advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best cheap BYOP plan for older Verizon phone?
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 19, 2018 12:03PM
Grandma has a little used LG flip phone that Grandpa says Verizon charges him too much for its service. But they both want her to still have the phone (and preferably the same number). Currently no SIM.

Do you folks have a preferred BYOP provider for this (Verizon CDMA)? We’re hoping for $10 a month or less.

Think I’ll just talk to them at Best Buy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best cheap BYOP plan for older Verizon phone?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 19, 2018 12:31PM
I just paid for my father in law's phone. It was easier than worrying about him and driving 200 miles every few days.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 19, 2018 12:34PM
[www.pagepluscellular.com]

$10 every 120 days. I have my mom on this with an old Verizon flip phone.
I think you can still activate an old flip on this plan.

You might have to scroll down and click on the 3G plans to see it, if it is a really old phone, like my mom's.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2018 12:35PM by rgG.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 19, 2018 12:47PM
rgG

$10 every 120 days. I have my mom on this with an old Verizon flip phone.
I think you can still activate an old flip on this plan.

You might have to scroll down and click on the 3G plans to see it, if it is a really old phone, like my mom's.

Definitely this for a flip phone. Our flip phone we send with the kids to practice, etc., has been on this for years.

Important, though, is that you have to manually renew; they don't offer automatic renewal for the 120 day scheme. If you fail to renew, you lose all banked minutes.
Posted by: 3d
Date: September 19, 2018 12:50PM
cbelt3
I just paid for my father in law's phone. It was easier than worrying about him and driving 200 miles every few days.

I did this for my 70yo mom. Before she had a cell phone she would nag about it being too expensive and she doesn't need one. It's too much trouble. Waste of money. etc...

I just paid for it on my account and made up a story about it being a special promotion and if she didn't take it and use it, it'll just sit in my desk drawer unused, so she might as well take it.

She uses it almost every day calling her friends while out shopping. Asking them if they need <insert vegetable here> because she's at the market and it is on sale and fresh.

thumbs up
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: September 19, 2018 12:57PM
Can I hitchhike on this thread? My husband has a simple Verizon non-prepaid flipphone and is a VERY low end user. He uses it as a phone only, no photos, no text, etc. The hinges are letting go and he'll need a new phone soon. That would cost $180 from Verizon and not much less on eBay or somewhere else! WTF? Verizon won't activate a phone even for an existing user that is less than 4g (current one is 3G) and they are picky about which phones they will accept even if they are Verizon locked phones. His current phone has no SIM. He would prefer one of the rugged models and there aren't many. He's hard on his stuff.

He pays about $42 a month total for his service. He uses the phone maybe 150-200 minutes a month, mostly local calls. He is a government employee. I can't believe we can't get a better deal for such a barebones phone. Verizon said there are no more contracts nor any deals.

He wants to keep his phone number and we have had trouble with signal on other carriers.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 19, 2018 01:43PM
RecipeForDisaster
Can I hitchhike on this thread? My husband has a simple Verizon non-prepaid flipphone and is a VERY low end user. He uses it as a phone only, no photos, no text, etc. The hinges are letting go and he'll need a new phone soon. That would cost $180 from Verizon and not much less on eBay or somewhere else! WTF? Verizon won't activate a phone even for an existing user that is less than 4g (current one is 3G) and they are picky about which phones they will accept even if they are Verizon locked phones. His current phone has no SIM. He would prefer one of the rugged models and there aren't many. He's hard on his stuff.

He pays about $42 a month total for his service. He uses the phone maybe 150-200 minutes a month, mostly local calls. He is a government employee. I can't believe we can't get a better deal for such a barebones phone. Verizon said there are no more contracts nor any deals.

He wants to keep his phone number and we have had trouble with signal on other carriers.

Port out to Page Plus (they have phones for sale on their website, or buy used off eBay)

Their "The $12" plan includes 500 minutes/500 texts/100MB of 3G data per month.

(IIRC, the above plan is $10/month with auto-pay)

EDIT: looks like their website is currently down for some reason.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2018 01:50PM by Bill in NC.
Date: September 19, 2018 02:18PM
Sounds awesome. I have no problem getting a used phone, I just worry about buying one and finding that they won't accept it due to issues with upgrading the network and stuff.

