advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amazon Prime
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: September 16, 2018 08:46AM
When trying to order something from Amazon yesterday I noticed that the guaranteed delivery date was September 24th, 9 days after the order, even though it was a Prime item. Maybe I've missed something but Prime is (was) typically 2 days for delivery. I then looked at several other items and they had the same delivery date (September 24th). I've never seen this before with Prime items. Has anyone else observed this or have I missed an announcement about a change in Prime delivery schedules?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amazon Prime
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 16, 2018 08:56AM
Prime delivery ain’t what it used to be.
Posted by: bik
Date: September 16, 2018 08:59AM
Into, or possibly out of, the Carolinas?
Posted by: datbeme
Date: September 16, 2018 09:02AM
It's not always what it used to be, but there must be some fine print that explains the nine days. Are you sure the item isn't backordered or contingent upon some other condition? Not trying to cut them too much slack as they need to live up to their promises, but they still almost always meet the two days for me unless it's stated otherwise.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: September 16, 2018 09:16AM
Capitalizing on the storm to save some money.
FedEx issues an alert for the Carolinas and Amazon drops Prime in that half of the United States.
I think this could be the year to drop Prime.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: PeterW
Date: September 16, 2018 09:20AM
Well, hurry up and do so. Prime is expected to grow 100% over the next 10 years, so they’ll need your spot pretty quick.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 16, 2018 09:23AM
SHipping seems to be fine but order processing just doesn't happen for days sometimes.
I've been getting UPS for shipping all the time lately. No hand-offs to the post office.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: September 16, 2018 09:25AM
I though about the storm as a possible explanation but nothing on the Amazon web site said anything about it. In fact every thing I looked at had the earliest delivery date as September 24th which would tend to indicate that it might be storm related. I wonder if it's different out West. If this is the new norm then the $120 a year for Prime is not that attractive anymore.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 16, 2018 09:37AM
link?

I have a SD card on order, Amazon sells for for $30 but it is out of stock, other sellers take advantage and jacked up the price for $42. So I can wait a few weeks to save something, especially since I need 2 of them and the need for these is not time sensitive.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 16, 2018 09:52AM
MindMeld
When trying to order something from Amazon yesterday I noticed that the guaranteed delivery date was September 24th, 9 days after the order, even though it was a Prime item. Maybe I've missed something but Prime is (was) typically 2 days for delivery. I then looked at several other items and they had the same delivery date (September 24th). I've never seen this before with Prime items. Has anyone else observed this or have I missed an announcement about a change in Prime delivery schedules?

I posted about this.

Prime deliveries were available on the 19th and later for me, a few on the 24th. Nothing sooner. (And this was days ago.)

Ordered anyway and I got most of it yesterday. Remaining items are listed as shipped, due on Sept 24th, however, tracking shows that they arrived at the local delivery-center yesterday. It'll be interesting to see whether I get them on Monday.

...So, they're factoring in storm delays, but with the storm damage limited to (mostly) coastal flooding, they are getting at least some items delivered more quickly.

Date: September 16, 2018 09:53AM
Here's a link to some Amazon Basics 9V batteries: [smile.amazon.com]

I selected one-time delivery and it shows "Free Delivery by Monday Sept 24." Clicking on the "Details" link showed nothing about storm related delays.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 16, 2018 09:58AM
I could get it today if I were to spent $35, otherwise “Guaranteed“ Sept 18.

Edit: central NJ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2018 09:59AM by space-time.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 16, 2018 10:01AM
I just looked at a number of items in my wish list, everything was showing two days (or one day) delivery with Prime. The nearest two Amazon warehouses are just south of me in Florida (Tampa and Davenport). Those would be unaffected by the storm or Fedex issues.

I think your issue is the weather.

Further Prime offers two days shipping - not two days delivery. If an item is delayed before it is shipped, then that time does not count. That stipulation was in the small print of the Prime terms & conditions a few years back. I would guess it is still there.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: September 16, 2018 10:07AM
Sarcany, I guess I missed your post (sorry). Your experience might shed some light on the situation. I called Amazon customer service about the delivery date issue and spent about 20-25 minutes on the phone with a nice lady. However, I had considerable difficulty understanding everything she was saying due to her accent. Somewhere in our conversation I think she said something about September the 18th. Maybe she had information indicating that in this instance the delivery would be earlier than shown on their web site. I think I may go ahead and order the item I wanted (it's for my brother-in-law) and see how it shakes out. BTW, I live in Western NC and we are getting some of the minor fallout of Florence.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 16, 2018 12:18PM
MindMeld

I selected one-time delivery and it shows "Free Delivery by Monday Sept 24." Clicking on the "Details" link showed nothing about storm related delays.

