advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What you used to pay big $ for but now go cheap on because the quality is "good enough"
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 15, 2018 05:49PM
Sunglasses, I finally bought myself a nice set of sunglasses only to lose them 9 months later. Now I buy $10-20 cheapies and several years later still have them in my possession.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What you used to pay big $ for but now go cheap on because the quality is "good enough"
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 15, 2018 05:57PM
Hard drives.

Re: What you used to pay big $ for but now go cheap on because the quality is "good enough"
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 15, 2018 05:59PM
hookers and booze
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 15, 2018 06:00PM
Friends.

Ive always had nice sunglasses. =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 15, 2018 06:04PM
Coffee. Use to get beans @ $7 and up per pound.
Now, ,my daily pot is Chock Full 'O Nuts 'Original';
big can is $6-7 on sale. Currently have a stockpile of
ten cans.

I've been drinking coffee for 60 years and the CFON
taste just great to me coffee smiley

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
"I Call Shenanigans!"
-Kyle Broflovski

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: sekker
Date: September 15, 2018 06:07PM
Cars. I doubt I’ll ever buy a new one again. Our most recent is a 10 year old Toyota. Works fine.
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: September 15, 2018 06:09PM
Computers capable of running the Mac OS.

They're not just "good enough", some make the name brand look downright shameful.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 15, 2018 06:36PM
sekker
Cars. I doubt I’ll ever buy a new one again. Our most recent is a 10 year old Toyota. Works fine.

Depends on the car, and how its taken care of. A 10 year old focus is a POS. Used cars are a huge value these days.

Wifes 2010 Mazda 3 w/100K was just feeling its age. Needed lots of new stuff. Already spent $4K on a transmission not long ago. And just dropped $1800 on brakes/tires/other BS.

Picked up a used 2016 Volvo S60 w/17 for under $18K. $40K new. Looks and drives brand new. identical to the 2018 model.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: September 15, 2018 06:39PM
Velvet

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: September 15, 2018 06:40PM
Velveeta

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 15, 2018 06:40PM
Audio gear ..

In the car I used to do the whole amps, subwoofer, hi-end speakers thing.. Now factory and an old iPhone is just fine to listen to my audiobiooks

At home, it was audiophile gear, and $1500 speakers. now the TV surround sound system is plenty.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2018 06:40PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: Bo
Date: September 15, 2018 06:48PM
iPhones

Used to get new and regular upgrades of just about every version of the generations through the 5. Now I only buy used and from a previous generation. The costs are silly and benefits marginal for my needs
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 15, 2018 06:59PM
Anybody remember those multi-hundred dollar Granite Digital SCSI cables? USB 3 cables from eBay work just great.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 15, 2018 07:02PM
Are you kidding me? Photography.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: September 15, 2018 07:04PM
I go with generic store brands whenever possible.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: September 15, 2018 07:09PM
The more I think about it, I'm not sure if there's anything. Most things I buy are expensive and I use them for a long time. I have a 20 year old North Face jacket, and o have my son my 20+ year old Oakleys.

Maybe Jean's? I used to buy $30 jeans instead of $20 Levi's. But those went to $60 jeans for no apparent reason so I started buying Levi's.

sekker

Seems odd. Just because a car is new doesn't mean it's good or not cheap. I don't cheap out on cars, and I don't buy new.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: September 15, 2018 07:10PM
Oh freaking mobile autocorrect.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 15, 2018 07:13PM
space-time
hookers and booze

Never scrimp on booze.

It is what it is.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 15, 2018 07:22PM
Another - coffee
and PowerMacs, I get by with a mac mini and a bare bones MBA now

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 15, 2018 08:53PM
If there's an 'amazon basics' version I'll usually buy that. otherwise i've had stability in my interests and lifestyle for a while now and I'm generally willing to pay a bit more if I'm going to get use out of something.

Posted by: testcase
Date: September 15, 2018 09:49PM
I got a pair of Ray Ban Aviators in 1980 that I still have. I've always been careful to put them back in theri case when they weren't on my face. old fogey smiley
Posted by: davester
Date: September 16, 2018 01:40AM
N-OS X-tasy!
space-time
hookers and booze

Never scrimp on booze.

Implying that scrimping on hookers is OK? Are you nuts?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 16, 2018 02:39AM
Ramen.

Life is too short to wear cheap sunglasses.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 16, 2018 05:37AM
I need a pc laptop for my work and I bought an expensive laptop once. It was so expensive that when there was a problem I felt obligated to get it repaired for a couple hundred $. Now I buy a pretty-cheap Dell laptop with an Intel processor and treat it as disposable. When it gets wonky, out it goes-that seems to be about every 3 years. The one I'm using right now cost $400 a couple of months ago. This one does have a touch screen because it came that way from Costco. Turns out I like it a lot-that surprised me.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 16, 2018 07:00AM
I used to spend a lot on music, LPs and then CDs. I have pretty much everything I want, and seldom buy anymore. Getting the CDs ripped has also reduced my desire to add to the collection. I still haven’t ripped everything. And I will probably end up digitizing a few LPs that never got released on CD, which is fairly time-consuming. I wish the companies involved would make this stuff available for download in hi-res formats, but I doubt that will happen.

