advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Range recommendations
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 13, 2018 04:32PM
My 5+year old LG range is driving me nuts. I've replaced the thermistor last year and again this year. Last year it fixed the not reaching and holding temp problem. This go around it didn't work, then it did, now it's back to not working. Suspecting it may be the hidden lower element I find that costs over $100 and I've yet to find a service manual for my particular model. Rather than put more money into it I've been looking around for a new one. I only need the basics, electric. I don't care about convection and do not like self cleaning. Self clean steam option may be ok.

Anyway I'm looking more for brand recommendations than specific models. Costco has a GE that looks interesting. It's more $ than more basic models at Home Depot but their 2 year white glove treatment is worth something.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Range recommendations
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 13, 2018 04:41PM
Whatever you get consider a 5 year warranty. Just for piece of mind. Considering appliances cost over 1-2k
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 13, 2018 06:10PM
Go gas if at all possible.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 13, 2018 06:19PM
Some advice I received from forum member Modelamac....

Sorry. I meant to reply earlier. After installing that Maytage D/W 30 yrs ago, I have had nothing but Whirlpool-made appliances, and have not regretted it. Based on my 23 year appliance repair career, I would still recommend that brand. for the high-end, Sub Zero is probably tops, but you will pay mightily for service if and when it breaks. I am biased towards US brands. LG has in the past, required all parts and service be done through their org. I could not buy LG parts at my local parts store, but had to order them online from one of two places. At that point I always had to ask before setting appointments: "What brand is the unit?", as I refused to even try a repair.

I followed his advice for my son's home and it has worked great so far.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: mstudio
Date: September 13, 2018 06:43PM
We've always had gas ranges until recently. I have been happy with Kenmore and GE. Our new convection Samsung is the total nuts...love it.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 14, 2018 12:49AM
Ombligo
Some advice I received from forum member Modelamac....

Sorry. I meant to reply earlier. After installing that Maytage D/W 30 yrs ago, I have had nothing but Whirlpool-made appliances, and have not regretted it. Based on my 23 year appliance repair career, I would still recommend that brand. for the high-end, Sub Zero is probably tops, but you will pay mightily for service if and when it breaks. I am biased towards US brands. LG has in the past, required all parts and service be done through their org. I could not buy LG parts at my local parts store, but had to order them online from one of two places. At that point I always had to ask before setting appointments: "What brand is the unit?", as I refused to even try a repair.

I followed his advice for my son's home and it has worked great so far.

I have a single data point Whirlpool example. Bought a Whirlpool kitchen fridge in 1996 when I moved into my previous house. In 2005 I moved it into the garage of my current house. It's been operating for 22 years without a failure.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 14, 2018 10:10AM
Pam,

Ignore anything that is said about appliances that are 10 or so years old or older. Nothing is made that way anymore and, as a result, you can't use the info to gauge the longevity of a modern appliance. That said, only a handful of companies make all of the big name brands out there. Whirlpool produces Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchen-Aid, Jenn-air, some Kenmore (for Sears) and more. Electrolux produces Electrolux and Frigidaire. LG makes LG and some Kenmore. Samsung produces Samsung. You get the idea.

GE is no longer a US based company. It was bought by a Chinese company and while US models are still on the market, the future is a bit uncertain. Availibility of parts could become problematic. Same goes for the reliability of new models that are being introduced.

My wife and I are buying a gas-only model from Samsung. Great reviews for Samsung ranges when it comes to performance. Ours is costing just under $1100. Many of the nicer ranges, regardless of brand, have touch controls, electronics and other such items that are expensive to repair/replace. It's one of the reasons that we're getting a 10-year warranty for it.

Consumers is a good place to look for performance ratings. Didn't provide much for reliability. LG, Samsung, and GE come out on top overall. At this point, I suspect reliability is a crap-shoot regardless of brand and another reason to get the warranty.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2018 10:11AM by Robert M.
Date: September 14, 2018 10:33AM
Robert M
Pam,

Ignore anything that is said about appliances that are 10 or so years old or older. Nothing is made that way anymore and, as a result, you can't use the info to gauge the longevity of a modern appliance. That said, only a handful of companies make all of the big name brands out there. Whirlpool produces Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchen-Aid, Jenn-air, some Kenmore (for Sears) and more. Electrolux produces Electrolux and Frigidaire. LG makes LG and some Kenmore. Samsung produces Samsung. You get the idea.

GE is no longer a US based company. It was bought by a Chinese company and while US models are still on the market, the future is a bit uncertain. Availibility of parts could become problematic. Same goes for the reliability of new models that are being introduced.

My wife and I are buying a gas-only model from Samsung. Great reviews for Samsung ranges when it comes to performance. Ours is costing just under $1100. Many of the nicer ranges, regardless of brand, have touch controls, electronics and other such items that are expensive to repair/replace. It's one of the reasons that we're getting a 10-year warranty for it.

Consumers is a good place to look for performance ratings. Didn't provide much for reliability. LG, Samsung, and GE come out on top overall. At this point, I suspect reliability is a crap-shoot regardless of brand and another reason to get the warranty.

Robert

Yeah, they don't make anything like they used to. I was hoping to stay with a US brand. I'd like easier to get parts and service manuals. Didn't know about GE so that was good info. I was scared off of Samsung after hearing so many complaints...maybe about their washers? Costco has a bottom line Whirlpool. Bottom burner is not hidden which makes replacement easier. I don't need convection. Heck I don't want or will use self clean.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 14, 2018 12:52PM
Consumer Reports might have a graph showing the reliability of different brands vs each other.
Date: September 14, 2018 01:24PM
Dennis,

Nopes. Not online, at least. They usually have one, so it's kinda surprising that the chart isn't there.

Robert
Date: September 14, 2018 01:35PM
Pam,

Some reliability info for ranges:

[blog.yaleappliance.com]

[blog.yaleappliance.com]

Hope that helps!

Robert
Date: September 14, 2018 01:55PM
Robert M
Pam,

Some reliability info for ranges:

[blog.yaleappliance.com]

[blog.yaleappliance.com]

Hope that helps!

Robert

Thanks. That at least gives info for the first year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 252
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015