advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
is OWC marketing honest or slightly exagerating the quality of their batteries?
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 10, 2018 04:17PM
[eshop.macsales.com]

Newer Makes Your Mac Better Than New!

When high-performance, quality, and longevity are your battery upgrade criteria, NuPower is your answer. NuPower batteries are designed to meet and exceed factory specifications, so now you can listen to more music, watch more videos, and get more work done between recharges. To ensure your confidence and satisfaction, these highest-quality batteries are backed by free, award-winning US-based support and a one-year, 48-hour or less turnaround warranty.

First of all, how can a battery make it better than new, unless it provided more run time. that is the only thing that can make a machine better than new.

the original capacity is 77.5 Wh.

[everymac.com]

The OWC capacity is listed at 78 Wh. to me that is within measurement errors, or it could also be a rounding error. So we have to assume that OWC is identical to Apple OEM. If OWC really found a method to pack more energy into that battery, I would be surprised if Apple didn't find the same way, Apple is orders of magnitude larger and has more resources that OWC.

So assuming that 77.5 = 78, why does OWC make those claims? how is the machine better than new? Apple batteries lasted a solid 7-8 years and have 900 and 1400 cycles respectively. I am curious how long will OWC batteries last.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: is OWC marketing honest or slightly exagerating the quality of their batteries?
Posted by: billb
Date: October 10, 2018 04:21PM
You might want to curb that enthusiasm.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Re: is OWC marketing honest or slightly exagerating the quality of their batteries?
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 10, 2018 04:22PM
Why not call them and ask.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 10, 2018 04:23PM
welcome to the United States... this is how we sell stuff to each other.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 10, 2018 04:28PM
hal
welcome to the United States... this is how we sell stuff to each other.

I think we have a winner.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 10, 2018 04:35PM
You've already made your assumptions.

At this juncture, the only source that can give you any actual data is OWC. Personally, I could find a plethora of things that would be more worthy of my consideration.

But it's your dime.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 10, 2018 07:02PM
> Is OWC marketing honest or slightly exagerating the quality of their batteries?

It may have been true when the ad-copy was written in 2012.

Odds are good that whatever battery you're getting it's been sitting on the shelf for awhile and losing a bit of capacity. So, not better than new anymore. But better than the dead battery that it's replacing.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 10, 2018 07:07PM
Well, the warranty is better than Apple 1year vs 90 days and a faster turn around time. They may also charge faster and last for more cycles. They could also be more efficient with the number of cells or arrangement to provide better heat dissipation.

Remember, Apple designed a 2009 MacBook Pro battery 9 years ago. They don't ever redesign the batteries. So buying one today from Apple for a 2009 Macbook Pro you would be getting 9 year old technology. The OWC battery likely has a newer design.

Not saying the above is true, but there are plenty of possibilities.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 11, 2018 08:38AM
The NuPower battery is a winner.

I bought a NuPower battery for my late 2008 MBP, after the original failed before reaching 300 cycles.

While new, the Coconut Battery app listed its capacity as being higher than the capacity of an Apple battery.

After 4 years and over 70 cycles, it was at 98% of a new Apple battery.

Again, the NuPower battery is a winner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2018 08:39AM by S. Pupp.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 239
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015