probably not be appropriate.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: August 11, 2018 10:23PM
In the old days, inattentive/clueless drivers were often behind the wheel of a Volvo (“the car for people who hate cars”), but nowadays the Prius driver has taken over that role.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 12, 2018 05:50AM
space-time
my empirical experience says BMW. I am not now saying all MBW drivers are aggressive, far from such a statement, just that the percentage of drivers being aggressive is higher for BMW than other makers, based on MY limited empirical observation.

And I want to make it clear that someone accelerating a sport car from a red light, as long as they have clear road ahead of them, and they do not exceed the speed limit by an absurd amount is not considered aggressive. What I find aggressive and annoying is when someone tailgates, runs stop/red lights, do not stop at right turn on red, or even honk if you do, they are pissed off that you obey the law and slow them down.

Around here, the majority of BMW and Mercedes drivers can't drive to save their lives and are extremely inconsiderate. Especially driving in the left lane and under the speed limit.

I've often said that BMW should change their tag line to "the Ultimate Driving Machine for those that can't drive."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 217
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015