advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Nosy Friday Poll: Ever had a package go MIA ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 19, 2018 02:50PM
Poll
50 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
I've ______ had a package go missing in transit

Thinking about the last mile Amazon delivery folks in the threat below. Have you ever lost something ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Nosy Friday Poll: Ever had a package go MIA ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 19, 2018 02:52PM
I did have one evaporate early this month. Somewhere in Akron there is a box with some pillow case protectors and nice little velvet fountain pen bags for mrs. cbelt3's fountain pen fetish. But it happens very rarely.. perhaps once a year or so.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 19, 2018 03:12PM
Somewhere in the bushes of my neighborhood is a small package of five cheap ties. Retail value, $9. Supposedly delivered, but I was in the house at them time, checking the porch for deliveries every hour or so, and no such package ever graced my porch, or a porch pirate was quite prompt. If snatched, I hope the thief used the ties in a successful job interview so he doesn't have to steal things anymore.

That is the only thing to have gone missing that I can recall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2018 03:13PM by Acer.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 19, 2018 03:13PM
.....some times......some packages.....get.......fondled........it happens......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 19, 2018 03:13PM
Been awhile. But had one not arrive in the last 2 years.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 19, 2018 03:16PM
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 19, 2018 03:28PM
Maybe twice in my life, a parcel disappeared for a couple of weeks or three, but never gone.

There have been maybe three or four times over the last few years when USPS Tracking said 'It's here!' and it wasn't, until the next day.

But never gone.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 19, 2018 03:29PM
I've shipped 1000s of packages within the US and every one of them made it to their destination. One USPS package heading from the west coast to NC took 31 days to arrive, but that was during the anthrax in the mail scare right after 911. Another took 16-17 days. One UPS package was poked by a spike of some kind and cosmetically ruined a 2009 MBP (although it still worked and I sold it after I got a settlement) - but it arrived.

I am very careful in packaging my stuff. 99% goes out with a signature required. I make sure that the label is not going to rub off or get damaged. I make sure that the boxes are strong - I literally pack such that they can withstand being raised overhead and thrown down to the ground with full force.

A USPS employee once told me (while I was talking about that 31 day package) that if it's insured and priority, it DOESN'T GET LOST. I found that hard to believe, but it's been true for me.

edit - I realize I may not have answered the right question. Yes - I've had several packages coming to me, not arrive. Usually it's Amazon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2018 03:31PM by hal.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 19, 2018 03:34PM
Yup...

It was a $2,200 smallbore target rifle.
Let me tell you, when the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (an agency renowned for having ZERO sense of humor when it comes to firearms that just "go missing" in shipping - Fast and Furious aside...) calls the local-yokel shipping dock and says "we know it got as far as you... if you don't have it delivered in 24 hours, we'll be interviewing every employee"...

Stuff happens.
It was delivered by an angry looking Airborne Express driver fairly soon after.
Then I got the fun of going through the process of getting reported "UN-Stolen".

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: davemchine
Date: October 19, 2018 03:37PM
Sometimes I find a package thrown into the bushes by the gate to our development, sometimes we neighbors get together and exchange misdelivered packages, and a few times they have shown as delivered but who knows where they went. I once received a package addressed to someone two states away. Amazon told me to keep it.
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 19, 2018 03:44PM
Ever had a package go MIA ?

See my four part series on Amazon's delivery service.

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 19, 2018 03:45PM
hal

A USPS employee once told me (while I was talking about that 31 day package) that if it's insured and priority, it DOESN'T GET LOST. I found that hard to believe, but it's been true for me.

That's probably true. It all depends upon what internal controls they place on shipping, and if they require a signature.

A lot of people don't realize it, but classified material can be sent through the mail.

Confidential material can be sent via certified mail, and Secret material can be sent via registered mail. I've done this before.

