advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Early 2011 MBP 15" Possible GPU Issue?
Posted by: pinion
Date: October 10, 2018 01:38PM
Couldn't get it to boot past the apple screen loading bar screen and it would reboot on it's own. Ran AHT using Option-D at startup (I think that's how I did it, loaded AHT from the internet) and there were no issues. It had the original HDD in there so I got an SSD and when I went to boot up from my USB High Sierra drive I got a blue screen with vertical black bars. Tried to enter recovery from the internet and it just goes to a gray screen and the fans spin up high for hours. I'm thinking now it needs a logic board. Am I right thinking it's the logic board and is it worth it?

---"Yer all idiots." elmo3
[forums.macresource.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Early 2011 MBP 15" Possible GPU Issue?
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 10, 2018 01:43PM
sounds like a GPU issue. When mine acted up, Apple used a special test to verify, I think the Apple hardware test that came with the machine did not find the problem.

I heard that even repaired units will eventually fail again (mine is still good, knocking on wood). since it has USB 2, I would not bother. Look for a 2012 model.
Posted by: clay
Date: October 10, 2018 01:52PM
sounds like the GPU. There are places that can repair, but I probably wouldn't personally bother. This guy has done a bunch of the component level repairs on this model. [www.youtube.com] Not sure it would be worth the expense.

Pull the drive and stick it on eBay. I have sold several over the past year for a couple hundred bucks each.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 10, 2018 02:07PM
GPU problem, probably not worth your time. My hand-me-down 2011 15" has a similar issue, dependent on GPU but it's not as bad. I boot to desktop with video flaws and then force it to use the iGPU, which performs just fine. A bit of a pain but as a free machine (once the dead batt was replaced), it works for me.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 10, 2018 02:09PM
Lew Zealand
GPU problem, probably not worth your time. My hand-me-down 2011 15" has a similar issue, dependent on GPU but it's not as bad. I boot to desktop with video flaws and then force it to use the iGPU, which performs just fine. A bit of a pain but as a free machine (once the dead batt was replaced), it works for me.

How do you force it?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 10, 2018 02:21PM
there are some programs to force it to use the on-board GPU, but that is if you can get it to boot at all. many times you can't even boot it.

I wish there was a way to just unsolder the GPU and boot without it.

EDIT

[apple.stackexchange.com]

[forums.macrumors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 02:23PM by space-time.
Date: October 10, 2018 02:28PM
space-time
there are some programs to force it to use the on-board GPU, but that is if you can get it to boot at all. many times you can't even boot it.

I wish there was a way to just unsolder the GPU and boot without it.

EDIT

[apple.stackexchange.com]

[forums.macrumors.com]

space-time, thanks!

Date: October 10, 2018 06:55PM
Speedy
Lew Zealand

How do you force it?

s-t's answer looks correct but I'll have a look at what app I use when I get home this evening.
Date: October 10, 2018 08:15PM
I use gfxcardstatus on my 2011 15" MBP with misbehaving discrete graphics. I can boot and run with the bad card with significant display errors (green dots over much of the screen) but its usable enough to get to the desktop where gfxcardstatus takes over and forces it to the integrated gfx.

If yours is stuck in an unusable state, you can try hooking up an external display which will force each of the displays to use one gfx card, so one will show a normal desktop thanks to being assigned the integrated card. I think this is usually the internal display. Then you can download and install gfxcardstatus to get the internal display working on it's own.
Date: October 10, 2018 10:46PM
Lew Zealand
I use gfxcardstatus on my 2011 15" MBP with misbehaving discrete graphics. I can boot and run with the bad card with significant display errors (green dots over much of the screen) but its usable enough to get to the desktop where gfxcardstatus takes over and forces it to the integrated gfx.

If yours is stuck in an unusable state, you can try hooking up an external display which will force each of the displays to use one gfx card, so one will show a normal desktop thanks to being assigned the integrated card. I think this is usually the internal display. Then you can download and install gfxcardstatus to get the internal display working on it's own.

Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 213
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015