advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Adobe is really getting aggressive about flash player
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 10, 2018 11:22PM
They really really really want me to update their player.

They keep sending me nag windows that I have to keep dismissing.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Adobe is really getting aggressive about flash player
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 10, 2018 11:27PM
freeradical

As a general rule, they don't do that.

Whatever weird or Yahoo™ sites you're visiting, stop it. They're pushing malware.

If you feel like doing so, check to see whether you have the latest by visiting the Flash Player pref pane in the System Preferences. Click the "Check now" button under the "Updates" tab. You'll get a link to the legit update from there if your Flash plugin is out of date.

Better still, just uninstall the Flash plugin entirely from the /Library/Internet Plugins folder. It's not required by many sites anymore. You can get along without it.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 10, 2018 11:37PM
Unless you work at a school.... “edu-tainment” sites (may they rot in hell) are a good ten years behind, and many rely on Flash. As much as I’d like to kill Flash, I can’t yet...

Sarcany
freeradical

Whatever weird or Yahoo™ sites you're visiting, stop it. They're pushing malware.

If you feel like doing so, check to see whether you have the latest by visiting the Flash Player pref pane in the System Preferences. Click the "Check now" button under the "Updates" tab. You'll get a link to the legit update from there if your Flash plugin is out of date.

Better still, just uninstall the Flash plugin entirely from the /Library/Internet Plugins folder. It's not required by many sites anymore. You can get along without it.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 11, 2018 12:39AM
Paul F.
Unless you work at a school.... “edu-tainment” sites (may they rot in hell) are a good ten years behind, and many rely on Flash. As much as I’d like to kill Flash, I can’t yet...

Sarcany
freeradical

My installation of FIrefox at work is set at the version 52 ESR one so I cn do the students' payroll. The web based app needs both Flash and Java to run, I don't see that changing anytime in the next year or two.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 11, 2018 03:01AM
I dont think its any less/more obtrusive than before... but it does seem as tho every once in ahwile it goes thru a phase where it seems to have constant updates... and then nothing for months.

Id like to get rid of it, but the sites I visit for work all have videos -- and 80% seem to be flash.

FWIW, running Sierra, with FF Beta 63.0b13 and Flash 31.0.0.108

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 11, 2018 07:33AM
jdc
Id like to get rid of it, but the sites I visit for work all have videos -- and 80% seem to be flash.

I do a lot of RFQ/RFP/Bid research, and many require flash just to be able to see certain elements of the page/PDF downloads & etc.

Note that most of these are city/county/state run sites, and several still include the "Must be viewed using IE vXX or better" alert on the page. I encountered one the other day that still had the Netscape Navigator button; should have screenshot'd that one.

same as it ever was
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 11, 2018 07:38AM
If you are getting the nags while browsing, chances are close to 100% that they are bogus and will install adware or worse if you click on them. Check for updates using the Flash panel in System Prefs. If you have set your Flash preferences to update automatically, that might generate an alert—I don’t know if it does because I only have it installed on a couple of systems, set to not update automatically, since I visit Macintouch daily and thus always know when Adobe releases security updates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2018 07:38AM by ka jowct.
Date: October 11, 2018 08:11AM
I get these nags even when I'm not running a browser.

I have Flash 31.0.0.108 installed.

When I click on "check now", I get a message saying an update is available.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: October 11, 2018 10:59AM
ka jowct
If you are getting the nags while browsing, chances are close to 100% that they are bogus and will install adware or worse if you click on them. Check for updates using the Flash panel in System Prefs. If you have set your Flash preferences to update automatically, that might generate an alert—I don’t know if it does because I only have it installed on a couple of systems, set to not update automatically, since I visit Macintouch daily and thus always know when Adobe releases security updates.

Yahoo News is especially bad for this, being full of aggregated pages that get hijacked by these Flash malware popups.

JoeM
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 11, 2018 11:45AM
I will only install Adobe Flash from installers I've manually downloaded myself from Adobe's web site.

It is what it is.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 11, 2018 11:45AM
How many adobe.flashplayer.dmg are in your downloads folder ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 11, 2018 12:01PM
If you are getting the nags while browsing, chances are close to 100% that they are bogus and will install adware or worse if you click on them.

This.

I will only install Adobe Flash from installers I've manually downloaded myself from Adobe's web site.

I will only install

What am I saying?! I, fortunately, don't need Flash for anything. A couple of times old parts sites that looked like they were made in the '80s (was that even possible) had Flash (I assume) video and I could change the developer agent or use an iPad to see what I needed.

Otherwise, I just write the site off.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 11, 2018 01:05PM
I simply REFUSE to use Flash these days. If someone wants me to view their video, they have to make it available in a format that doesn't include Flash. old fogey smiley
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 11, 2018 01:20PM
I keep Chome around for the occasional times that I need Flash to watch a video.
Posted by: numbered
Date: October 11, 2018 01:32PM
RAMd®d
A couple of times old parts sites that looked like they were made in the '80s (was that even possible)

Development of HTTP was initiated by Tim Berners-Lee at CERN in 1989. Development of HTTP standards was coordinated by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), culminating in the publication of a series of Requests for Comments (RFCs).

Nope, not possible, it just seems that way =)

Makes me feel very old....

Mosaic: Release 0.5 / January 23, 1993; 25 years ago
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 11, 2018 04:29PM
JoeH
Paul F.

Sarcany
freeradical

My installation of FIrefox at work is set at the version 52 ESR one so I cn do the students' payroll. The web based app needs both Flash and Java to run, I don't see that changing anytime in the next year or two.

ADP? Most buggy and insecure website in the internet.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 11, 2018 09:38PM
space-time
JoeH
Paul F.

Sarcany
freeradical

ADP? Most buggy and insecure website in the internet.

Nope, Kronos. The timeclock and payroll portion is called Workforce Central.
Date: October 12, 2018 11:15AM
Okay, I've managed to shut this down by making a change to the updating preferences in the Adobe panel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 248
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015