How would I know if I have decent service where I need it to work?
Date: September 19, 2018 02:20PM
This one?
[www.pageplusdirect.com]
Looks tricky to stay away from the prepaid plans... would love to see the $10 option for auto Pay!
Date: September 19, 2018 02:35PM
Scroll to the bottom of the pages, and you'll see choices for $x for xx minutes a la carte, and the expiration is 120 days.

There were third-party services that would re-up for you, for a service fee. I don't know if they still exist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2018 02:37PM by Acer.
Date: September 19, 2018 02:36PM
Not sure but I think I'd shy away from prepaid for him. For me it works great-I use like 10 minutes a year...
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 19, 2018 03:32PM
Do either of you have Comcast Xfinity? If so, I think minutes and text are free and data is $12/month per gig. Turn cellular data off.
Date: September 19, 2018 03:56PM
No cable or TV service at all here. Cox internet.
Date: September 19, 2018 03:57PM
RecipeForDisaster
This one?
[www.pageplusdirect.com]
Looks tricky to stay away from the prepaid plans... would love to see the $10 option for auto Pay!

That's a reseller.

Go directly to [www.pagepluscellular.com]

Their cheapest phone:

Even the monthly plans are prepaid...and "The $12" monthly plan is discounted to $10/month if you sign up for auto-pay.

As for "decent service" Page Plus operates on Verizon's network.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2018 04:00PM by Bill in NC.
Date: September 19, 2018 04:47PM
Wow, thanks! It's perfect that they use Verizon's network. I knew I could count on this forum for the right answers!

Any drawback to prepaid if they reload it for you with Autopay?
Date: September 20, 2018 08:28AM
I didn't notice it was a reseller link in Recipie's post I replied to. Thanks for catching that, Bernie.

Just to point out again where the pay-as-you-go 120-day expiration cards are, go to this page [www.pagepluscellular.com] and scroll down to the pay-as-you-go section.
Date: September 20, 2018 08:39AM
I think my mom is also going to switch to PP. I haven't found a good lead on phones they will accept unless a refurb or used flip phone really does cost $80-$100. The autopay program sounds best for Mr. RFD.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 20, 2018 10:13AM
The $12/$10 (pre-tax, of course) plan has 100MB LTE data, with basically is nothing.

What happens after that? 2G speeds?

Even the $30/$27 plan at approximately four times a year seems like a way to break att's ties. I know of only one location where VZW does not work for me without a divining rod.

T-Mobile works great at home, but I don't about out and about. I'll have to turn off Cellular Data and do some checking.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: September 20, 2018 01:05PM
RAMd®d
The $12/$10 (pre-tax, of course) plan has 100MB LTE data, with basically is nothing.

Did you read their post?

Their spouse isn't using data at all.

I recommended the monthly plan over pay-per-minute because that way hubby knows they have 500 minutes every month for their $10 (+ tax)
Date: September 20, 2018 01:55PM
Did you read their post?

Their spouse isn't using data at all.

Yes, I did. Not only did I read the post, I read the chart and saw the plans. Apparently you didn't read mine, at least all the way through.

The post also may have mentioned flip phones. I don't have a flip phone. So why did I pose/post the questions?

I wasn't asking for RFD or her husband. I was asking for me, wondering how cheap I could get. Something between the 12/10 and 30/27 would likely be perfect, but doesn't exist.

So my questions remain:

And I'll add:

Is there no data after 100MB?

Again, I'm asking about the 12/10 plan.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: September 20, 2018 02:09PM
So I called PP.

No data after 100MB is use, until the next month.

He also said I couldn't bring my att SE to PP because it has to be a VZW Plus phone or something like that.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: September 21, 2018 11:01AM
RAMd®d
So I called PP.

No data after 100MB is use, until the next month.

He also said I couldn't bring my att SE to PP because it has to be a VZW Plus phone or something like that.

Yes, Verizon stopped allowing any new activations of 3G phones as of June 30, IIRC.
Date: September 21, 2018 12:51PM
Do you think any Page Plus 4g phone will do, or does it need to be LTE or anything else? Not too many options meet that criteria and are durable-ish flip phones.
Date: September 24, 2018 01:07PM
RecipeForDisaster
Do you think any Page Plus 4g phone will do, or does it need to be LTE or anything else? Not too many options meet that criteria and are durable-ish flip phones.

[www.howardforums.com]

Might check the above forum for recommendations for flip phones that can be registered on Page Plus.

Though, IIRC, there's aren't a whole lot of options.
Date: September 25, 2018 05:12AM
Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm not happy that the forum is now blocked at work sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 212
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020