advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bootable External Thunderbolt 2 Hard Drive for System and Apps with 5k iMac?
Posted by: JoeM
Date: October 11, 2018 05:18PM
My sis just got a 27" iMac 5K. Is there any Thunderbolt 2 drives out there that she could dependably run her system and apps from in the event her internal boot drive goes while she's working?

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bootable External Thunderbolt 2 Hard Drive for System and Apps with 5k iMac?
Posted by: hal
Date: October 11, 2018 05:31PM
I have yet to meet a thunderbolt external drive that WOULDN'T work as a bootable option.
Re: Bootable External Thunderbolt 2 Hard Drive for System and Apps with 5k iMac?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 11, 2018 05:55PM
USB3 would be a lot cheaper and you won't notice the small performance difference.

SSD: 512GB $85
[www.amazon.com]

USB3 case: $13
[www.amazon.com]

I had the same SSD (now have the 1TB version of same) and a case which looks like that one from yet another no-name Chinese outfit. Works great!
Posted by: modelamac
Date: October 11, 2018 06:12PM
JoeM
My sis just got a 27" iMac 5K. Is there any Thunderbolt 2 drives out there that she could dependably run her system and apps from in the event her internal boot drive goes while she's working?

Yes. Our sponsor has Docks that will hold both 3.5 and 2.5 drives (SSDs and spinners) that can connect to your iMac via Thunderbolt 2.

I have a 2015 27" iMac that is currently booted into 1 of 4 SSDs in a Thunderbolt 3 drive housing. It is connected to my T'bolt 2 iMac with a T'bolt 3-->T'bolt 2 adapter.

T'bolt devices and cables are not cheap, but they are wicked fast and reliable.

[eshop.macsales.com]

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 11, 2018 07:29PM
Lew Zealand
USB3 would be a lot cheaper and you won't notice the small performance difference.

This. Tbolt would be overkill and over spending for something she might never use.

She should have one drive for a TM backup and the SSD for bootable backups.

I like the m.2 drive since its smaller -- but she needs a usb C connection type if it’s a new 2017 imac

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 11, 2018 07:49PM
jdc
I like the m.2 drive since its smaller -- but she needs a usb C connection type if it’s a new 2017 imac

Cheap, easy, future proof.
[LA-_-Google-LIA-_-870881681-_-8504961&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQjw6fvdBRCbARIsABGZ-vSEF3oX66Hhs3x2EeN3E_b6unZHTere7yp2ltBq1i1OVjPC28owbtcaAhU7EALw_wcB" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.google.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"Trump is a moron." -- Steve G.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Date: October 12, 2018 08:27AM
Thanks everyone, I'll be passing this info on to her.

JoeM
Posted by: datbeme
Date: October 12, 2018 09:33AM
Agreed that the price premium just isn't worth it for TB2 for the use you proposed unless she's connecting a RAID. In addition to Lew's suggestion. This would be another good choice:

[www.bhphotovideo.com]

I have a couple of these. One for a bootable version of an earlier OS, and the other as a part of my backup plan for my MBP. If I had a 5K iMac, I'd probably attach that one directly to the back with some 3M velcro tape.

If she does want or need TB, please don't let her buy one of those portable spinny drives with a TB interface. LaCie and G-Drive sell those, and at 2-3x the price, it seems like a shakedown of people who think they need TB.
Date: October 12, 2018 10:58AM
datbeme
Agreed that the price premium just isn't worth it for TB2 for the use you proposed unless she's connecting a RAID. In addition to Lew's suggestion. This would be another good choice:

[www.bhphotovideo.com]

I have a couple of these. One for a bootable version of an earlier OS, and the other as a part of my backup plan for my MBP. If I had a 5K iMac, I'd probably attach that one directly to the back with some 3M velcro tape.

If she does want or need TB, please don't let her buy one of those portable spinny drives with a TB interface. LaCie and G-Drive sell those, and at 2-3x the price, it seems like a shakedown of people who think they need TB.

Thanks for the comment and link. That looks like a good solution for her.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018