advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
can miniDisplay port to HDMI cable work only in one direction?
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 11, 2018 10:53AM
I have a know good monitor, a good BELKIN cable, and a new laptop. I know I used the cable to send signal from a MacBook Air (mini Display or Thunderbolt port) to a TV (HDMI). So I know the cable can send signal from mDisplay to HDMI.

right now I am using a laptop that had HDMI port and I connected the cable to the monitor (mDisplay) but I can't get it to work. I tried everything. I am out of ideas. The only thing that could explain this is if the cable has something inside that made it unidirectional. Is this possible?

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: can miniDisplay port to HDMI cable work only in one direction?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 11, 2018 11:06AM
.....One Direction broke up.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: October 11, 2018 11:08AM
I just tried a HDMI-HDMI cable and now it works. The laptop can put signal on the HDMI port. The only logical explanation is that the cable is unidirectional, or the mDisplay port on the monitor became defective since last time I used it.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 11, 2018 11:56AM
I don't think it has to do with the cable. I believe it has to do with the protocols.

DisplayPort/Mini-DisplayPort has the HDMI protocols built into it, but HDMI is only HDMI. HDMI doesn't know how to communicate with a DisplayPort port.

It's like a TurDucken. There's a chicken (HDMI) in the middle. But if you start with just a chicken (HDMI), there's no turkey (DisplayPort) on the outside, and your guests will be disappointed and go hungry at Thanksgiving! smiling smiley
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 11, 2018 12:21PM
It depends on if the mini-DP/Thundercrap to HDMI dongle is passive or active. I think most that are rated for HDMI 2.0 are active. Some that are HDMI 1.4a (4K/30Hz) are passive. Only a limited number of the passive models are bi-directional. I would expect a male mini-DisplayPort to male HDMI cable to be move likely bi-directional but it's no guarantee unless it says so in the documentation.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: dk62
Date: October 11, 2018 12:33PM
You need a powered adapter. Something like:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00JQORLCG/
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 11, 2018 06:36PM
The adapter only goes one way.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 11, 2018 07:04PM
space-time
I have a know good monitor, a good BELKIN cable, and a new laptop. I know I used the cable to send signal from a MacBook Air (mini Display or Thunderbolt port) to a TV (HDMI). So I know the cable can send signal from mDisplay to HDMI.

right now I am using a laptop that had HDMI port and I connected the cable to the monitor (mDisplay) but I can't get it to work. I tried everything. I am out of ideas. The only thing that could explain this is if the cable has something inside that made it unidirectional. Is this possible?

Yes.

It's also possible that your display has both input and output ports and you've been jacking into the output port.

I've seen it both ways.

...I've been very please with Dell Utrasharp displays. Dell's bundled MDP>DP cables are bi-directional and very reliable so when I need to connect to a new TB dock with Displayport out I can just flip the cable around. Have found many cables from Amazon that only go MDP>DP and not DP>MDP.

Posted by: dk62
Date: October 11, 2018 07:54PM
HDMI protocol is included in DP or MDP output, but HDMI does not output a signal that DP input understands. That's why you need a powered signal converter in that direction.
Date: October 11, 2018 10:03PM
dk62
HDMI protocol is included in DP or MDP output, but HDMI does not output a signal that DP input understands. That's why you need a powered signal converter in that direction.

interesting. HDMI/DP/mDP cables ar emore complicated than what I imagined.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 12, 2018 11:13AM
space-time
dk62

Spare yourself and never delve into USB-C.
Date: October 12, 2018 06:23PM
mikebw

care to explain? Thanks
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 12, 2018 06:39PM
mikebw
space-time
dk62

Geez! It's not like you have to worry about type-A and type-B connectors or anything like that. USB-C is the same on both ends. And reversible. There's no way to insert it incorrectly.

You just have to match the purpose/protocol and power and specify an active or passive cable. It comes down to charge/data and choices of certifications for Thunderbolt, USB 3.2 Gen 1, USB 3.2 Gen 2, USB 3.1 Gen 1, USB 3.1 Gen 2, 5V/1.5A (7.5W), 5v/3A (15W), 20v/3A (60W), 20V/5A (100W) and if you're using it just for charging you make sure that the charger matches or exceeds the specs on the cable.

What's the problem?

Date: October 13, 2018 01:18PM
Remember the cables used to dumb simple?

FW cables just worked. You only had to worry about having the right connector, FW400 or 800. That's it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2018 01:19PM by space-time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 292
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015