advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Loma Prieta Earthquake 29 years ago today
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 17, 2018 08:49PM
Oct 17, 1989. The date still puts me a little on edge, even though we were in Southern Cal on business.
Never will forget the aftermath.

youtu.be

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Loma Prieta Earthquake 29 years ago today
Posted by: wave rider
Date: October 17, 2018 10:12PM
I was driving city bus in Santa Cruz when it happened. It was a stunning event…

=wr=
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: October 17, 2018 11:30PM
I was in Santa Cruz - wave like ground movement.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 17, 2018 11:37PM
For some reason I don't remember the day of the month. I was at work. Nearly everybody was inside (waiting for the World Series to start on TV). Every piece of equipment with a vibration alarm shut down. The ground apparently liquefied and created 3 to 5 foot deep potholes in some areas where paving had been put over 15 year old landfill. It was pretty scary rushing around to get everything in a safe mode, wondering if the ground would collapse below you. I found out later that an in-law of one of my work friends had been crawling through the Cypress structure looking for survivors.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 18, 2018 03:42AM
I remember it well.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: October 18, 2018 07:03AM
That was horrifying..many friends living in SF at the time and some of them still PTSD on this one.

really weird how i could remember when it was gonna happen (recap replays) during the broadcast of the baseball game..had no clue that it was etched into my head. I haven't seen that video tape since it happened.
Posted by: Frank
Date: October 18, 2018 08:19AM
I was at home in San Jose. Our house was a rockin and a rollin but no serious damage. My wife volunteered as a disaster services nurse with the Red Cross. That event cemented our commitment to move to Kauai.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 18, 2018 10:09AM
The shaking started but then didn't stop, unlike every other quake.

Things started falling, lots of rattling. I had a stack of CDs that I was going through to rip. They vibrated off the stack a fell to the floor. Everything was still shaking.

I had the TV on (OTA), don't remember what I'd been watching. While the place was shaking, the station went off the air. It was several seconds in now, and I knew this was serious. Typically a quake around here lasted maybe three seconds, max. A quick shudder. This was different, more like a rolling and maybe five seconds at that point, maybe more.

I knew about the Hayward fault and wondered how bad this was going to get. Nothing broke or fell off the walls, but there was a lot of rattling and the quake itself was loud. it probably lasted around 13-14sec, I don't but it seemed like a very long time in quake years.

The TV has a raster going, having no signal for what had been maybe KGO (Ch.7), I think. It was a recorded show with indication of a quake. Trying the remote, I couldn't get any TV station. The rabbit ears were still on the set, but now almost horizontal. Then I realized the Mt. Sutro antenna must be down. Turning on my receiver, some local FM stations were off the air as well. At the time I didn't have AM in the house.

Born and raised in CA, earthquakes were nothing new, and it was funny to see people from out of state react to the little shakes. There was no real damage and no broken windows, but I knew it was really bad somewhere. Then I heard about the 880 freeway.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 18, 2018 10:40AM
I wasn't there, but I remember it.
The next morning, some friends and I got together, and one girl hadn't heard about it yet (a little oblivious, sure...).
She had been driving north from her sisters house in San Francisco. She had been on the 880 freeway less than two hours before the quake.

She had a bad day until she found out her sister was OK.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 18, 2018 10:44AM
We were in a lamaze class in Truckee, CA (200 miles away) and felt the slight jiggle. Our first thought was that it was a small local quake, until someone ran into the room and reported that it was the big one.

Pretty much our entire family was living in the Santa Cruz mountains at the time, so some general panic did set in for us. We did not hear from anyone for 48 hours. My inlaws lost their chimney and most of their windows as the house shifted on the foundation.

We had been there a month earlier when a temblor around 5.0 hit and that started our discussion of not wanting to ever be there for the big one.

Every earthquake I feel these days makes me immediately turn on the news.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 18, 2018 11:36AM
Frank
I was at home in San Jose. Our house was a rockin and a rollin but no serious damage. My wife volunteered as a disaster services nurse with the Red Cross. That event cemented our commitment to move to Kauai.

Before or after Iniki ? ? ?
(approx 3 years after LP quake)
==
Posted by: Frank
Date: October 18, 2018 11:50AM
Buzz
Frank

Before or after Iniki ? ? ?
(approx 3 years after LP quake)
==
Wherever you go there are natural disasters to contend with. Iniki was a terrible hurricane ... but with hurricanes you can see them coming and prepare (kinda).
We bought land to build on just before Iniki hit, in '92. Built our home in '96, quit my job and waved goodbye to California in '97.
Posted by: August West
Date: October 18, 2018 12:04PM
The most vivid memory for me was about 15 minutes after, when the smoke started coming over the hill from the marina and into the mission. That was nerve-wracking. Friends were stuck in Muni tunnels, and we watched thousands of people walk up Market from downtown, many telling us the bay bridge had collapsed.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: timg
Date: October 18, 2018 01:47PM
I was at work at AMD on the 2nd floor. Remember the beginning that just kept going and looking out the window and the telephone poles waving back and forth.

The building I was in had an active wafer fabrication facility in it (with lots of potentially deadly gases), so shortly after the shaking stopped a security guy ran through the area and told everyone to get out. We went across the street to a pizza place/bar and had pizza and beer while watching all the news updates about the cypress structure, the bay bridge and the marina fire on what seemed like an infinite loop.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 18, 2018 04:07PM
I was So Cal on business with about 6 coworkers, certifying a robot cell for circuit board assembly. We were buying beer close to the hotel where we were staying. I felt a jolt in the concrete floor of the store. I remember thinking that it must have been a pretty big truck hitting a speed bump. We got back and turned on the TV to watch the World Series and saw all the news reporting about ten minutes after the quake. I realized the jolt I felt in the store must have been the quak. A few of us were able to call families up around San Francisco, who were OK, but the lines were all jammed soon after. Common thing from the wives was that they were driving and thought they'd gotten a flat tire, but didn't suspect a quake until they noticed a lot of other people who had pulled over to check their tires. Airports were all closed, so we hopped in the big rented Lincoln and drove all night, getting to the San Fran area around 4 AM and from around Berkeley saw SF completely dark except for the fires in the Marina district.

I rode over to the collapsed freeway on my bike next morning. There were still people trapped.

My house was in the East Bay. Nothing was amiss, nothing fell inside, but the foundation cracked and settled an inch in one spot. I was lucky to have earthquake insurance, which was impossible to get afterwards. Repairs to my foundation was only about $3k.

At the Fremont plant, which was built on fill, the assembly lines were out of alignment from the floor shifting and settling. The worst loss there, aside from lost production, was the wave solder machine, which held gallons and gallons of molten solder, which sloshed out all over the machine and the floor. Power went out, so all of it solidfied. They had to scrap the machine, probably in the six figure range. If I recall, it took two weeks to ramp up again.

Posted by: Kate
Date: October 19, 2018 08:55PM
We were at home in Felton (about 4 miles from Santa Cruz proper). It was pretty darn terrifying. The worst part is we had been involved in the Love Creek mudslide several years before. Then, we were on the 14th floor of the Pan Pacific Hotel across the street from Disneyland when the Northridge hit.
We really felt cursed for several years.

Kate
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018