advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhone Comments/Advice
Posted by: maco
Date: September 20, 2018 07:57PM
I still have my iPhone 5S with the original battery. I was waiting for the recent announcements, before I decided what to upgrade to. I only use my phone for basic stuff, taking photos, e-mail & surfing the web. This phone is fast enough for most things that I do. I don't care about impressing anyone with my phone.

I do want more storage than the 32GB that I have, and a better camera.

I'm thinking that my best bet right now is a refurb 7 Plus 128GB from apple = $569.00.

I can be rough on my phone at times, even with a case, repairs are so much more affordable on these phones. I do have big hands, the size is not awkward for me. I am somewhat frugal, and I can't see any reason to spend more than this.

What do you think?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhone Comments/Advice
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 20, 2018 08:01PM
I absolutely love wireless charging.

Any chance at a refurbished iPhone 8?
Posted by: maco
Date: September 20, 2018 08:06PM
sekker

So far, they haven't been on the Apple refurb page. I've never used wireless charging, so I don't know what I am missing.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 20, 2018 10:57PM
maco
sekker

So far, they haven't been on the Apple refurb page. I've never used wireless charging, so I don't know what I am missing.

Missing less than you might think. A case of any useful thickness or a metal plate to stick to a magnetic mount in a car will prevent it from charging wirelessly.

Posted by: sekker
Date: September 20, 2018 11:22PM
Sarcany
maco
sekker

Missing less than you might think. A case of any useful thickness or a metal plate to stick to a magnetic mount in a car will prevent it from charging wirelessly.

I have great cases that work well for wireless charging. And my car has a super simple wireless mount that holds my phone when I use it as a GPS and charges it at the same time. Easiest install I've ever had to use a phone in a car (bluetooth connection to audio).

But I'm sure the 7 will serve you well.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 21, 2018 12:21AM
I have heard others rave about wireless charging as well. A few $10 pucks around the house and office and its never not charging.

Although, that also depends on use. Great for those that use a lot of battery, maybe less so for you.

My 14 year old daughter can only go one day on here iPhone 6. Spotify, IG, snapchat, messaging, web, phone, video, etc, etc all dang day.

I can go 3 days on my SE. Id say 99% of its use is calls and texts. No games, no email, no photos and little web surfing. Music and maps every once in a great while.

I opted for more storage on my SE, but it was a waste of money. You might want to check and see what your current usage is. Maybe 32 GB is plenty? I sprung for the 64 GB model, and 2 years later Im at 18 GB. Pfft Could saved and got 32.

and LOL, dont worry about the impressing part. all of my oldest daughters friends have better phones than you... at 13. two of them even got an X last year.

Cell phones are like tattoos -- 25 years ago they used to be cool, and you might impress someone, or be "unique" if you had one. Now everyone has one -- cell phones and tattoos -- and both have become "pedestrian" at best.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 21, 2018 12:33AM
My FIL loves his 7 plus. He has it in a life proof case. My wife has a 6S Plus in a TPU case and just dropped it on the screen cracking the “bomb proof” glass screen projector in multiple spots. My point, bigger phones don’t have hardware issues so far. iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 have tech bulletins for flaws. My 7 is currently getting serviced at Apple for “no service” problem.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 21, 2018 05:09AM
A lot of good cases won't prevent wireless charging.

Keep the magnetic plate at the bottom or top of the case and it'll still charge.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 21, 2018 08:18AM
I bought a refurb 7 this spring, and am very happy with it. I was upgrading from a 3-year-old 64GB 6. I went with 256GB because I wanted to have a lot more music on it. No regrets, except that the price of that phone just dropped $100.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 21, 2018 08:21AM
.....so did my expectations.....dropped immensely.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 21, 2018 01:39PM
Why would anyone want a $500 has been iPhone when they could pay up to 3 times more and get the real deal?

Just don't get it. Does anyone?dunno smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 212
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018