It all depends upon how the chain of custody is handled.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 19, 2018 03:55PM
I mailed and UPSed thousands of packages in the past. Of the handful of USPS packages that got lost, probably 90% ended up being due to a substitute postal worker. UPS lost way more and when they did, who knows why.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: October 19, 2018 04:20PM
I had a package end up about 2000 miles from where I live. The seller seemed satisfied that it had ended up in the right country, and required some convincing to try again.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 19, 2018 04:24PM
I stopped ordering from Newegg while at my previous address because they were using OnTrac, and my Zip Code was assigned to what seemed to be the worst run shipping hub in California. I had multiple items delivered without notification that the items were out for delivery. I would get the delivery notice 4 to 6 hours after the item was delivered and they were stolen 'not at my door' twice in a six week period. I stopped Newegg while I lived there because they could not guarantee they wouldn't use OnTrac for any amount of money.

I had a shipment split up by Amazon and the last part just disappeared into the aether of space. It was marked shipped, my card was charged and I was given a bogus shipping number. Ten days later they issued a refund and said I had to re-order. Well, by that time it was too late to have it delivered before I left on a quick visit to relatives, so I didn't need it any more. Home Depot and WorstBuy got my money.

I had one delivery that I assume was by the fledgling in-house Amazon delivery service. The driver left it sitting on my mailbox at the curb, which isn't easily visible from my house. The driver wasn't willing to turn around and drive the 50 feet back to my driveway and throw it at my front door.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 19, 2018 04:53PM
Two large, heavy shipments from Chewy. No clue where they were “delivered”. Chewy uses Fedex.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 19, 2018 05:47PM
2012 Christmas, iPhone 5 was never delivered. UPS said out for delivery, they never came. Apple issued refund. Bought iPhone at Apple Store on Dec 26. Wife was very understanding...

then AppleTV was delivered it my neighbors. I initiated a FedEx tracking, they said delivered... neighbor brought it over.

An amazon package did not arrived in about 2 weeks (that was before I got prime), Amazon sent replacement. A day after I got the replacement, the original item also arrived. Amazon said I could pay for it the original price (which was heavily discounted). I did.

there may have been a couple I don't recall right now.
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: October 19, 2018 05:57PM
When my son was away at college and living in Jersey City, it was the rule rather than the exception that packages went missing and never showed up. Reading online reviews of the local P.O. suggested that this was standard practice. I'm not sure if it was larcenous deliverers/local sorters or deadbeats in his apartment complex, but after awhile we gave up sending care packages. Now he's in Brooklyn and everything shows up. At our own house in CA we'll have an occasional Amazon package go missing every several years, but it's rare.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 19, 2018 06:03PM
cbelt,

My answer may skew your results since it includes items I've ordered as a customer and shipped as a vendor. Far more common is boxes damaged and items lost in transit. UPS has been especially bad when it comes to this over the last year.

Robert
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 19, 2018 06:37PM
Two recent Amazon packages went MIA, as did a few others over the years. A few non-Amazon packages have evidently been delivered to wrong addresses and never been found.
==
Posted by: Robert M
Date: October 19, 2018 06:39PM
Buzz,

Amazon packages shipped from amazon by a different carrier or packages shipped from and transported by an Amazon carrier? We have to differentiate it these days.

Robert
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 19, 2018 07:07PM
The two recents were from Amazon direct. The earlier Amazon no-shows I don't recall the affiliation/shipping if not Amazon direct.
We're in a fairly highly populated area, and packages and letters are famously known for mis-delivery around here. It's just something we have to deal with. Circa 2005, we were in Hawaii when a camera I had hoped to have been delivered before we left, was erroneously delivered to the alpha equivalent of our numeric unit, three buildings up the street. Finally figured out that the apartment up the street was being worked on the day the camera was delivered, and that one of the workerbees likely ended up w/ a "free" camera. It took a couple of months for the vendor and UPS to haggle things out.
==
Posted by: Fritz
Date: October 20, 2018 08:59AM
yea, my cassette walkman coming back from a gig. Went to another similar address in town. Even with much prompting, never got it back.
But that was at the leading edge of CD walkman, so I didn't care so much.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 21, 2018 06:48PM
UPS delivered a package which was left at my garage's back door. It was winter when we never go back there. A week later I complained. The UPS driver called to tell me where he left it. I sheepishly thanked him and apologized.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 21, 2018 07:07PM
You mean like this?

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018