advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
$484 MBA on Amazon with SquareTrade protection could be a helluva deal
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: October 10, 2018 11:59AM
Was looking around for a friend's budget-conscious kid and found this MacBook Air refurbed on Amazon ( [www.amazon.com] )for less than $500. With the 3-year Accident Plan at $85 (covered by SquareTrade), this could be a good deal for someone on a tight budget.

note: I rarely buy insurance for anything, but in 2013, I purchased a 65" TV at Costco, and decided on the 5-year extended warranty by SquareTrade for $99. Last year, I moved from the state, and sold the TV to a close friend, who promptly reported a few months later than the TV was kaput. I was about to send him his money back, when I remembered that SquareTrade and still had all the info in my 1Password notes. Logged into the site, and damn, it showed I had 28 days left on the warranty. We all scrambled to set up a visit, and weeks later, my friend had a brand new vastly better upgraded 65" TV. I'm since a fan of SquareTrade.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32G RAM High Sierra 10.13.4x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 12:00PM by tuqqer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: $484 MBA on Amazon with SquareTrade protection could be a helluva deal
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 10, 2018 12:10PM
tuqqer
I'm since a fan of SquareTrade.

Squaretrade service has always been very good, however some of their prices are out of control now.

The Costco TV warranty is a good deal, as are some of the prices for adding a warranty to Amazon purchases. But their eBay warranties (which is where I believe they started out) are crazy expensive now. It does make some sense, they're providing a warranty for a used item from random sellers/individuals, but the prices were much more reasonable in the past.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 10, 2018 12:37PM
The seller has a poor rating...

Posted by: datbeme
Date: October 10, 2018 02:38PM
tugger, you are the man!

Sorry to change the subject, but I just had a similar experience when checking on a SquareTrade warranty I vaguely remember purchasing. Assumed I had a 3 or 4 year warranty on a 64" Samsung Plasma I bought in 2014. This was their last top of the line plasma and it's still amazing, but their is some kind of HDMI glitch that occasionally requires unplugging the power cord for it to reboot and recognize the signal.

Thought I was out of luck, but after looking it up, I see that it was a 5 year warranty good through May of 2019. I wouldn't have thought to check if it wasn't for this thread.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: October 10, 2018 03:39PM
datbeme
tugger, you are the man!

Thought I was out of luck, but after looking it up, I see that it was a 5 year warranty good through May of 2019. I wouldn't have thought to check if it wasn't for this thread.

How's that for synchronicity smiling smiley That made my day.

Post back on the outcome of this. I hope you get the same service we did. by the way, they did try fixing the TV first, and the repairman finally gave up, and voila, a new TV arrived a few days later, gratis.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32G RAM High Sierra 10.13.4x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: richorlin
Date: October 10, 2018 11:22PM
Not only does the seller have a poor rating but the "accident protection" is not with Squaretrade, but with Asurion, which has a terrible track record.

EDIT: the 3-yr policy is with Squqretrade and the 4-yr policy is with Asurion. Sorry about that.

Also, keep in mind that the 11" Macbook Air screen is very, very small and non-retina. I had one several years ago and after using it for 6 months I was ready to throw it out the window, Portability is great, but the 11" Macbook Air is a real dog to use: terrible screen and an underpowered processor. Plus, 128gb will fill up fast.
If you want portability with a decent screen, do yourself a favor and get a refurbished 2017 12" Macbook from Apple with twice the storage for an additional $600.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 11:34PM by richorlin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Acer , bik , Cary , deckeda , p8712 , rgG , Wags
Guests: 303
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015