advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Scribd, anyone? (for audiobooks)
Posted by: wurm
Date: October 11, 2018 07:55PM
I'm at a point where I'm (almost) willing to pay to listen to audiobooks. I've been borrowing CD audiobooks from the library or downloading from Overdrive via the library, then burning them to CD. Do you see a pattern here? I listen to audiobooks only during my commute and I DON'T want to listen to them with my iPhone. I prefer listening to them via CD, either mp3 CD or conventional audio CD. The only real downside is that often, books I want to listen to sometimes aren't available through the library, even with interlibrary loans.

I don't want to own them; I just want to borrow, then return (or destroy in the case of a self-burned mp3 CD). Therefore Audible isn't worth it for me, nor are most of the other subscription model services. Some other options are Hoopla (via library) or Scribd (via subscription, but at a reasonable price). The problem goes back to having to download and listen to them on my iPhone or other portable device. I like the convenience of CDs. I want to use my phone as a phone, not as a music player.

Am I out of luck or is there a relatively easy way to take the files off my iPhone and burn them to an mp3 CD, even for a single use?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Scribd, anyone? (for audiobooks)
Posted by: digby
Date: October 11, 2018 09:04PM
Hi, I'm digby and I'm addicted to audiobooks.

I felt like you, and even found a CD/cassette car stereo so I could listen to either format. But when I watched my daughter effortlessly play one of my favorite books from her phone (in MY car, yet!), I was intrigued.

What tipped me to listening from a phone wasn't just how easy Bluetooth was (once you pair it the first time, it automatically starts playing every time), how little battery it took (even if I don't plug it in, I lose maybe 5-10% on a long commute).

What hooked me was noticing that The Daughter was poking her phone and it would jump back if we missed a line. And sure enough, audiobooks had -30sec and a +30sec buttons!

(Now, I'm enough of a dinosaur that I don't trust things that only exist on my phone, so I download to my MacBookPro, to a playlist in iTunes. Then, when I sync, I get tasty audiobook goodness on my phone. This is not recommended ... I'll get over this eventually)

Another wonderful thing is that I can keep listening to my book when I leave the car. From the car to the house, while I'm doing laundry, to the gym, while I'm working out, walking the dog, in the grocery store... every time I get in the car, my book'll just transfer from earbuds to car speakers.

I'm almost done with a 16-disk Stephen King book and it's only taken me a week!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 11, 2018 09:26PM
Don't give up on Audible yet...

I have a Light membership - $7.95 for a year. No credits but I can buy books at member prices (incl. sales, just not the Daily Listen). You can also get Audible books cheaper sometimes by buy the Kindle and Audible together.

I use an old iPhone 4 in my car to listen. my old car doesn't have bluetooth, so I just have a 3.5 audio cable to the AUX input.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: davemchine
Date: October 11, 2018 11:20PM
I don’t know much about this topic but I found overdiive difficult to use. The same company has made a new app called Libby which I find much easier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2018 11:21PM by davemchine.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 11, 2018 11:29PM
I bought a $120 Android phone to try out Xfinity mobile. I call it my burner phone. comes in real handy as a gps on road trips where I don't want to devote my iPhone to navigation. I could also have it be my music or audio book player. IOW, get a cheap phone and use that for audiobooks.

at $15 a month I think audible is worth it. I'd use my one credit each month on a 10+ hour book. the only reason is I stopped it is I ran out of things I wanted to listen to. do podcast mostly these days.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2018 11:34PM by graylocks.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 12, 2018 09:37AM
Check if your library has Hoopla. It’s another app for streaming and/or downloading items from public libraries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2018 09:37AM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: wurm
Date: October 12, 2018 10:21AM
DeusxMac
Check if your library has Hoopla. It’s another app for streaming and/or downloading items from public libraries.

I do use Hoola on occasion for movies. But I don't want to stream audiobooks and I don't necessarily want them on my iPhone. I just found out from Scribd that While you can't download audiobooks for use in 3rd party media players, you can absolutely save them to the Scribd app for offline listening!

I can do that for free with Hoopla, if I wanted to. And I don't want to own the books, so that makes Audible that much more useless for me.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: October 12, 2018 06:13PM
Jeez I just checked my Audible library and there's 310 audiobooks, going back to 2010. I use my monthly credit and I buy a bunch of $5 titles when there's a sale. I can't even imagine life without my audiobooks.
Posted by: what4
Date: October 12, 2018 08:00PM
Overdrive and RBDigital (formerly "Recorded Books") are both available through some public libraries.

Our library shows different books on each of these, and I don't know if all libraries get the same selections.

Both have awkward interfaces that take getting used to, but, with some patience, you can.

Each has some really good titles, as well as a huge well of teen ethnic romance novels. At least here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 227
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018