advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Florence affectees-report in, if you can-
Posted by: DP
Date: September 14, 2018 06:20AM
News is reporting people still in homes on cell phones (!) looking for rescues! Why are they still in their homes after the tremendous amount of info and warnings broadcast all over TV, radio, social media... I know, I know, it's things like a combination of this and that happened and they couldn't get out. And always the people who think they can ride it out and then panic when it gets bad. But it isn't bad yet!

Police told people to write their names on their arms with a Sharpie if they were staying.

Just reported someone in a trailer park stayed because the storm had been downgraded to a Cat 1 so, no big deal!

Let's hear from you forumites still able to communicate.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Florence affectees-report in, if you can-
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: September 14, 2018 07:43AM
We're in the middle of NC so it's basically going to the south around us. So far we've got a little wind and rain.

Posted by: 3d
Date: September 14, 2018 07:57AM
370,000 people without power.
Don't report in now. Save your batteries.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 14, 2018 09:27AM
Cloudy gray skies here in MD, just like it has been all week.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: September 14, 2018 10:29AM
After Florence's projected southward turn into SC, I decided to evacuate because of potential flooding west of Charleston SC (my house is in a low area, but outside the 100 year flood zone. But better safe than...). Yesterday we drove north on Interstate 95 from central SC through NC and up towards Richmond Va. Surprisingly sparse northbound traffic in SC and NC, often ours was the only northbound vehicle in sight. NC state police were seen in clusters at various points, not monitoring traffic speed but rather seemingly staging for emergencies. I drove at around 79mph (posted speed limit 70), and seldom overtook another vehicle, yet was passed more frequently by vehicles estimated at 85-90mph. Southbound traffic in NC was mostly convoys of pickup trucks with gas jerry cans and lots of chain saws, and electric company utility trucks. Only ran into outer rain bands and mild wind gusts. Ended up at daughter's house in Williamsburg VA after 6.5 hours. Not a bad trip at all.

Hope to return home Monday or Tuesday.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: September 14, 2018 12:36PM
Here in columbia, SC. So far, it’s just grey and muggy. Occasional wind, nothing big. Supposedly we are set to get hit square on by Flo, or what’s left of her, as it comes inland. I have a generator, extra gas, water, flashlights, oil lanterns (I collected them at one point), bread, milk, house insurance, flood insurance, health insurance, and I’m personally broke paying for all of it. Wish me luck!
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: September 15, 2018 06:06PM
Northwest SC - drizzle and an occasional gust of wind; nothing substantial. The average summer storm is far, far worse than this.

However, Accuweather says it will start affecting us overnight and through tomorrow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 302
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015