advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
at least the shipping is free
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 15, 2018 06:45PM
remember Steve Ballmer reacting to the "$500 iPhone"?

[www.youtube.com]

here is the flagship iPhone 2018, max size and capacity and Applecare + theft.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2018 06:46PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: at least the shipping is free
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: September 15, 2018 06:48PM
The other day I saw someone mention that mobile took off bacause phones were cheaper than laptops.

Though I seriously wonder if pricing this high makes people upgrade less frequently, and thus less revenue for Apple.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 15, 2018 07:00PM
my free Androids work just great.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 15, 2018 07:35PM
I can't even bring myself to spend $200 on a phone, no way I'd even remotely consider spending $1800 - not even if it was a laptop

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: September 15, 2018 08:59PM
Ombligo
I can't even bring myself to spend $200 on a phone, no way I'd even remotely consider spending $1800 - not even if it was a laptop

agree smiley
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: September 15, 2018 09:26PM
I like to wait until they fall below the $400 mark before I even start to look at them seriously.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 15, 2018 09:31PM
For a while, my employer subsidized new mobile purchases yearly. I no longer have that and have an iPhone 7 Plus with a bit of a screen blemish. This is going to last me a good long while.

On the other hand, my wife is pretty addicted to her phone and generally abuses them. ....I bet she'd love a new iphone for christmas. but we'd have to find a murder proof case. She's mildly dissatisfied with her Samsung S7 active. It has a line on the screen and the camera sometimes takes pretty terrible photos. Its hard to tell if its a problem with the camera or simply a weakness of the optics.

Come christmas, I will check my bank account and see if we can afford a new iphone for my wife. This is what you did by asking this question.

Once again, my current smart phone will last me until its embarrassingly slow or an employer subsidizes a replacement.

Posted by: sekker
Date: September 15, 2018 09:33PM
I spend a LOT of time using my iPhone, especially when traveling.

I likely COULD go Chromebook plus iPhone - certainly would be better for my workflow than Mac plus Android.

There are some AMAZING $300 Android phones out there for sure. $500 - many are as good as an iPhone 7.

There was a Google Pixel sale recently, almost purchased ($200) just to have a Project Fi phone handy for travel.
Posted by: blooz
Date: September 15, 2018 10:45PM
My team has to use chromebooks at work. We are pretty universally agreed that they are the biggest pieces of poop we have encountered in the computer world. And several of us are PC users, not Mac.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 15, 2018 10:56PM
I think you need to add a few dongles to that shopping bag. Maybe the wireless headphones too. And of course a case.

That should easily push it over $2K.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 16, 2018 02:36AM

Go ahead, click the button.

You know you want to.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2018 02:36AM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: Michael
Date: September 16, 2018 05:51AM
My kid is currently experiencing angst regarding upgrading her 6s. She wants a SX but thinks $1000 is insane. I pointed out that her employer kicks in $200 every 2 years and that her professional life revolves around her phone and that she and her husband really like iPhones. Also, Verizon is apparently reducing the price by $300 each if you buy 2. And she dropped her 6s and cracked the screen in the corner. Also, she wants the SX because of the photo capabilities that she's convinced will allow her to not upgrade her camera. I pointed out that Tmobile will surely do a BOGO if she can wait a few months. But, her husband will only use Verizon or ATT since he thinks Tmobile is marginal where his parents live. I think they'll buy 2 SX's and net them out at $1200 after her employer match and the Verizon discount. Me, I'm waiting for Tmobile's BOGO deal that will be coming up at some point. Then I'll probably buy a couple of SX's, as well. If I do that, those will be the first new iPhones we will have ever owned. We will have to hold them and see if the size is tolerable.
Posted by: DP
Date: September 16, 2018 06:25AM
Michael-does the husband know for sure if the Mobile signal is marginal? TMobile uses some cell towers from other providers. I just joined TM following another forumite's post a few weeks ago and got a great deal including TM buying my old phone for what I owed on it (from AT&T) and getting a new Samsung S8 for $200.

The real test was Up North at our cottage and it was no problem as TM uses AT&T towers up there...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 16, 2018 07:11AM
DP
Michael-does the husband know for sure if the Mobile signal is marginal? TMobile uses some cell towers from other providers. I just joined TM following another forumite's post a few weeks ago and got a great deal including TM buying my old phone for what I owed on it (from AT&T) and getting a new Samsung S8 for $200.

The real test was Up North at our cottage and it was no problem as TM uses AT&T towers up there...

Did this change in the last few years? My company used to use Tmobile. I went a lot of places that my personal iPhone on ATT had great service, but my company phone had none.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 16, 2018 08:32AM
I would never, ever spend that much on a phone. And I have liked my iPhones a lot. I hope I can get a refurb 8 in a couple of years when it’s time to upgrade from the current 7.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 16, 2018 05:22PM
Ombligo

No kidding.

My Moto G5 (4GB memory, 64GB storage, 5.2" screen) was under $200 new.
In Apple's defense...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 17, 2018 02:03PM
...not that they need it, that configuration isn't for everybody, and Apple know it.

I do wish they wouldn't put a such a premium on every line item, but they do.

There's no way I'd pay that much money for a phone.

Like I could actually make use of 512G of 'Phone storage.

And the sales tax of just under $150 would be enough to dissuade me.

My main gripe is Apple's moving to larger and larger 'Phones and dropping the SE. Even the 7 is larger than I care for. Put it in even a slightly protective case and it's no longer front pants pocket friendly, not that it was, for me, to start with.

I'd like to think Apple will put the SE2 on the site in a few months, but it's not expected.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: In Apple's defense...
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 17, 2018 08:05PM
I would love an SE2. I already love SEx
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 17, 2018 09:12PM
The 6s+, 7+, 8+ size is just about perfect. The LG V series is perfect size. I have a 6" ZTE that is excellent for GPS'ing and watching video stuff, but a tad too big for general use (without a sherpa). Gonna be interesting to see how the new iP's shake out.
Damn pricey for now, though.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 171
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018