advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
bad boys, bad boys, Watcha' gonna' do?!......Apple Watch 4 vs. 3 comparison.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 13, 2018 02:21PM
.....for those looking to compare....

Apple Watch Series 4 vs. Apple Watch Series 3

....The all-new Apple Watch Series 4 is just hours from being available for pre-order, with orders opening on Apple.com at 12:01 a.m. PDT on September 14. If you're still on the fence about jumping to the new generation, this post should help you discern all of the pros and cons between sticking with your Apple Watch Series 3 or going with the upgraded Apple Watch Series 4.

Display

Perhaps the first thing you'll notice about the Series 4 is its bigger display, which is up to 35 percent larger than the Series 3. Specifically comparing the larger 42mm Series 3 and 44mm Series 4 models, the Series 3 has a 740 sq mm display area while the Series 4 has a 977 sq mm display area. This means that the 44mm Series 4's display is 32 percent larger than the 42mm Series 3.

Likewise for the smaller models, the 38mm Series 3 has a 563 sq mm display area, compared to the 40mm Series 4 with a 759 sq mm display area. This results in a 35 percent display size increase between generations. In essence, this means that the Series 4 packs more screen into what is nearly the same package as the Series 3, with slimmer bezels that are somewhat visually similar to the rounded corners of the iPhone X and iPhone XS.

The increased display area also results in increased resolution, with the 44mm Series 4 including 368x448 pixels, compared to 312x390 on the 42mm Series 3. The 40mm Series 4 has 324x394 pixels, while the 38mm Series 3 has 272x340 pixels. Thanks to all of these changes, app icons and fonts are now bigger and easier to read as well.

Case Size

Although the display sizes have been increased, there are minimal changes to the actual size of the cases for Apple Watch Series 4, despite the new measurements. 38mm in Series 3 and prior has become 40mm, and 42mm in Series 3 and prior has become 44mm, with both of these numbers representing the height of the Apple Watch Series 4 case.

This is a change that shouldn't be too noticeable, unless you're comparing the Series 4 with a previous generation model side-by-side. And don't worry about this update affecting your current band collection, as Apple made it clear during yesterday's keynote that all previous Apple Watch bands will fit with the Series 4 case.

Looking at the thinness, Apple Watch Series 4 is just under 1mm slimmer compared to Series 3. Series 4 measures in at 10.7mm thin, compared to 11.4mm thin for Series 3.

Processor

As expected with an Apple update, the Series 4 has received a beefed up processor in the form of the 64-bit dual-core S4 processor.

Apple says that this is up to two times faster than the S3 processor found on the Series 3, enabling the Series 4 to be speedier when opening apps and performing other functions.

Watch Faces

Exclusive to Apple Watch Series 4 are a collection of watch faces that take advantage of the enlarged displays to showcase as many as eight complications.

These complications have been enhanced to be more precise and provide more information, thanks to the increased display area.

There are also a few watch faces that will uniquely react to the edges of the Series 4's display, like Vapor, Liquid Metal, and Fire and Water.

Health

For the first time in a wearable device, you'll be able to take a full ECG reading on Apple Watch Series 4. Using electrodes built into the Digital Crown and a new electrical heart rate sensor in the back crystal, an included ECG app will perform a reading when you touch the Digital Crown and hold it for 30 seconds.

The app can classify if your heart is beating in a normal pattern or if there are signs of Atrial Fibrillation, which could hint at potential health complications. You'll be able to save your ECG recordings in the iOS Health app and create a PDF to share with your doctor. While Apple Watch has always been able to track your heart rate, the ECG app is a major update to Apple's wearable line.

The ECG app will be added to Apple Watch Series 4 later this year, and will only be available to customers in the United States at launch.

Tidbits

Below you'll find a quick list of features that are new and exclusive to Apple Watch Series 4, which are unavailable on Series 3 and prior devices. We've also listed everything that hasn't changed further down, one notable constant being 18-hour battery life.

Changes between Series 3 and Series 4:

Series 4 now includes haptic feedback on the Digital Crown
The black ceramic and sapphire crystal back allows radio waves to easily pass through Series 4 for better cellular service
The speaker on Series 4 is 50 percent louder
Apple has relocated the microphone so that it reduces echo for better sound quality on the receiving end of phone calls
With a new accelerometer and gyroscope, Series 4 can detect if you fall down and ask if emergency services should be alerted
The improved accelerometer can measure up to 32 g-forces, increased from up to 16 g-forces on Series 3
Series 4 has Apple's new W3 wireless chip instead of the previous generation W2
Connectivity improvements also include new Bluetooth 5.0, up from 4.2 on Series 3
Now all models have 16GB storage capacities, instead of just GPS + Cellular on Series 3

No changes between Series 3 and Series 4:

Built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery with an 18-hour battery life
GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, and GZSS
LTE and UMTS on GPS + Cellular models
802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz Wi-Fi
Barometric altimeter
Water resistance up to 50 meters
Optical heart sensor
Ambient light sensor
Force Touch
Display with 1,000 nits brightness
Magnetic charging cable and USB power adapter included

If you're interested, Apple Watch Series 4 pre-orders will kick off at 12:01 a.m. PDT on September 14. Our pre-order post can help you figure out when pre-orders go up for you if you're in a different time zone. We also went hands-on with Apple Watch Series 4 after yesterday's "Gather Round" event, which you can read here.

watch what happens..............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 02:22PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: bad boys, bad boys, Watcha' gonna' do?!......Apple Watch 4 vs. 3 comparison.....
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: September 13, 2018 03:13PM
I heard there was a "I've fallen and can't get up" feature in the new watch...
Re: bad boys, bad boys, Watcha' gonna' do?!......Apple Watch 4 vs. 3 comparison.....
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 13, 2018 03:21PM
Lizabeth
I heard there was a "I've fallen and can't get up" feature in the new watch...