I get free same-day delivery for that item you linked. I live in Seattle.

"Prime" service does not mean that every item Amazon sells is available to every address in two days. It just means you don't pay for two-day shipping, when it's available. If shipping and other benefits would cost you less without Prime, then of course it's not a good deal for you.

I have friends living in Asheville who love Amazon and get great service, and also sometimes use Amazon locker there. You may be in a more remote area.

I hope Florence moves out quickly, stay safe.

Shipping Benefits and Eligible Purchases
Prime shipping benefits depend upon inventory availability, order deadlines, and in some cases the shipping address. They are limited to certain products sold by Amazon.com (or third-party sellers participating in Prime) on the Amazon.com website and to certain products on third-party websites that offer Prime shipping benefits. Products eligible for Prime will be designated as such on their product pages. Some special product, order, handling fees, and/or taxes may still apply to eligible purchases. If only some items in your order are eligible for Prime, you will pay applicable shipping charges for the ineligible items. Changing or combining orders, or changing your shipping address, speed, or preferences might affect Prime eligibility. Certain purchases may only be entitled to Standard Shipping because of their size, weight, and other shipping characteristics.

We may exclude products with special shipping characteristics at our discretion. The Prime section of our Help pages provides information about eligible items, shipping cost, shipping speed, and shipping destinations.

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 16, 2018 12:20PM
MindMeld

MindMeld
BTW, I live in Western NC and we are getting some of the minor fallout of Florence.

You mean the state they are telling people not to drive to? To drive around? Do they really need to indicate storm delays? Seems obvious?

3000 miles away from the storm... I can get those batteries in one day.

I read these posts and have a hard time digesting placing all the blame on Amazon for things not actually in their control. Stock quantities, Mother nature or 3rd party shipping delays -- not directly Amazons fault.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 16, 2018 04:44PM
MindMeld

Sometimes prime because the shipment comes from a foreign country isn’t 2 days. I have no beef with Amz delivery.
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: September 16, 2018 09:04PM
I have been a Prime member since the beginning and I am ashamed to admit to how many orders I have placed since then. I can probably count on one hand the number of orders that have been late and even then it was only a day or two. Most of those were due to either UPS or USPS issues. I would also receive a email from Amazon telling me my package would be late. The one time it was really late I called and got my 3 month Prime extension. I also often receive items the next day with Prime. I don't know if it is luck, location or the fact that I buy so much from Amazon they want to keep me happysmiling smiley
Posted by: datbeme
Date: September 16, 2018 09:47PM
Says FREE One-Day for me. Chicago area.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: September 17, 2018 08:23AM
Prime, orderd Saturday morning, 09/15. Promised Monday, 09/17. Delivered Sunday, 09/16, earlyish evening.

West coast.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 17, 2018 01:49PM
I think Prime has changed over the years as more people have signed up.

For me, when I first signed on, it was always two day, free, for a Prime eligible product, which seemed like almost anything, except my 2007 iMac.

Now, AMZ is being more careful about what's Prime eligible, their delivery standards for it ('by 8;00PM'), and a delivery date.

Many of the items I order get a range, others get a guaranteed delivery date. I only recently started paying attention to the delivery options and delivery date. One item took longer than they said it would, and I was a little concerned. Now I've learned (here) that a default in the guaranteed delivery date might get me an extension in Prime membership!

As long as I get a product when or earlier than they tell me, I'm good. I've got no beef with Prime either.

(I see what you did there, sam! LOL)

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 17, 2018 07:01PM
Quick update: Stuff scheduled for the 24th arrived today.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 17, 2018 09:32PM
Lemon Drop
"Prime" service does not mean that every item Amazon sells is available to every address in two days.

It seems like a long time ago it meant exactly that. But...

RAMd®d
I think Prime has changed over the years as more people have signed up.

For me, when I first signed on, it was always two day, free, for a Prime eligible product, which seemed like almost anything, except my 2007 iMac.

Now, AMZ is being more careful about what's Prime eligible, their delivery standards for it ('by 8;00PM'), and a delivery date.

Many of the items I order get a range, others get a guaranteed delivery date. I only recently started paying attention to the delivery options and delivery date. One item took longer than they said it would, and I was a little concerned. Now I've learned (here) that a default in the guaranteed delivery date might get me an extension in Prime membership!

As long as I get a product when or earlier than they tell me, I'm good. I've got no beef with Prime either.

(I see what you did there, sam! LOL)

agree smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 230
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018