advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
AS if?!.....Apple gives straight to series order to Isaac Asimov's 'Foundation'.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 23, 2018 11:56AM
.....originally, they were only going to do a pilot but Apple has ordered straight to series.....10 episodes......

Apple Gives Straight to Series Order to Drama Based on Isaac Asimov's 'Foundation' Novels

.....Apple has followed through with plans to create a television series based on Isaac Asimov's famous Foundation novels and has recently given a straight to series order for the show, reports Deadline.

Apple first inked a deal for the TV series adaptation of Foundation back in April, but the show was still in development at that time.

The Foundation TV series is being developed by Skydance, with David S. Goyer and Josh Friedman serving as executive producers and showrunners. Goyer has previously worked on "The Dark Knight," "Batman Begins," Ghost Rider," and more, while Friedman is known for "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" and "Emerald City."

Foundation is Isaac Asimov's most popular and well-known science fiction series, which includes titular novel Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation, along with additional books Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth.

The series follows psychohistory expert and mathematician Hari Seldon who is able to predict the future. Seldon creates a group called the Foundation to preserve humanity's collective knowledge ahead of the impending fall of the Galactic Empire. The novels span many years and cover the rise and fall of multiple empires, making it an ambitious television project.

In addition to the Foundation series, Apple has more than a dozen TV shows in development in total, and rumors have suggested we could see the first of these debut starting in March of 2019. For a full list of what Apple's working on, make sure to check out the original content section of our Apple TV roundup.

goes right to a series.............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2018 11:57AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: AS if?!.....Apple gives straight to series order to Isaac Asimov's 'Foundation'.....
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 23, 2018 12:09PM
I hope this will be at least as good as "Planet of the Apps"
Re: AS if?!.....Apple gives straight to series order to Isaac Asimov's 'Foundation'.....
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 23, 2018 12:39PM
OK, guess I should start reading, or will that ruin it?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 23, 2018 01:25PM
Who knows? I started reading it in junior high and couldn't get past the second book. Wrong time of life, maybe. I picked them up a few years ago and started with the current Future History (Asimov, not Heinlein!) and very much enjoyed the whole series, which encapsulated the Foundation and other books as well. Fun. Lots of material but I simply don't know if it can be translated to the screen well. I believe they will need to make (hopefully minor) alterations to make it work on the screen.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 23, 2018 01:52PM
I hope it's better than the Philip K. Dick Electric Dreams TV series.

That was pretty bad.

I like that Foundation will be a series. That allows for more book to get into the show, unlike a typical movie.

That said, whatever happens in the translation, is anybody's guess.

Obviously, it will be hated by some, and loved by others.

The only important metric for me to consider is— will I enjoy it.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 23, 2018 02:16PM
10 episodes. That could be one or two books, not the whole Trilogy! Foundation and Empire would make two or three good movies by itself!

My then teenage son tried reading my copies ( I bought and read them in the 80s). He gave up. I told him this was a whole different style of writing, very much a period piece. Its a bigger gulf than between the Original Star Trek and the new Movies!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: hal
Date: August 23, 2018 04:20PM
Great stories, but a lot of holes - gonna need to get a GREAT writer to make a live TV series work.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 23, 2018 04:31PM
Great story. But, lots of conversations that last for pages and pages and pages. Also, the original three books don't say much about computers; at least not as we know them today. How will all that be handled?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 23, 2018 05:27PM
"Foundation" is conceptually fascinating, but great fiction it is not.

They'll have to change a lot to get a filmable story. Most of the internal stories are essentially committee meetings, there are only two memorable characters, and one of them is dead after the first story.

But, the TV version of "The Man In The High Castle" is a rare recent example of the adaptation leaving the original in the dust, so who knows.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020