advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
If you had to do it again, what would you spend more/less on?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 02, 2018 07:35PM
I wish I would have bought AAPL when it was at $60 a share but I spread the money to other ventures.

I would have spent less on the bleeding edge of digital camera bodies that are now worth a tiny fraction of what I paid. For instance, the first full truly useable full frame 35mm DSLR was the Canon 1Ds that was $6700. I could have waited and saved a lot of money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2018 07:41PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: If you had to do it again, what would you spend more/less on?
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 02, 2018 07:39PM
I purchase a first gen RedOne 4K camera. Not a good use of $$
Posted by: rz
Date: September 02, 2018 07:55PM
I thought you were asking what we'd spend more or less time on, not money. I'd have spent more time on playing guitar. I was getting really good at it about 25 years ago, before I moved to Florida. Once I got here, I stopped playing until a few years ago, and even now only pick it up on occasion.

For money, I'd probably say I might have spent more money on a bigger house. We bought our current house when we were childless. It was barely big enough then. Add a child, and now we're running out of room. My wife is almost borderline hoarder at this point. We've already added an addition, but there's no place to add any more, unless we enclose the porch. But we love the neighborhood. There are a few bigger homes in our neighborhood, but they're all waterfront property, and the last two have sold for over $1 million. We had a chance to buy a half acre waterfront property when we were looking 15 years ago for $400,000. Now I wish we had bought it.
Posted by: Drew
Date: September 02, 2018 07:57PM
Related topic, but not exactly an answer to the question.

Before my father died, he told my brother and I more than once "Don't spend money on my funeral!". He was a respected business and church leader, so the funeral was attended by a few hundred people. However, he insisted on being buried in the veterans graveyard because it was free. "I gave four years of my life for them in Europe (WWII), they can pay for the hole in the ground!" he said. Also, "Don't spend money on the casket. It's just a box and that's not me in there anyway. Get the cheapest one and save the money for your mother after I'm gone." He was never a cheapskate and an incredibly generous man, he just didn't want us to waste a bunch of money on a funeral that could've been better used elsewhere.

Over the years as I've attended other funerals, I've really appreciated those words of advice.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 02, 2018 08:05PM
rz
I thought you were asking what we'd spend more or less time on, not money.

It can be time, money, effort, whatever.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 02, 2018 08:09PM
Hookers and booze. Really.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 02, 2018 08:17PM
I wish I hadn't sold my Apple stock at $14 in 1984.

Wish we'd paid for a better investment in a home 20 years ago. Others in the area that cost only a little more have increased by a factor or 3 or 4, ours only by 2.

Posted by: testcase
Date: September 02, 2018 08:29PM
I'd spend a LOT less money on "stuff". I was fortunate that, since my mid-twenties, I always had at least a little extra cash on hand which unfortunately, got pissed away on soooooo many items that had little long term value. old fogey smiley

I did cut way back years ago but, when I wanted to sell my house recently, I couldn't believe all the "stuff" that I had to deal with (35+ years worth). MAJOR aggravation that could (and should) have been avoided.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 02, 2018 08:38PM
Speedy

More, or less? ...
Date: September 02, 2018 08:44PM
Lemon Drop
Speedy

More, or less? ...

Yes.

Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 02, 2018 10:42PM
Less on vintage Mac stuff.
Seriously, one SE/30 is enough. A closet-full of them...too much.

More on vintage Mac stuff.
Are two Mac IIfx's really enough? I don't think so.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: September 02, 2018 11:03PM
Spent less on tech related equipment.

Should have invested $3200 in Apple stock instead of buying G3 250 Wallstreet laptop.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 02, 2018 11:39PM
Less on car options. One turned out to be a big waste.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: datbeme
Date: September 03, 2018 02:00AM
Dare I say...I don't really have any regrets either way? Of course I'd like to have 20/20 hindsight on investments I did or didn't make, but that's kind of silly. Pretty happy with the value of most of my purchases over the years. Lord knows I put enough thought into most of the major ones.