I haven’t bought a new Mac since the autumn of 2002, when I bought my MDD. It’s been all refurbs or eBay since then, and I have nothing more recent than the 2012 vintage. My next Mac is likely to be a used Mac Pro Tower, if the current one goes belly up. However, I will put a sizable (to me) chunk into whatever monitor I get next.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 16, 2018 07:14AM
Won't skimp on sunglasses or shoes. Protecting my eyes and keeping my feet comfortable are much more important than a few dollars. Good sunglasses really are worth the money. Better protection and optical quality.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: September 16, 2018 09:16AM
These..R&D paid for long ago, solid tech.
Date: September 16, 2018 09:34AM
Kraniac

what exactly do you do with those?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 16, 2018 10:13AM
space-time
Kraniac

what exactly do you do with those?

NEVERMIND - WE DO NOT WANT TO KNOW.

and please, NO PICTURES!!!!

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: September 16, 2018 11:34AM
davester
N-OS X-tasy!
space-time
hookers and booze

Never scrimp on booze.

Implying that scrimping on hookers is OK? Are you nuts?
Perhaps he's implying that, as with a car, rather than paying big $$$ for the shiny new model one can get from A to B just as well by employing a slightly older model with a few miles on the odometer at a substantial discount.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Date: September 16, 2018 01:43PM
RAMd®d
Life is too short to wear cheap sunglasses.

And my eyes are too important. My eyes are super sensitive to light — good sunglasses are almost as important to me as oxygen.

I’ve had a pair of expensive sunglasses (Oakley) stolen from me, but I’ve never lost a pair.

It is what it is.
Date: September 16, 2018 02:16PM
ka jowct
I used to spend a lot on music, LPs and then CDs. I have pretty much everything I want, and seldom buy anymore. Getting the CDs ripped has also reduced my desire to add to the collection. I still haven’t ripped everything.

I’m in the opposite camp. I’ve been purchasing CDs since 1985, but the realization that I probably won’t be able to purchase them for much longer struck home with a vengeance recently.

There are a LOT of albums (mostly jazz, blues and old-school C&W) I still want to buy while I can. A few months ago I (finally!) purchased the entire Led Zeppelin catalog. I recently discovered that I LOVE Nancy Wilson and have been purchasing her CDs. The Beatles are probably next — I only own two Beatles CDs! At least I’ll be able to purchase their entire catalog with a single purchase... unless I want both stereo and mono versions, of course.

I have nothing against digital music, but I am a huge proponent of owning a hard copy of the music I purchase. My collection includes CDs I purchased 33 years ago. If I own a CD, I know it will be around until I decide otherwise, not some nameless, faceless person at Apple, Google, Amazon or any other company. CDs are also 100% immune to hard drive failures.

I do digitize my CDs and listen to them in that format. A few years back I ripped my entire collection to Apple Lossless format — since then I rip CDs as soon as I buy them. They are compatible with my iPod Classic in that format; combined with the recent SD card upgrade I made to the iPod, it now has a maximum capacity of 1 TB. I really can bring all my music with me — and in the best sounding format possible.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 16, 2018 03:07PM
I quit using my $100 Wusthof knife and now use a $7 Kiwi Thai knife that I like lots better. And, I quit buying $300 glasses and use the $15 (postpaid) ones from Zenni.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2018 03:08PM by Dennis S.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 16, 2018 03:10PM
....not sunglasses because they are supposed to protect your eyes and the cheapo ones probably don't have UVA and UVB sunglasses.......

.......with Aldi now nearby.......most food products, have given up on 'name brand' unless it is something that you can tell the difference.......

.....for coffee.....no longer get the expensive stuff.....Chock Full O' Nuts or Bustelo is fine (whatever is on sale) but no need to buy the expensive coffee as my palate isn't that sophisticated...........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 16, 2018 03:39PM
The Grim Ninja

They're not just "good enough", some make the name brand look downright shameful.

Yup. This exactly.
Date: September 16, 2018 06:53PM
Will Collier
The Grim Ninja

Yup. This exactly.

but that is mostly for desktops, right? or can you hack portables?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 16, 2018 10:17PM
space-time
Will Collier
The Grim Ninja

Yup. This exactly.

You can, but it is harder to find something where everything works correctly.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Schpark
Date: September 17, 2018 11:01AM
jdc
sekker

Depends on the car, and how its taken care of. A 10 year old focus is a POS. Used cars are a huge value these days.

Wifes 2010 Mazda 3 w/100K was just feeling its age. Needed lots of new stuff. Already spent $4K on a transmission not long ago. And just dropped $1800 on brakes/tires/other BS.

Picked up a used 2016 Volvo S60 w/17 for under $18K. $40K new. Looks and drives brand new. identical to the 2018 model.

I think you have them mixed. My 10 year Focus is a peach with 169,000 and virtually no trouble compared to your Mazda.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: TLB
Date: September 17, 2018 03:51PM
jdc

<soapbox>Beg to differ. Make that 11 or 6 instead of 10 and I might agree with you, but the 2008-2011 Focus are arguably some of the best Ford cars made in quality and durability. I believe 100% Ford-Europe design. How they screwed it up so bad on the design changeover in 2012, I don't know.</soapbox>
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 19, 2018 05:21PM
C(-)ris
space-time
Will Collier
The Grim Ninja

Yup. This exactly.

You can, but it is harder to find something where everything works correctly.

Right. I was very fortunate to find an Acer C720-3605 Chromebook that is mostly OS X-compatible (it's the version with an i3 processor) for $120 thanks to a slightly-damaged screen a couple years back. Replaced the screen ($20, very easy), added a wifi dongle (maybe ten bucks), and I've been using it ever since. Works great, but again, I was fortunate.

They're impossible to find now. The only one currently on eBay is like $870, which is nuts, especially considering you can get a used MBA for under $400.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 253
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015