advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How much "uumph" from an SSD upgrade in an old iMac?
Posted by: JPK
Date: August 10, 2018 11:53AM
I have set up an old iMac that my mother in law uses for internet, letters and other basic stuff. I think it is a 2009 probably a iMac9,1 or A1224. She is not complaining, but I used it the other day and it seemed really sluggish.

It has the original 320gb which she uses very little capacity of.

I picked up one of those Inland SSD 240gb drives from MicroCenter for $40 bucks. Is it worth the time to install a new SSD in it? Will it give a noticeable boost in peppiness?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

JPK

PS I did recently update from 4gb RAM to 8.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How much "uumph" from an SSD upgrade in an old iMac?
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 10, 2018 11:57AM
A lot of UUMPF, especially if you do a clean install and migrate documents. Migrating old crap can show down a good SSD.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 10, 2018 12:10PM
WORTH IT

Posted by: hal
Date: August 10, 2018 12:25PM
IT's the ONLY thing you can do to that computer to make it go faster and you WILL notice the difference. It's a no-brainer at $40.

Increases umph by about 320%
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 10, 2018 12:31PM
mattkime
WORTH IT

hal
IT's the ONLY thing you can do to that computer to make it go faster and you WILL notice the difference. It's a no-brainer at $40. Increases umph by about 320%

agree smiley

same as it ever was
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 10, 2018 12:36PM
4 out of 4 MRFers agree -- SSD will make a big difference.

Doubling the ram does nothing to increase speed, it just gives you more overhead when using multiple apps. Which sounds like she isnt.

fwiw, my oldest uses a 2007 24" iMac with 3 GB ram and a SSD, works great. Surfing, google docs, itunes, netflix/hulu, etc. Although she uses it far less since getting a 2018 iPad + keyboard case earlier this year...

2018 iPads are gonna be cheap this xmas... might be a good gift. =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 10, 2018 12:54PM
Over the years, SSD drives have made the following run much faster for me:
Titanium Powerbook G4 (IDE SSD)
Aluminum Powerbook G4 (IDE SSD)
PowerMac G4 MDD (SATA SSD with SATA PCI card)
MacBook 2009
MacBook Pro 2008
MSI X58Pro/Intel i7-970

However, it made little difference to an SE/30 (using a CF card with SCSI adapter as the SSD).
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 10, 2018 01:03PM
It made a noticeable difference on a G4/450 Cube so it will also do so on your brand new (relatively) iMac.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 10, 2018 01:08PM
Zoidberg
mattkime
WORTH IT

hal
IT's the ONLY thing you can do to that computer to make it go faster and you WILL notice the difference. It's a no-brainer at $40. Increases umph by about 320%

agree smiley

agree smiley

I did the same upgrade recently for a friend with the same iMac as your friend. The upgrade made a noticeable difference.

It is what it is.
Posted by: JPK
Date: August 10, 2018 01:10PM
THANKS!

I will get my suction cups & pentalobe screwdrivers ready for a weekend project!

JPK
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 10, 2018 01:16PM
do it! Did my MacPro1,1. Shaved 2 mins off start up and got my spouse off the MBA.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Date: August 10, 2018 01:25PM
Fritz
do it! Did my MacPro1,1. Shaved 2 mins off start up and got my spouse off the MBA.

THAT'S GREAT! I hear that MBA is NASTY stuff! Ruined so may lives...
Date: August 10, 2018 01:33PM
JPK
THANKS!
I will get my suction cups & pentalobe screwdrivers ready for a weekend project!
JPK

You can just pry it off with your fingers, its all about breaking the bond with the magnets. start near the camera. Oh, and its torx, not pentalobe. Be carefull when replacing the glass -- magnets are strong and it can snap back onto the case and shatter the glass. And pinch your finger. Suction cups (from the dollar store) can help with this part, but I just use a paint stir stick.

EDIT: you may need to install SMC fan control. I cant remember if the 2009s have the issue with the fan. You could consdiser leaving the current drive in place and using the optical drive connectors? My memory is foggy on that...

----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 01:35PM by jdc.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 10, 2018 01:51PM
what's this obsession with opening up iMacs?

SSD will run just fine externally, even over USB 2 it will be noticeably faster.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 10, 2018 02:11PM
Bill,

You beat me to it. I'd get a lower capacity SSD, i.e. 128GB, throw it into a USB 3 enclosure and use it as the boot drive. Easy peasy. It won't be as fast as having an internal SSD but it'll still be a huge improvement over the internal platter drive. 2.5" USB/firewire enclosures are available but they are _way_ costly in comparison to a USB 3 only enclosure.

