Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: NW Floridians... Shelter In Place NOW
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 10, 2018 08:21AM
[www.cleveland.com]
"The sheriff in Panama City's Bay County issued a shelter-in-place order before dawn Wednesday, and Florida Gov. Rick Scott tweeted that for people in the hurricane's path, "the time to evacuate has come and gone ... SEEK REFUGE IMMEDIATELY."

At 7 a.m., an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter crew reported top sustained winds up to near 140 mph (225 kph) with higher gusts. Michael's eye was about 105 miles (165 kilometers) from Panama City and 100 miles (160 kilometers) from Apalachicola, but moving relatively fast at 13 mph (21 kph). Tropical-storm force winds extending 185 miles (295 kilometers) from the center were already lashing the coast.

"We are in new territory," National Hurricane Center Meteorologist Dennis Feltgen wrote in a Facebook post Wednesday. "The historical record, going back to 1851, finds no Category 4 hurricane ever hitting the Florida panhandle.""
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: NW Floridians... Shelter In Place NOW
Posted by: billb
Date: October 10, 2018 08:38AM

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: October 10, 2018 08:45AM
Look out,,,this one snuck in and then got big..very bad recipe for adequate preparation..hope these folks are ok.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 10, 2018 10:03AM
It is outside the cone by about 10 miles, but I saw very little preparation in Tallahassee yesterday. Everyone expects to lose power (the city is very heavily treed) for the next week.

My son is hunkered down and just waiting.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: October 10, 2018 10:18AM
If they're just at the edge of the cone and the track stays on it's current course, due to rapid fall off of wind speeds after landfall, Tallahassee probably doesn't have too much to worry about (if I'm interpreting the following page correctly):

[www.nhc.noaa.gov]?
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 10, 2018 10:30AM
We used to live in Port St Joe. It is really low there. If it takes a direct hit, and I think that’s where it will hit, or maybe Mexico Beach between PSJ and Panama City, there will be a lot of homes destroyed. Thankfully it is not a heavily populated area. Panama City has much newer and bigger buildings.

I hope it doesn’t trash the beaches at Cape San Blas. Cape San Blas is on a beautiful peninsula just east of PSJ, but the beaches there are very fragile and could be trashed by a storm of this size.

We rode out a lesser hurricane on Mexico Beach, when I was a kid. Not fun.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 10:32AM by rgG.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 10, 2018 10:52AM
cbelt3
"We are in new territory," National Hurricane Center Meteorologist Dennis Feltgen wrote in a Facebook post Wednesday. "The historical record, going back to 1851, finds no Category 4 hurricane ever hitting the Florida panhandle."
Good luck to anyone who stays through this one. I've met quite a few people who decided to "ride out" a hurricane once but I've never met anyone who did so a second time.

From a purely architectural and construction standpoint, it'll be interesting to see just how well-built all those (hopefully empty) high-rise condos on the beachfront really are.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: TLB
Date: October 10, 2018 12:09PM
My friends who live within a mile of the coast made it to Huntsville, AL. The progression from TS to Cat 3 was so quick most in their neighborhood weren't prepared to evacuate and they left, not specifically due to danger, but because they felt a prolonged power outage would be a hardship for their very young children.
Date: October 10, 2018 12:26PM
Must be intense at tindall AFB

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 10, 2018 03:43PM
My favorite beaches in all the world are in Destin FL. I first went there when I was about 10 years old. We stayed in a hotel that was literally on the beach. We walked out our back door and we were on sand. A few years later, after a few hurricanes had come and gone, I returned with my then girlfriend. We booked a room at the same hotel. Found that it was now 2 blocks from he beach. Hurricanes do weird things.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 10, 2018 07:07PM
billb

"Only a skeleton staff remained at Tyndall Air Force Base, situated on a peninsula just south of Panama City. Hundreds of military families were moved out, and the base's aircraft, which include F-22 Raptors, were flown to safety hundreds of miles away."

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: October 11, 2018 11:34AM
Speedy
billb

"Only a skeleton staff remained at Tyndall Air Force Base, situated on a peninsula just south of Panama City. Hundreds of military families were moved out, and the base's aircraft, which include F-22 Raptors, were flown to safety hundreds of miles away."

Which has nothing to do with how windy it must have been there.

[soundcloud.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015