advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Used car advice? . . .
Posted by: mspace
Date: October 05, 2018 12:23PM
We bought our trusty 1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon in 2004. The engine still runs well, but the body is starting to convince us to move on. We don't drive a lot, living in NYC, but it's needed for moving music equipment to gigs, etc.

At the time we got it, we wouldn't get a used car older that 5-6 years. Of course prices have gone up since then. With improvements made in cars, is that still a good rule of thumb? Is it now reasonable to consider a 10 year old car?

Also, for Subaru aficionados (this is our third one), I don't think the Legacy Wagon is available in the US anymore. Any recommendations for something with similar back-end space? Think fitting in an 88-key keyboard, with everything else.

Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2018 12:24PM by mspace.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Used car advice? . . .
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 05, 2018 12:34PM
For Gm/Ford/ChryslerFiat... the 5-6 years rule is still about right. For Honda/Toyota/Subaru, it's more "Less than 10 years 100K miles". In NY rust is a factor, so you have to be cautious.

There are lots of small SUV's out there with great cargo capacity and downward folding seats.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 05, 2018 12:40PM
mspace
Also, for Subaru aficionados (this is our third one), I don't think the Legacy Wagon is available in the US anymore.

If you wanted to stick with Subaru, you'd want to look at the Outback, which is basically a lifted Legacy Wagon, or the Forester which I believe is taller and a bit shorter than the Outback.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 05, 2018 12:49PM
I look at mileage more than years, assuming rust is under control. I figure I can make it to at least 150K on any model with a good reliability record, and work the math from there. I do a spreadsheet dividing cost of car per miles left to compare choices.
Posted by: Bixby
Date: October 05, 2018 01:02PM
Mileage and how it was driven more than years, but I'd stick to less than 10 years or 100k miles.

I bought a 9-year-old Honda CRV with 60k highway miles only driven on the weekends in 2009. Still have it and now have 170k miles on it - with original clutch no less. Mechanic says it'll go to 300k.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 05, 2018 01:27PM
If you are concerned about rust -- maybe consider purchasing from out of state? Like from carmax or autonation.

Is there a budget? there has to be a ton of small CUVs that would fit your needs, from every car maker.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Wags
Date: October 05, 2018 02:56PM
mspace
We bought our trusty 1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon in 2004. The engine still runs well, but the body is starting to convince us to move on. We don't drive a lot, living in NYC, but it's needed for moving music equipment to gigs, etc.

At the time we got it, we wouldn't get a used car older that 5-6 years. Of course prices have gone up since then. With improvements made in cars, is that still a good rule of thumb? Is it now reasonable to consider a 10 year old car?

Also, for Subaru aficionados (this is our third one), I don't think the Legacy Wagon is available in the US anymore. Any recommendations for something with similar back-end space? Think fitting in an 88-key keyboard, with everything else.

Thanks in advance!

I'm in the same boat, moving around musical gear. Don't know what your budget is but you literally cannot go wrong with a Scion Xb. I've got 3 of the that I run as taxis and they're are bullet proof. An 88 keyboard in a case fits easily in them and leaves plenty of room for everything else.

Right now I have a BMW X1, which also works great, but if anything goes awry, like the 8 speed trans, uh, that'd be a bummer.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 05, 2018 04:09PM
Your right at the 10 year window, but a Honda Element may be the perfect choice. Tons of interior space, rubberized interior that makes cleaning a snap (but no, you cannot hose it out).

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Cary
Date: October 05, 2018 08:45PM
If needed, I have a shop in Queens. We do used car evaluations.
Posted by: davester
Date: October 06, 2018 12:03AM
IMHO the number of years is irrelevant. What matters is exposure to the elements and miles on the mechanicals. We live in California so exposure and rust is irrelevant and our newest car is a 2008 and is essentially in brand new condition. We just gave our old beater (a 1999 Mercedes ML320 with 260,000 miles) to our daughter and she is delighted because it drives like a new car.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mspace
Date: October 06, 2018 08:26AM
As far as budget . . . back then I pulled off getting the Legacy Wagon with 54k for about $5500. It was hard to find. Got it on eBay via dealer near my parent's, so they helped check it out. That location is no longer an option.

Knowing things are more expensive, I'm still trying to keep costs down, so $7-8 would be optimum. I do know that it's something I'll probably have to stumble on again as I did last time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 138
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018