advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do you participate in kick starters?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: October 13, 2018 09:07PM
I just saw a very cool kickstarter for a movie called Space Command Redemption. It seems I missed the opportunity to support it. So I have a two part question. 1) Do you participate in kick starters and 2) how do you find the ones you are interested in?

[www.kickstarter.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do you participate in kick starters?
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: October 13, 2018 09:17PM
I have. The musicians I follow have initiated kickstarter campaigns, one didn't get fully funded, so he's trying to do it on his own. I have no problems with kickstarter. And, they will advertise other kickstarters that I might be interested in. So far I have funded TB adapter for MacBook Pro, the Android Remix computer, and many musician albums.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 13, 2018 09:58PM
I participate with indiegogo rather than kickstarter, but it's still crowdfunding. I have dBud adjustable-volume ear plugs (work great), a posture-correcting device (haven't tried yet) and am awaiting a couple leather belts lined with kevlar to help them last longer than the 2 weeks of the Ironton belt I most recently bought.

I have not contributed to music or movies, though.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 13, 2018 10:28PM
I've supported projects on both Kickstarter and indiegogo. Start at either's homepage and start browsing; you'll see LOTS of projects looking for support.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 14, 2018 02:17AM
1. Yes.

2. Three methods. I get notifications about new items from the folks I've supported in the past; I see referrals on sites like Gizmodo; I occasionally browse projects at various crowdfunding sites.

3. You didn't ask, but out of the many projects I've supported, nearly every one arrived over six months late (two took over two years), one was a scam where they took everyone's money and walked, and one was never completed so never delivered. The most reliable ones are those where the maker has done multiple successful crowdfunding projects in the past and those where a key player is a high profile company (using it to feel out the market) or a high profile person (like that guy from The Oatmeal).

...Just because they were a couple of years late, that didn't mean the projects weren't really good and very interesting to follow.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 14, 2018 04:25AM
1) Only one.

2) I don't.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: October 14, 2018 08:37AM
I did until I was burned by a Kickstarter for "Superscreen" which was a larger screen to be used with your iPhone.

After 31 updates and several years it was all a scam and the guy kept 2.4 million dollars.

Kickstarter says it is not their responsibility but the individual party.

There is going to be a class action law suit but I doubt if anything will come of it.

Never again for Kickstarter.
Posted by: clay
Date: October 14, 2018 08:43AM
fmgtech
Kickstarter says it is not their responsibility but the individual party.

This tells me all I need to know. If a product is actually developed and is commercially viable, I can pick one up when it is widely available on the market. If I miss out on a "Kickstarter special deal" that saves me a couple of bucks on the front end, I think those savings are far outweighed by the potential losses incurred by one or two of the "take the money and run" stories that are seemingly common on these platforms with no checks/balances in place.

These platforms let you feel like an investor, with none of the protections/recourse afforded to "real" investors/financiers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2018 08:45AM by clay.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 14, 2018 08:44AM
Not anymore...the products either never ship or they are of much lower quality than initially promised.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 14, 2018 08:57AM
I’ve had plenty of great Kickstarter products including the portal WiFi router I’m posting on.

I think the creative projects like comic books and games etc go really well. Products ship on time.

Some hardware projects are very difficult to complete on time.
Date: October 14, 2018 07:11PM
If I miss out on a "Kickstarter special deal" that saves me a couple of bucks on the front end, I think those savings are far outweighed by the potential losses incurred by one or two of the "take the money and run" stories that are seemingly common on these platforms with no checks/balances in place.

This.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Date: October 14, 2018 07:36PM
RAMd®d
If I miss out on a "Kickstarter special deal" that saves me a couple of bucks on the front end, I think those savings are far outweighed by the potential losses incurred by one or two of the "take the money and run" stories that are seemingly common on these platforms with no checks/balances in place.

This.

You've never found anything unique and crafty? Nothing from an artist you already knew and liked? Nothing from someone who had done a bunch of successful kickstarters already with a history of reliability? Nothing from a mainstream manufacturer who was doing a test-market thing?

I think that you're missing out on some grand opportunities.

Out of dozens of projects, I've had two that didn't work out. One was a small-time scam that I lost $7 bucks on. Total loss amounted to about $20 over the course of over 9 years. In the meantime, I've gotten loads of fascinating works of art and technology and been among the first to take on immensely popular games. Even the failures have been kind of awesome because I've been able to follow the projects from start to ignominy. It's been a great ride.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2018 07:42PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 14, 2018 09:09PM
Only for friends projects, I don't really feel like gambling, at least not for real money.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 15, 2018 07:16AM
......well, love kickin' people to the curb......does that count.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: October 15, 2018 08:31PM
You've never found anything unique and crafty?

I didn't say or even imply that.

But you know that, don't you? And yet you chose to ignore that.

I think that you're missing out on some grand opportunities.

I don't think that I am, being in the best position to make that decision.

How 'bout keep the attribution accurate.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: JPK
Date: October 16, 2018 04:38PM
I was tempted by Wiral. It is a linear gimbal for video recording. They are now a year late in delivering. Never again will I spend $1 to a kickstarter.

JPK
Date: October 16, 2018 08:10PM
RAMd®d
How 'bout keep the attribution accurate.

"This" means that you're affirming the text that you cited as your own opinion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020