advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just Acquired an Amazon Echo... Any useful tips???
Posted by: spacescape
Date: October 10, 2018 07:00AM
My coworker had an extra Amazon Echo (believe it's the first generation because you turn the top for volume) and gave it to me to try. I factory reset it, connected it to my wifi and was playing with it last night. I did set it up with my Harmony Remote (w/ hub) and was able to say "Alexa, turn on TV" and "Alexa, Turn off TV" and it appears to be working. I setup a pandora account and linked it to the echo and my amazon prime. It won't connect to my cell number because it says it's already linked to an amazon account... hmmmm... So, gotta figure that out. Did turn off purchasing right now. So, anything really useful? any tips for the wife and kids? I'm setting up some smart plugs and bulbs (with smart life) and hope to setup some timers and be able to control lights a little bit when at home (but want to use smartlife app when I'm away to turn on a few lights if coming home late).

If I get a DOT for my basement can I NOT have it play music in this room? or not do "whole home" stereo? I'm assuming I can name each echo different and assign it to do different things.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just Acquired an Amazon Echo... Any useful tips???
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 10, 2018 07:10AM
there was a loophole where you could order an add-on item without hitting the minimum $25 order. You placed the item in your cart using a computer, then said "Alexa order a toothbrush". Alexa would say "I found a Colgate toothbrush in your cart for $2.75, would you like to order?". You said "Yes" and voila, 2 days later you had the item in your mailbox.

Unfortunately they closed the loophole now. I a dozen or so items this way, usually the price would drop from say $15 (free shipping with prime) to $5 as an add-on item but this only lasted a couple of hours. If you managed to find these items, put them in cart and order before the price went up, you were all set. I saved more than $100 this way.
Date: October 10, 2018 07:17AM
Do the new Echo models sound better as far as a sound / music??? Maybe instead of getting a DOT I could get a better Echo and put this one in the basement (if I keep it).
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 10, 2018 07:19AM
I don't know, I do not have the new one.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: October 10, 2018 07:21AM
see if it will have a chat with Siri?

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Date: October 10, 2018 07:29AM
Probably should just play with this for a week or two then "possibly" get the best sounding one for the kitchen/living room seeing the wife listens to music all day from a little radio... But, first... setup playlists for her... setup a family calendar (via iCloud), Ooma calling and some smart home stuff... Oh, and a to do list and shopping lists...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 10, 2018 07:43AM
....it might accidentally send something to everyone on your email list by mistake......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 10, 2018 08:08AM
It won't connect to my cell number because it says it's already linked to an amazon account... hmmmm... So, gotta figure that out.

He needs to remove it from his AMZ account. If you're just trying it out, don't bother.

If I get a DOT for my basement can I NOT have it play music in this room? or not do "whole home" stereo? I'm assuming I can name each echo different and assign it to do different things.

Music plays from the Echo unit that's told. There may be some skill that does all Echo units, but that's not typical.

Do the new Echo models sound better as far as a sound / music???

Yes. But they are what they are, a small speaker setup. You can connect a speaker or speaker system to it via BT or a 3.5mm jack and plug. A matter of space, and balance of expectations.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 10, 2018 08:48AM
Throw out any expectation of privacy.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 10, 2018 09:04AM
Throw it away or never use it?
Date: October 10, 2018 09:05AM
pRICE cUBE

I'll just mute it when I'm making a deal with a politician.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 10, 2018 10:27AM
spacescape
pRICE cUBE

I would imagine muting it would be the same as hitting the "record/alert!" button because whatever follows is sure to be much more interesting and/or incriminating than the usual ambient chatter to which it is exposed.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Date: October 10, 2018 11:11AM
Thrift Store Scott
spacescape
pRICE cUBE

I would imagine muting it would be the same as hitting the "record/alert!" button because whatever follows is sure to be much more interesting and/or incriminating than the usual ambient chatter to which it is exposed.

Ha ha... True
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 10, 2018 11:58AM
We use ours in the kitchen area - timers, setup a news feed for BBC etc, and get some Alexa-enabled lightbulbs for fun. Those will likely need a hub.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 10, 2018 12:00PM
.....would it help to.....as Marvin Gaye would say......'get it on'........????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 249
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015