advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ok, What's The Best TV on Amzn for $300?
Posted by: chopper
Date: October 10, 2018 08:21AM
We have Tivo, DVD player, cable, and hopefully more from an antenna ... Netflix account.

Suggestions welcome ....
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ok, What's The Best TV on Amzn for $300?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 10, 2018 09:31AM
Chopper,

Look at rtings.com for reviews. I'm not a fan of buying TVs that are larger than, say, 32" from an online store. Had them damaged in transit by small package carriers like UPS and Fedex too many times. I'd get a larger TV from a local store and bring it home myself or have them deliver it. Just make sure they price-match.

Robert
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 10, 2018 09:59AM
I've become a fan of the TCL Roku sets. If your cable company has a Roku compatible app, you can eliminate the cable box, or even being tied to a cable outlet.

I've not bought a set from Amazon, but have bought two 32" setsfrom Dell with no issues. Larger than that, I would look locally (Walmart often has good deals)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: October 10, 2018 11:33AM
Last month after my 2nd Vizio died, Walmart had a 43" LG for $238.00. Haven't bought one yet though.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 10, 2018 12:32PM
I understand Roberts concerns, but TVs weight less than nothing these days -- even the big ones -- so I think there is a far less of a chance of getting lugged and dropped.

You didnt mention size. The only thing I can say about the $300 mark is that its just slightly too little. Under $300 seems to limit you 50" 1080p sets. Go another $25-50 and you move into a 4K set.

Yes, there really is a huge difference.

We just bought a LG 43" for my wifes mom. Didnt need a giant 55" and 32" was just too small. 43", 4K smart TV -- it was $350 -- but think Ive seen it cheaper. [www.walmart.com]

If this is a "spare" set black friday deals are just around the corner.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: October 10, 2018 12:59PM
JDC,

Weight has nothing to do with it, though I know with certainty items do get lugged and dropped. Even items that weigh as little as a modern TV.

The concern is items banging into the TV. The size and design of a TV makes shipping a large TV via small package carrier cumbersome which is why they are often lugged and dropped, regardless of weight. The shipping boxes typically used for them lack the necessary protective packaging for safe transport by a small package carrier. There is a good chance the TV will arrive with a cracked screen.

You'll also find companies ship TVs in their original box instead of the original box within a box with protective packaging that is appropriate for transport. They often just slap a label on the original box and hand it to the carrier.

Original boxes are positively inappropriate for transport via small package carrier. Shipment by the dozens on a pallet or in a bulk transport box, yes. Small package carrier? Not a chance.

Robert
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 10, 2018 02:41PM
I've seen TV boxes showing 'DO NOT LIE FLAT'.

On a visit to a UPS facility with a friend to pick up an item I saw an LG box, maybe a 40"-ish TV lying flat on a hand truck with a couple of smaller boxes on it.

Maybe it was perfectly fine when set up. But I'd have my reservations. The screen certainly isn't properly supported when layer flat. And the potential for other packages to be set or dropped on it is greater.

A larger TV probably wouldn't be laid flat, but IF something were wrong, boxing it up to be picked up or schlepped to UPS would be a pain. So yes, I'd probably shy from ordering a larger TV online.

But if Amazon is your best bet, maybe that's not such a big deal.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 10, 2018 04:20PM
I've had two TVs delivered and both times, the boxes were a MESS, but luckily no damage to the screen. Huge scratch on the back of one of them, but it wasn't worth the HUGE hassle of returning.

No doubt... I'm buying my next TV from Frys - they regularly run deals with free same day shipping. It there's an issue, I can borrow a Mack truck and return it.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 10, 2018 05:26PM
Amazon will pick up certain returns. Not sure about TVs though. But for regular returns you have the options of having UPS pick it up.

also the TV can lay flat in the Brick and Mortar warehouse and you would never know it when you buy it. it's a gamble either way. if it does not work, return. just as painful it you buy from B&M or Amazon, in fact maybe less with Amazon since they may pick it up.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 10, 2018 05:50PM
Walmart was stuffed to the gills with TVS of all sizes with prices that looked good to me on my last visit. Not in the market, but I think Robert's concerns are valid, and the price points favorable, especially with Walmart aggressively protecting market share with respect to Amazon.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 10, 2018 07:20PM
I'd go with a TCL Roku model. All of mine are going strong. I picked up 5 Hitachi Roku TVs from Sams Club for the school at the beginning of the year. They were cheap for 55" 4K models, will see how they hold up.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: October 11, 2018 06:31AM
Space,

Laying flat in a warehouse during storage is far less of an issue than what will happen when a TV is on a small package carrier's truck. In a warehouse, the box is basically stationary, along with other TVs that are in inventory. In a truck, boxes are more likely to move around and/or have other boxes knock into it.

The Sony 42" LED TVs my older brother and I ordered direct from Sony and shipped via Fedex Ground both arrived with cracked screens. The boxes were intact and showed minimal signs of damage. Nothing out of the ordinary enough to raise an eyebrow. Impact damage? Hard to say but likely. A TV stored vertically in a truck can easily get hit by another large box hard enough to crack the screen but not so hard to cause damage to the TV's box.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 201
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015