I will admit that my wife is more free-wheeling than I'm comfortable with when it comes to vacations. I know better than to push back on this, and I agree that the experiences and memories can be priceless. But I get restless when it comes to these expenditures. It's just the way I'm wired.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 03, 2018 02:51AM
What, no one has said better birth control?
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 03, 2018 06:44AM
I would have spent more on trips to see the world. We're starting to make up for it in the last couple of years and when I retire in May we'll start going a couple of times a year to various places instead of once a year. Our next trip will be to the Baltic to see the Scandinavian countries and St. Petersburg.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: September 03, 2018 08:14AM
Lucky I'm sane after all I've been through

I can't complain but sometimes I still do

Life's been good to me so far
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 03, 2018 10:25AM
I wish I hadn't bought Caribbean island property in 1998. It has turned into a headache to maintain and our dreams of living there are no longer realistic with my wife's medical situation.

Conversely, I wish I started investing earlier in my life

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: davec
Date: September 03, 2018 11:15AM
Good question! My initial thought was about spending more/less time on what was important. To me that was relationships with family and friends. As many of you know, over the last 3+ years I've weathered the deaths of my wife and two other close family members. For quite a while I lived a life full of regrets. I found myself wishing I'd spent more time with each of them. Wished I'd told them, "I love you" more often and paid more attention to the important moments that, at the time, seemed so small and unimportant. I've done a fair job of working past regrets. I can now think back and smile and laugh at many of the wonderful times I shared with my wife, Lorrie, my Dad and my Mom-In-Law. I look back and am grateful. It has taken several years of counseling and support from family and friends to get to where I am and I realize I still have further to go.

On the lighter side, I wish I didn't allow myself to get so easily seduced by "stuff", especially tech stuff. I'm working at doing better at distinguishing between want and need. I've enjoyed the opportunity to travel in the past and, while it may be a bit hard to justify travel as a need, I do plan to do quite a bit more traveling in the future!

Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 03, 2018 12:00PM
More time in the GYM, more time with my wife, more time at church. I would need 36 hour days to get everything done.
Date: September 03, 2018 01:17PM
davec, hang in there.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: September 03, 2018 04:35PM
Shouldn't have bought @home and 3dfx stock. I sold both for penny's on the dollar. About 15 years later, I've made out on Comcast and Nvidia stock
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 03, 2018 05:48PM
Back in 2000, I was working a lot of OT. I didn't have time to spend any dough for fun stuff at that time, so I opened an E*Trade account and started buying AAPL with some of my extra cash. I didn't want to dump everything into AAPL, as it was too scary for this stock market noob. I decided to put some of the cash into paying off my house that I bought in 1999. I doubled up on the payments and had the 7 year mortgage paid off in less than 4 years.

Had I invested the extra house payment in AAPL, I would have been a heck of a lot better off financially.

What's that saying? Hindsight is 20/20?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 03, 2018 09:19PM
Less time brooding/worrying about things, more time counting my blessings and appreciating what I have.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: blooz
Date: September 03, 2018 09:22PM
I would spend less on booze, and less on women who weren't as interested in me as I was in them (not blaming them at all, I was the one who was oblivious). Would have liked to use some of that money to buyt at least one share of Apple stock.
Otherwise, most of the money I spent went to survival and to my kids (child support) and I don't regret any of that. I'm doing all right, my kids love me, and if none of the other things I would like in my life don't come to pass, I still have the best part.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 04, 2018 11:25AM
The key here is more or less, not something you didn't or did do (ie: I never bought AAPL stock). Maybe less internet in the mid to late '90s and my grad career would have been better but the 'net was only part of the problem. Relevant to that I lived apart from my gf and later wife for 7 years from '93-2000 due to circumstances. I'd have loved not being apart for that big chunk of time but if that hadn't happened then, things would be radically different now, which would be bad.

So I wouldn't change a thing. No foolin'.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 252
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018