In the keynote, free to watch. [www.apple.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 13, 2018 03:34PM

How is this considered all day battery life? It sure sounds like I need a day watch and a night watch if I want to monitor my sleeping, especially after a year or two of battery cycling.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: Bernie
Date: September 13, 2018 03:44PM
I want to read more about the "I've fallen and can't get up" feature.

Is it a down the road promise or a working feature of the hardware and or IOS.

I would get one for my Mom in a heartbeat.

Will not know until later this month.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: timg
Date: September 13, 2018 04:09PM
Bernie
I want to read more about the "I've fallen and can't get up" feature.

Is it a down the road promise or a working feature of the hardware and or IOS.

I would get one for my Mom in a heartbeat.

Will not know until later this month.

The presentation seemed to indicate it was already a feature and will automatically dial several numbers if you don't get up within a couple minutes.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 13, 2018 04:13PM
Filliam H. Muffman

How is this considered all day battery life? It sure sounds like I need a day watch and a night watch if I want to monitor my sleeping, especially after a year or two of battery cycling.

The Watch charges quickly—you could probably squeeze in an hour or two of charging time before you retire for the evening…
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 13, 2018 04:22PM
Article Accelerator
Filliam H. Muffman

The Watch charges quickly—you could probably squeeze in an hour or two of charging time before you retire for the evening…

18 hour battery life is not all day. Maybe Apple expects people to have wireless charging pads embedded in their forearms?

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: Bernie
Date: September 13, 2018 04:26PM
From the above article
"The ECG app will be added to Apple Watch Series 4 later this year, and will only be available to customers in the United States at launch. "

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: billb
Date: September 13, 2018 04:36PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Article Accelerator
Filliam H. Muffman

18 hour battery life is not all day. Maybe Apple expects people to have wireless charging pads embedded in their forearms?

It takes 1.5 hours to charge to 80%
If you can't take the thing off for what conceivably be less than one hour out of a 24 hour day the Apple Watch is not for you.
Most reasonable people could find the stinking hour needed to charge it back up should it get to that 18 hour and now it is dead and useless point.
A reasonable person could also plan around its "limited" capabilities.
Or go elsewhere.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 13, 2018 04:50PM
18 hours is fine. I don’t plan to sleep with it.
Date: September 13, 2018 04:52PM
I dont carry keys, but if you were the kind of person that coulndt take your watch off, there are these -- says it will charge a watch 2 additional times. "techincally" up to 54 hours of watch time (3 x 18)

[www.amazon.com]

----

Posted by: rz
Date: September 13, 2018 05:35PM
Filliam H. Muffman

I agree. I've never really looked at getting an Apple Watch, but I never realized they have less than a days worth of battery life. Guess they're not for me
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 13, 2018 07:52PM
18 hours battery life includes a fair amount of use.

People who've actually used Apple Watches have routinely got longer running times than Apple based on personal use.

Many people report the Series 3 giving them far more than one day's run time. So your minutes may vary.

I have an S2 which doesn't have the battery life of the Series three. As I don't shower with it, it charges during that time. In the evening, I take it off for a TV program or two, and again it's charged to 100%. I put it on, sleep with it, and charge it again during shower time.

Charging an hour or so, twice every 24 hours means my battery never falls below 50%. I understand such a regimen is arduous for some, but I can handle it.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 13, 2018 08:32PM
my Apple Watch 3 will go 3 day on a single charge with moderate usage.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 13, 2018 08:43PM
....that's what she said......!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 13, 2018 09:10PM
Filliam H. Muffman

How is this considered all day battery life?

The Series 3 battery is an 18-hour battery, but can go 4 days without a recharge when I'm not exercising hard and is down about 30-40% per day with a decent workout. (I sometimes do a vigorous 3hr routine on the weekends that drains it more.)

Tossing it on a charger for a 30-45 minutes while I shower and dress in the morning is usually enough to top it off or bring it close enough to a full charge as to make no practical difference.

So, an 18hr battery is not bad. Isn't great when some Android watches can go a week without a charge, but those things don't do as much as the Apple Watch.

Date: September 13, 2018 11:36PM
rz
I agree. I've never really looked at getting an Apple Watch, but I never realized they have less than a days worth of battery life. Guess they're not for me

I mean, really? If you define a day as "24 hours"? So you pull 18 hour days with no sleep and no access to an outlet to charge? And you sleep with your watch on?

I never realized a Prius wont do 150 MPH, guess they arent for me?

----

Posted by: michaelb
Date: September 14, 2018 08:51AM
the issue of battery life has been extensively discussed and tested over the years. 18 hours is based on some assumption about use, including the use of cellular without a phone and exercising, which includes HR tracking.

Anyway, my experience with a S3 is that I can easily go 2 days without charging. I don't wear it at night, but when I do go to bed it is at 60-70% remaining on most days, and if I don't charge it, it will be at 20-30% after the second day. Many other actual users have similar experience. If I had to go 3-4 days without charging, I could change some settings to reduce battery use and I think that would be relatively easily doable too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2018 08:52AM by michaelb.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 211
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018