Robert
Date: August 10, 2018 02:14PM
Bill in NC

SSD will run just fine externally, even over USB 2 it will be noticeably faster.

because installing directly will be noticeably faster than connecting via USB2. If you want to get everything you can out of this old mac, install the drive internally.
Date: August 10, 2018 02:27PM
Hal,

True except that opening iMacs is amazingly inconvenient. If it's a model that requires a special fan control or heat sensor than it's all the more of a nuisance. That and it's old. Just not worth putting that much time and energy into it. Just my 2 cents.

Robert
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 10, 2018 02:34PM
I just dropped a SSD into a 2010 MacBook on Wednesday. it made a noticeable improvement in speed. Is it blazing fast like a new mac? No, but it is very fast in comparison to what it was.

Worth it to me.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: August 10, 2018 02:45PM
Robert M
Hal,

True except that opening iMacs is amazingly inconvenient. If it's a model that requires a special fan control or heat sensor than it's all the more of a nuisance. That and it's old. Just not worth putting that much time and energy into it. Just my 2 cents.

Robert

"amazingly inconvenient" is subjective. It's quite simple for some. People can decide for themselves if it's inconvenient. If one wants to get the very most they can out of a machine, this is how it's done. It would certainly be worth my time if it was my situation. Maybe it's not worth your time - that's for you to decide.
Date: August 10, 2018 03:05PM
hal
"amazingly inconvenient" is subjective. It's quite simple for some.

I agree. Could easily replace the internal drive in that 2007 iMac above in under 20 minutes.

USB 2 does provide speedup, I have that setup on a 2008 iMac that I havent opened yet... but its not the same as the 2007s speed.

----

Date: August 10, 2018 03:14PM
Hal,

We can both be right on this one as it is 100% dependent on what JPK wants to do with such an old machine. What we would do is only relevant in that we can offer an opinion on the situation. In this case, an external USB 3 with an SSD in it will be dandy once you factor in who is using the machine and the kind of usage.

Robert
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 10, 2018 04:09PM
No USB3 in a 2009 Mac so it's USB2 only. USB2 SSD is noticeably faster in most things than an internal HD, especially if it's original (ie: 9 years old).

I have a USB3 WDBlue 3D SSD which occasionally negotiates only a USB2 connection and it's not slap-you-in-the face slower. Usually after booting up and opening something I go, "Hmmm, I wonder..." when things seem a step slower. Have a look at the link speed in System Information and usually it reads USB2 but not always. For everyday use a USB2 SSD can be quite good until you need to swap memory or load a large file. Not good for VM storage, for instance.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 10, 2018 04:46PM
hal
Bill in NC

because installing directly will be noticeably faster than connecting via USB2. If you want to get everything you can out of this old mac, install the drive internally.

What, is mom running Photoshop on that old C2D iMac?

Web browsing & Office-style applications won't be noticeably slower running from an external SSD over USB 2.0 vs. installing it internally.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 10, 2018 07:17PM
I just put a used SSD in my C2D 2.53 unibody MBP. Boot time went from just under 4 minutes with everything up and running and VPN connected to under a minute.

Became useable again. FWIW, under 10.6.8 and the stock spinner, it took under 2 minutes to boot. Modern OS versions are VERY bloated. Apple is using hardware advancements to mask poor code. They seem to have lost the ability to make sleek fast code.
Date: August 11, 2018 09:20AM
Bil,

My point exactly. To those who can do the swap very quickly, good for you. Most people lack the time, skills, experience and inclination to do the swap. It'll take much more time for a novice or someone who lacks experience. That, and again, factor the age and usage of the machine.

Robert
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 11, 2018 10:35AM
Migrating old crap can show down a good SSD.

This.

Starting here would probably make a noticeable difference.

But since JPK already has the SSD, infall then clean. For my money I'd install everything from fresh, no Migration, if I could possibly help it.

While I'm all for using an external enclosure, if JPK is comfortable opening up the iMac, then an internal install is obviously the best way to go, and no reason not to. That's what I would do, if only I were comfortable opening a Mac. Putting an SSD in my Santa Rosa MB is about the extent of my comfort level.

Yes, internal is faster than a USB drive, by how much I don't know. But it's internal, out of the way, no cable or enclosure to buy or worry about, Mom-in-Law doesn't ever have to think about it one whit. Business as usual.

Just faster.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 296
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015