advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OK, I need some serious help before I give up and buy a new Mac
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 10, 2018 09:43AM
I posted a few threads down, that was about the 15" machine acting up, but that seems to be fine now after PRAM reset. The issue is the 13" machine.

2011 13" MBP (16 GB RAM, 256 SSD, Mavericks).
Wife uses this for email and kids for homework and light gaming.
A few days ago kids said the machine shut down, but they were able to start it again after attaching the power cord. I didn't pay much attention.

Today while troubleshooting my machine (15") I also looked at the bettery health and cycle count on the 13" machine. I learned that cycle count is high (1460) and condition was "Normal". Still the battery was 2% and was NOT charging. I tried everything: 60 W power adapter, 86W power adapter from the 15" machine, zapped PRAM (this did help on the 15"), did an SMC reset according to this

[support.apple.com]

I tried a few times, rebooted, zapped RRAM a few times, SMC reset a few times, tried attaching the power cord with computer ON and OFF. the machine will recognize the power adapter is attached, but refuses to charge.

any ideas?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OK, I need some serious help before I give up and buy a new Mac
Posted by: jardster
Date: October 10, 2018 10:02AM
I've had batteries that have died and you start getting all sorts of wacky behavior. My guess is the battery is failing and swapping it out will get things running like it was before.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 10, 2018 10:07AM
Just replace the battery.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: October 10, 2018 10:18AM
I think it's about time for a new battery (maybe for both machines).

but what do you know, after letting the machine OFF and MagSafe connected about about half hour, now the color is Orange (which means it is charging) and the LED on the side no longer blinks fast, it blinks slow, like it is charging. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I looked at Amazon and I see a bunch of batteries with pretty good reviews, even fake spot says I can trust those reviews, but I think for $30 more I will go with our sponsor.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: October 10, 2018 10:26AM
I agree, replace the battery. If you do, buy it from OWC; their battery for my 2010 MBA is much better than the one I bought on eBay for my wife's 2010 MBA.
Date: October 10, 2018 10:33AM
yeap, will order today for the 13" and keep an eye on the 15".

The 13" seemed to chargem but after the light being Orange for a few minutes, machine tried to start-up by itself ( I heard the DVD noise) then it shut down and light is green again. I was able to start up the machine but it is running very very slow. Even with an 85W power adapter, it still runs slow. I would think it should run at full speed even with a dead battery...
Date: October 10, 2018 10:39AM
order placed, will report when I install it.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 10, 2018 11:19AM
Replace the battery. The MBP batteries of that era were rated for ~1000 charging cycles - you have exceeded that by a significant amount.

I have a 15" MBP from the same year that only has about 150 charging cycles on it. The battery still holds a charge, but due to its age it discharges much more quickly than a newer battery would. I probably need to replace it while I still can.

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 11:19AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: October 10, 2018 11:42AM
2 batteries on order, one for 13" and one for 15", both from OWC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 277
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018