advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any waterpik users here?
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 10, 2018 03:28PM
I brush and floss, but I was wondering about using a waterpik to help around my crowns.
Do any of you guys use a waterpik and, if so, how do you like it?
Any tips for use or which ones to buy?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any waterpik users here?
Posted by: wave rider
Date: August 10, 2018 03:49PM
I bought a twin pack (home and travel) from Costco recently but have not tried it out. Got it early anticipating the bridge that was installed Monday.

My dentist, a younger fellow, said he is all in favor of power tools. Also said plain water in the reservoir is fine, no need for special solutions.

Will have a better review in a few weeks.

Edit> Think mine is referred to as a waterflosser. Also have been using a Sonicare toothbrush, liking it fine after it quit tickling…

=wr=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 04:05PM by wave rider.
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: August 10, 2018 04:18PM
My hygienist recommended putting a couple of cap fulls of hydrogen peroxide in the tank.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 10, 2018 04:46PM
Been WaterPik'ing seemingly forever. Go for it. My neuro crud makes real flossing impossible (unless somebody else does it for me). Also been getting whatever combo packs Costco sells... did have issues w/ the self-contained travel units, but the big, home units have been fine. Three and half tips for best use;
• Find the highest setting you can tolerate, and when you first start, start low and work your way up every couple of days. After 2 to 3 weeks when you've maxed out, back off about a third to half a setting, and that should be your regular setting thereafter.
• Use medium-warm water; not hot, and not cold.
• Pour a little mouthwash in the tank and swish it around with the first tank of water each use, then use at least another half to a whole tank of water sans mouthwash to finish the chompers.
• Bonus tip; learn how to get the tip at proper angles for all your teeth, for best results... it's gonna be easier fro some teeth than for others, so you'll need to keep practicing in order to maintain proper tip placement throughout your mouth... and best to start practicing right away at lower pressures where you won't make as big of a mess in your bathroom. That way when you work up to higher pressures, they'll be (hopefully) fewer surprises.
Good luck, and enjoy!
==

Edit: per above post, hydrogen peroxide in lieu of mouthwash in the beginning, until your gums are acclimated to waterpik'ing, is a good idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 04:48PM by Buzz.
Posted by: ADent
Date: August 10, 2018 05:20PM
I hate flossing and I think waterpik works better anyway. I throw a capful of mouthwash in - but don't know if I need to.

Dentist recommended it years ago, but now recommends something fancier with ozone or something but still water flosser.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: August 10, 2018 06:21PM
firm believer here - you'll be amazed at how much crud will be blasted out from beneath the gumline by the thing, even after flossing
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 10, 2018 06:35PM
Thanks for all the responses.
I am a little worried that I could dislodge a crown or filling, even though that shouldn’t happen. I may wait till I see my dentist before I get one, but I would really like to try it and see if it would work for me.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 10, 2018 09:29PM
got one last year after the hygienist was after me for years.
hate flossing. don't like the pik, but I do use it.
ebrush made a big diff in my check-ups, I'd guess the wpik will only improve on that, should I start to use it regularly.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Wags
Date: August 10, 2018 09:36PM
Your gums will thank you and it will help you avoid periodontal issues. I wouldn't recommend peroxide but I usually put a little mouth wash in the tank. Brush your teeth first, and then notice how much more the Pik flushed out afterwards. It will not mess with any dental work, unless it's really shoddy dental work. I'm on my second one in 20 years. Pump usually holds up forever as long as you don't let it cavitate after the tank drains, but the hose will spring a leak after a time. You can get replacement hoses from Amazon. Work your way up to full blast.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 10, 2018 10:51PM
My dental hygienist strongly recommended AGAINST using a water pik. She told me it was way too easy to damage the connective tissue which is just below the gum line.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 11, 2018 01:50PM
Check with your dentist, but I want one of these!
[www.walmart.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 01:50PM by Rolando.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 15, 2018 09:01AM
.....what about nosePik.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 216
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020