The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Update: Teak deck chair project
Posted by: DP
Date: September 13, 2018 07:14AM
Re: [forums.macresource.com]

Here's a pic from that post:

As of yesterday, one is done! Taken longer than I've wanted it to. Would like to get some use from them this year, before I put them away for the season, but a lot of life has gotten in the way.

This image shows the finished chair and the second one prepped that I am getting going on today-until something else takes me away from finishing the work, of course:

That's Cible inspecting the polished brass...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Update: Teak deck chair project
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 13, 2018 07:29AM
Wow. They look great!

Posted by: WHiiP
Date: September 13, 2018 07:34AM
smiley-music039 smiley-gen013 hamster dance thumbsup smiley smiley-score010

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: stephen
Date: September 13, 2018 07:36AM
You're making me look bad.

I just cleaned off the ones I inherited. You clearly did some sanding and the like. Maybe you're motivating me to put some more time into them. : )
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: September 13, 2018 08:07AM
looks incrdible DP..sanding only or did you need to concoct a wood cleaner or bleaching agent?
very sWeEt!!

yesterday I tipped a couple of plastic Adirondack chairs forward to drain the puddle from the seat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 08:08AM by Kraniac.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 13, 2018 08:42AM
....did the cat get a makeover......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 13, 2018 09:07AM
GASP! You've destroyed the patina!
Date: September 13, 2018 09:08AM
K-I used an orbital sander starting with 80 to 150 to 220 grit paper. There are some deep splits and cracks in the wood so I knocked them back with the 80. Still didn't get them gone but I'm happy. Used the recommended Westminster Teak Protector and glopped it into the deep cracks and splits.

As a side note, the Teak Protector is sent with an applicator cloth but it has a "squirt" opening in the bottle. Also, the instructions say to mix and stir before applying. How do you stir thru a 2 or 3 mm opening? And then after I mixed it like they do at Lowe's I squeezed it on the cloth but it absorbed right now so there wasn't much to apply to the wood. So I squirted it onto a paint brush and problem solved.

Newt-no, not a physical makeover but Cible could use a personality makeover. That's why we named her Sybil (albeit spelled Cible). We spell it Cible because she's a Mottled Tabby and has a bull's-eye shape on her sides. We found out that the French noun for a "target" or bull's-eye is cible! Since her personality is like a Sybil (although she has gotten better over the years) we had to name her that but with a coincidental spelling.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 09:35AM by DP.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 13, 2018 09:20AM
Beautiful work, AND passed the Cat Scan !
Date: September 13, 2018 09:36AM
cbelt3
Beautiful work, AND passed the Cat Scan !

grinning smiley

Posted by: 3d
Date: September 13, 2018 10:44AM
I've seen YouTube videos of people using pressure washers on teak decks and furniture. Immediate results in seconds. WOW!

Yeah yea,, it's an awful idea. You might damage the teak wood. Blah, blah. It's not an heirloom here, or a $20k teak deck. It's a $10 chair. Put it on the lowest setting to take the majority of the grunge off the $10 chair. Then go over it with fine sandpaper and liquid finishers. Not perfect. But hey, it gets the job done in a fraction of the time. And you get to move on with life.
Date: September 13, 2018 11:17AM
Yes, I did clean them at first with a low pressure power washer that took off the lichen and most of the gray. I used one because the chairs were very damaged from sitting out unprotected over the years in Michigan weather. Looked amazingly better after just the power wash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 11:23AM by DP.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 13, 2018 01:16PM
Kraniac
yesterday I tipped a couple of plastic Adirondack chairs forward to drain the puddle from the seat.

It's the little things. grinning smiley

It is what it is.
Date: September 13, 2018 04:45PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Kraniac

It's the little things. grinning smiley

Truth!

Just got the first coat on the second chair after we had a shower go thru. This after "sunny and warming up" was predicted three days ago!

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 13, 2018 05:33PM
Looks like new now! thumbs up

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 266
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018