advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
2 iPhone SE with poor battery life. User or Coincidence?
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 23, 2018 07:41AM
Our friends, both teachers, had some Samsung phones (ATT Prepaid) and they were not very happy with the camera. when they found out that they could get iPhone SE from BestBuy for $199 they jumped on it. Yes, they missed the $150 or even $140 deals.

That was some time ago. I noticed a while ago that I can no longer make facetime calls or send iMessages to them. I assume they somehow turned iMessages and Facetime off.

Last night I called and asked what's going on. They said they returned the iPhone SE since battery life was very poor. Both of them said the battery lasted less than one day, even when they were in school and barely using the phone during the day, still the battery was very poor compared to Samsung. So they returned the phones to BB and went back to Samsung.

I don't get this. we have 2 iPhone SE and the battery will easily last the full day even with Pandora streaming for 2 hours. I just did that yesterday as I was painting something. Normally without streaming music the battery will last longer than one day. Wife rarely charges the phone full, she usually plugs it in a during breakfast to take it from 30% to 80% and then she goes to work. Maybe she tops it off once in a while but she rarely runs out of power.

I am not sure what happened to our friends. Maybe they had an App draining the battery, or maybe they got a bad batch?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 2 iPhone SE with poor battery life. User or Coincidence?
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 23, 2018 08:14AM
I'm happy with battery life on my SE, but I do have battery and data choices on a pretty strict diet.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 23, 2018 08:18AM
My SE battery will last a day easily, usually 2 if I forget to charge. I'll bet they had an app running continuously in the background.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 23, 2018 10:16AM
space-time
I am not sure what happened to our friends. Maybe they had an App draining the battery...

One of the first things to do with a new iPhone set up from scratch: Disable "background app refresh."

Some apps -- notably Facebook -- will suck your battery dry like a hungry battery-vampire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2018 10:19AM by Sarcany.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 23, 2018 10:16AM
If they have poor network coverage, battery life suffers. Could have turned on WiFi calling to help a bit.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: September 23, 2018 10:42AM
Settings>Battery > Low Power mode is a help also
Posted by: zachdog
Date: September 23, 2018 11:54AM
The school where I taught was a cell phone cave. My battery would die before the end of the day because the network coverage was so bad. Low power mode is the best way to help, in addition to turning on Wi-Fi calling.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: September 23, 2018 12:14PM
My wife (who just upgraded from a 5S to an SE) and I both get 2 days per charge on our SE's. We don't leave Facebook or Google maps running all the time. The Disney and Universal Theme park apps use GPS tracking - these can also kill the battery quicker, though no problem getting thru 1 day.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: September 23, 2018 03:14PM
If I don't use it much, my SE battery will easily last 2 days. Even with fairly heavy use it still lasts a full day.

Athens, OH
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 23, 2018 04:27PM
There's a laundry list of a lot of things things to turn off that are on by default from a new install.

Apple has them On as default to make the average user experience seamless, But that takes a toll on battery life.

I go through these and turn off what I won't use:

WiFi Assist - Off
Background App Refresh - edit
Location Services - edit
Cellular Data - edit
Automatic Downloads - Off

Apps have options for using Location Services, and all apps don't have all options:

Never - several apps get this
Only while app is open - several apps get this
Always - only a couple apps I need are allowed this setting.

So may apps don't need LS on at all to give you their advertised function, so I choose Never or dump the App.

I don't remember how I did it, but I somehow used Reminders and geofencing to turn WiFi Off when I leave home and On when I return. There's a radius in which there's no effect; cross the perimeter and it takes effect. This eliminates searching for WiFi and save juice.

Tailoring iOS functionality goes far to extending battery life. But I still charge daily as I don't let my battery fall below 50% if I can help it.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 23, 2018 05:19PM
I get about two days of routine use out of my SE. By third day I'm running very lean and have to be very careful. I do periodically review any background apps.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 23, 2018 09:29PM
Sheesh. Looking at the battery life on my 5s, I long for the old days on my flip phone, when it seemed I could go for a week or more on standby.

Posted by: space-time
Date: September 24, 2018 06:05AM
for those suggesting WiFi calling, first they are on ATT Prepaid, which does not support WiFi calling (only post-paid plans do), and even then, the school WiFi system might be unreliable at times. They have a toddler in daycare and need to have a reliable cell phone.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 24, 2018 08:17AM
....it may be poor in battery.....but rich in spirit......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 16, 2018 08:52AM
.....my iPhone SE was fine......now after having for about 2 years the battery is draining quickly....

.....used to be able to use for weekend with no charge and still have about 70-80%......now have 50-60%.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 351
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018