advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Owners of Virginia winery stunned after overnight thief snags almost entire grape harvest
Posted by: DP
Date: September 13, 2018 05:13PM
An illicit nighttime harvest this week stripped Montgomery County’s Firefly Hill Vineyards of almost its entire crop of grapes, co-owner Allison Dunkenberger said Wednesday.

I'm laughing at what her husband said about it:

Her husband, Black Dog Salvage operations director and former Montgomery County School Board member David Dunkenberger, was more forceful in a Facebook post: “To the pieces of cowardly, human scum that came in the night and stole the grapes from my vines,” he wrote. “I want to thank you for proving our society has hit rock bottom. May you die a slow and agonizingly painful death so that when you are writhing in pain someone will be kind enough to offer you a drink of wine so you know for what you suffer.”

Sour grapes...........? (Just had to do a Newt! grinning smiley)

[www.journalnow.com]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Owners of Virginia winery stunned after overnight thief snags almost entire grape harvest
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 13, 2018 05:44PM
I guess this rules out a hungry bear:

"According to the Dunkenbergers, someone — or rather, a knowledgeable team of someones — entered Firefly Hill’s vineyard in the Ironto section of Montgomery County on Monday night and removed 2 to 2½ tons of grapes from 2,500 vines growing on 3½ acres.

The thieves cut them carefully and quickly, Allison Dunkenberger said."

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: Owners of Virginia winery stunned after overnight thief snags almost entire grape harvest
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 13, 2018 05:53PM
....holy, grapes of wrath.....!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Bernie
Date: September 13, 2018 06:48PM
They need to pay their help better.
The ones they stiffed last year.

"“We still can’t wrap our heads around this … We’re just in the grieving process,” Dunkenberger said about the loss of her family’s grapes mere hours before she, her husband, and friends and relatives were to begin trimming the fruit from carefully tended vines."
BS
"Whoever took the grapes had to have been someone who knew something about the winery’s operations — the grapes are not visible from nearby North Fork Road, she noted. But who? “It’s not a cutthroat industry,” Dunkenberger insisted."

So where do you pawn 2 to 2½ tons of grapes.

WashPost

"A bird netting that normally covers the grapes was still in place when Dunkenberger arrived Tuesday morning. He said the thieves apparently removed the netting, cut the grapes, then replaced it. "

That is the clincher. BULL and Bull again. In order to file a loss on your taxes there has to be a police report. They were not insured so there will be no REAL investigation.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: billb
Date: September 13, 2018 07:09PM
You can sell 2.5 tons of grapes for making wine anywhere.
Contact Montgomery County Sheriffs Office with any info to pad their police report.
Picking grapes at night before sunup is common practice i many vineyards. No one would question it.

It's certainly not a new phenomenon: [www.theguardian.com]

I've had my whole orchard of pears wiped out one night and the guy up the street caught the guy stealing from his apple orchard. The guy with the apple orchard - that's his livelyhood.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 07:17PM by billb.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 13, 2018 07:18PM
iirc, the property has been on the market for $1.4 Million since 2016.
ummmm??
wall smiley

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
"I Call Shenanigans!"
-Kyle Broflovski

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 13, 2018 07:20PM
Grape Scott!

It is what it is.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: September 13, 2018 07:31PM
Something smells about this, and it's not the grapes.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 13, 2018 07:38PM
M A V I C
Something smells about this, and it's not the grapes.

Insurance Scam
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 13, 2018 07:41PM
This is a grape caper if I ever heard of one.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 13, 2018 07:48PM
Maybe it was Grape Ape?
Posted by: DP
Date: September 13, 2018 08:17PM
I've had my whole orchard of pears wiped out one night and the guy up the street caught the guy stealing from his apple orchard. The guy with the apple orchard - that's his livelyhood.

I mentioned this in another thread a few weeks back but we had a good 40 lbs of peaches stolen off of our tree in our lot out back. We had picked a few to see how they were progressing and we were just getting ready to harvest the rest. I went out back to do some other stuff and I thought my wife had picked them. Tree clean, nothing on the ground around the tree-except for a couple empty beer cans...

Not our livelyhood but my wife had given some to a couple local food banks last year. That was the plan this year. Next year-armed guards! Not really, but some video cameras maybe.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 13, 2018 08:30PM
What is the a-peel of this type of crime?

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 13, 2018 09:38PM
pRICE cUBE
This is a grape caper if I ever heard of one.

Graper?

It is what it is.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 13, 2018 11:54PM
The Grapes Escape

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: September 14, 2018 03:45AM
Wine is one possibility, but there are others.

Oceanspray 11
Juice on the Loose
Now You Seed Me, Now You Don’t
The Pink Decanther
Lock, Stock and a Whole Bunch of Empty Barrels
Drink Like a Fish Called Wanda

I’m sure there’s more, but enough damage has been ton already.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 14, 2018 09:40AM
I recommend zucchini. No one steals zucchini.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 14, 2018 09:46AM
Acer
I recommend zucchini. No one steals zucchini.

Too big.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 14, 2018 12:30PM
Blankity Blank
Wine is one possibility, but there are others.

Oceanspray 11
Juice on the Loose
Now You Seed Me, Now You Don’t
The Pink Decanther
Lock, Stock and a Whole Bunch of Empty Barrels
Drink Like a Fish Called Wanda

I’m sure there’s more, but enough damage has been ton already.

APPLAUSE!
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 14, 2018 09:15PM
Classic caper/con movie

"The Stem"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 244
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015